Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post

One more thing...in the 70's it was only known as Black History Week!
Does that mean we can look forward to Black History Year?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Does that mean we can look forward to Black History Year?
We'll if the history is taught then I don't think there would be the need for a year, month or week. So far that's not the case...

Old 12-11-2007, 04:47 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
We'll if the history is taught then I don't think there would be the need for a year, month or week. So far that's not the case...
In my history classes, we learned history. Each grade focussed on a different time period of history - and that's what was taught - colorlessly.

There were different types of History classes well. If you wanted to learn about African history, there was a class. If you wanted to learn Asian history, voila! If you wanted to learn European history, there you go.

In my AP Euro class, first day of February came - teacher walked in and said "If you want to learn Black History, you should've taken the African History class."

Old 12-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I wonder about this myself. To me, when someone's place in history is relegated to a smaller portion of history, it somehow cheapens their standing.

I'm a great admirer of Rosa Parks and the Tuskeegee Airmen among others, I don't believe we should refer to them as having a place in Black History, I think we should refer to them as having a place in American History.
Yes I agree it should be part of American History but when I was in school about 15 years ago the Tuskeegee Airmen were never mentioned in my history classes. I only learned about then when I took a Black History Class.

The little bit of information regarding blacks in history I received up until that point was just he big names: Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, George Washington Carver, etc.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
In my history classes, we learned history. Each grade focussed on a different time period of history - and that's what was taught - colorlessly.

There were different types of History classes well. If you wanted to learn about African history, there was a class. If you wanted to learn Asian history, voila! If you wanted to learn European history, there you go.

In my AP Euro class, first day of February came - teacher walked in and said "If you want to learn Black History, you should've taken the African History class."

I agree that is how it should be. Unfortunately it's not like that everywhere which is part of the reason Black History month was created.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
I agree that is how it should be. Unfortunately it's not like that everywhere which is part of the reason Black History month was created.
However, it's become monotonous - the classes that do teach in accordance with Black History month, are teaching the same things again and again.

Will February always be doomed for a preset of lectures deemed appropriate by an administration to only tell the politically correct side to the history of attaining equality?

This along with all Affirmative Action programs have only succeeded in creating a group of stereotypical humans who honestly feel entitled because of wrong-doings they never experienced first hand.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
However, it's become monotonous - the classes that do teach in accordance with Black History month, are teaching the same things again and again.

Will February always be doomed for a preset of lectures deemed appropriate by an administration to only tell the politically correct side to the history of attaining equality?

This along with all Affirmative Action programs have only succeeded in creating a group of stereotypical humans who honestly feel entitled because of wrong-doings they never experienced first hand.
No, this just sounds like your opinion. From where I sit I don't see this viewpoint. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I disagree with the "group of stereotypical humans" part of your comment.

Hopefully the time will come that Black History month will no longer be needed. I can just about guarantee that for every person who thinks it's motonous, there are 5 others who see it as a help and a learning experience.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,912 times
Good lord, what is wrong with you people? Why does everybody get so upset when Black people have their own little "something"? Seriously, every other minority, ethnicity, sexual orientation in this country can have their own history month, parades, special events, etc and no one makes a peep. So what if Black History month is no longer needed (according to some folks)? Is an Asian history month needed? Is an Irish parade needed? Is a gay parade needed? Is Cinco De Mayo needed? Is Telemundo needed? I don't run out and cry when I see little Irish girls on tv doing their little clogging dance during their special month. No one seems to get offended when other cultures rep themselves but when When Black people do it, here come the crybabies. Its like some of you are actually personally insulted. Can someone please enlighten me as to why that is?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Well....parades and such aren't normally gov't sponsored like black history month.

What other ethnic group has gov't sponsored celebrations?

People can celebrate anything they like,doesn't bother me in the least.

When the Gov't mandates it I take exception.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well....parades and such aren't normally gov't sponsored like black history month.

What other ethnic group has gov't sponsored celebrations?

People can celebrate anything they like,doesn't bother me in the least.

When the Gov't mandates it I take exception.
Really, though, what difference does that make? I'm genuinely asking, not being sardonic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies