Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I thought parents were supposed to feed their kids
Well according to Pres George W Bush:

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."

Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If the kids don't like the food, they can bring their own. It is not mandatory that they eat the food provided by the school, you know.

I'd also like to see your proof that 'before the program...there was no need for dinners...'.
Show me when there was a time that public schools served "dinner"? Or other public schools that are serving dinner.

I never had a school dinner when I was in school, nor did my daughter, nor does my grandson. This is the first I have heard about school dinners. I guess you know something about schools serving dinner and most people don't.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Show me when there was a time that public schools served "dinner"? Or other public schools that are serving dinner.

I never had a school dinner when I was in school, nor did my daughter, nor does my grandson. This is the first I have heard about school dinners. I guess you know something about schools serving dinner and most people don't.
It seems that more parents aren't feeding their kids so the government through the schools is picking up the slack.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Congress changed the laws in 2012.
Up to then schools provides snacks, not meals.

But millions of children are hungry so Congress changed it to full meals instead of snacks.
They also added weekends, holidays and summer meals to the program.

Are we fighting obesity, starvation or both here ?

The issue was pushed by the Afterschool Alliance, a nonprofit funded by educational think tank foundations.
Millions of kids are going hungry because their parents aren't feeding them.
Why aren't we outraged at this act of child abuse that is becoming so prevalent in our society ?
Happy Texan, I wish I had all the answers!

I wish I could somehow mandate that parents must feed their children.

This is the human condition; some are good and rich. Some are good and poor. Some are bad and rich; some are bad and poor. There are rich, middle class, and poor who are just average people, trying to do the best they can for their children.

Most people are, or would be, against social engineering. I know that I would. Until the government has complete control over how we are born; how we are raised; how we are educated; what work we do and where we live, there will always be good and bad people/parents.

I also would not trust the government to have that much control over my life! There are good and bad governments, also.

Some people think we should cease all 'government handouts'.
Some people think we should increase 'government handouts'.

But it's all in the wording.

Government handouts can also be construed to be a social safety net. Would America let it's poorest people starve and die in the streets? Isn't that what happens in third world countries?

So, it's always the same dilemna; there seems to be no viable middle ground, at least between the most radical factions.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

First you show me that there was no need...

Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
If the kids don't like the food, they can bring their own. It is not mandatory that they eat the food provided by the school, you know.

I'd also like to see your proof that 'before the program...there was no need for dinners...'.
Agreed. When my kids did HS sports, getting dinner fit in was difficult. As I said upthread, I would have loved something like this, and gladly paid $3.50 for a more balanced meal than they could get at a McDonald's drive-through for that. There was no time to go to a sit-down restaurant, that's for sure, and by the time they got home, DH and I had long eaten dinner. It was either warm up some leftovers (if there were any) or make Ramen Noodles or box Mac 'N Cheese. Then there was clean up.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Feeding them breakfast, lunch and dinner while also handing their parents Food Stamp money.

Yes it is a sign of decline when the government has to step in and feed people's kids.
How do you know that some of those parents aren't collecting food stamps and that they are just taking advantage of a program? How do you know that every single child that receives the meals comes from a family that is getting government assistance? How do you know those things??

Old 05-13-2014, 02:13 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Because the kids get free breakfast and lunch at school. And cafeterias at schools with a high free/reduced lunch % serve free meals in the summer too.
So those families only have to feed their kids dinner and then on the weekends. And some schools send the kids home with backpacks of food for the weekends too.

The average food stamp benefit per person is $124.69 (Jan 2014). Straight from the usda website. So if you have 4 people in your house, on average you receive $490 per month. And you don't have to feed your kids lunch or dinner during the school week.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...NAPmonthly.pdf

Wow - I'd be living high off the hog! My food budget for the month is $400 for myself, hubby, and grown son - then add in toilet paper, paper towels, soaps, and dog food for 3 dogs. I always use coupons and only buy sale items at the grocery store. I shop at Aldi's and the Dollar store. We eat a lot of ground beef, chicken, tuna, grilled cheese, eggs and home made pizza. I stock pile when things are on sale so I'm never paying full price.

I have no problem with reduced lunches - my kids had them for a couple of months when my husband had to take a pay cut when they were younger - but they actually preferred brown bagging it so we didn't utilize it much.

But schools are to teach - not to babysit and that's what this culture has become. My nephews play sports after school and don't get home till 6 - they take a granola bar or pop tart with a bottle of water if they get hungry - all available at the $1 store. Also most of the kids that play sports are in 6th grade and up - they can be responsible enough to grab a snack - it's not like they're 5 or 6 yrs old.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
So, if my daughter was involved with after-school sports until 5:00pm or so I should leave work to bring her food?
Brown bag it, as already discussed.

Why in the heck are people asking questions that indicate they seem to have never had to live in the real world?

Tens of millions of schoolchildren and working adults, alike, bring meals from home to school and work every day.

Hell, even way back when I was in school and there was no such thing as school dinner, on the days I stayed late for extracurricular activities I'd bring extra food. Lunch and a snack to hold me over until dinner at home. It's not that hard. It's bleeping common sense.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Brown bag it, as already discussed.

Why in the heck are people asking questions that indicate they seem to have never had to live in the real world?

Tens of millions of schoolchildren and working adults, alike, bring meals from home to school and work every day.

Hell, even way back when I was in school and there was no such thing as school dinner, on the days I stayed late for extracurricular activities I'd bring extra food. Lunch and a snack to hold me over until dinner at home. It's not that hard. It's bleeping common sense.
Either people posting such things lack problem-solving skills or they believe that many other people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies