Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:28 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,754,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How do you figure?
When a "peeping tom " gets caught, is he more likely to be peeking in the bedroom window of an 80 year old grandmother or an 18 year old beauty ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,626,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
what?
Uh, he stated that dressing provocatively may make a woman more likely to be a victim of rape. That is not the same as a woman literally standing there and saying "Hey, I'm out to have sex tonight, so give it to me whether I really want it or not, because the way I dress is more indicative of my desire than my own words." That is the only INVITATION TO RAPE that exists.

The fact I have to explain this is pretty annoying but hey that's city-data for you.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:07 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,588,650 times
Default Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I can't tell you how many people i have come across that believe attractive women are likely to be raped.
Also,many people believe that petite women are more likely to be raped.

City Data is esp ripe with the above myths.

Where do people get these ideas from?

I thought everyone knew that rape is about power?
Everyone knows that rape is about SEX. That's why the perpetrator follows through on the sex act (oral or otherwise) instead of just being satisfied that he/she invoked extreme fear in the victim, which in itself empowering to the perp.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:22 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,754,258 times
If rape is not about sex, why does the male have an orgasm ?

Very rare for a male to have an orgasm if he just beats up a woman.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,480,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Everyone knows that rape is about SEX. That's why the perpetrator follows through on the sex act (oral or otherwise) instead of just being satisfied that he/she invoked extreme fear in the victim, which in itself empowering to the perp.
There are sex crimes that don't even involve the physical act. Some use objects to rape the victim and some use the act of stabbing a victim as a form of sexual penetration. The psychology of it is very interesting but it's not just about sex. If it was just about sex a lot of perps have sexual partners but they need more than consensual sex to satisfy their depraved needs. Sex is also used as a means of domination. Soldiers often use rape on a population they are at war with.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM

24,558 posts, read 17,308,779 times
Rape happens at a low percentage where a woman is abducted at knife point from a dark alley. What happens in a higher pecentage is a woman, usually attractive is hanging out with a bunch of friends and drinking. They get drunk and either cannot respond or the guy is so drunk too that he doesn't know NO means NO!
Rape can happen to anyone male or female but it is usually the attractive girl who gets invited to the party in the first place.
Taking alcohol away from the situation would greatly reduce the accounts of rape.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia1961 View Post
People like my husband also believe that provocative, low-cut clothing is an invitation to rape. He just will not let go of this thinking.

The fact is that women in their 80's and even 90's have been raped. Do these women also "ask for it"? Definitely not!! Rape is about power and control expressed in a sexual manner.
What do rapists think? Do they think provocative clothing is an invitation to rape? Do they think a woman behaving very provocatively might want sex?

It doesn't really matter what non-rapists think of the slutty clothing, it's what the rapists think.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:16 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,336,019 times
Some rapes are out of sexual frustration and when the rapist sees a pretty female who would probably not want to be with them out of their own free will, the only way to act on that frustration and esteem problem is to take them by force. I think it stems from low esteem and a feeling of being powerless/worthless or a messed up way of thinking since childhood. No one asks to be raped or molested. Seeing scantily dressed people is just an excuse used by the rapist. Control yourself! Just because a person dresses like a prostitute, doesn't mean she's asking to be violated.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,844,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannis View Post
I don't really think there is. A girl who is half-dressed and shaking her body parts all over the dance floor or at a party is essentially inviting trouble, particularly if she's intoxicated. The signal she is sending, deliberately or not, is that she wants sexual attention.
That makes it okay then, doesn't it?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,724,574 times
Just like the myth that 1 in 4 women are raped and that has been disproven so many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies