Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 04:34 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I love it how you (in one breath) claim "As amazing of a revelation as it might be to you, your ideas are not the absolute truth of the universe." - just after proclaiming the "absolute truth" that "No, it doesn't make them feel less guilty because they have no reason to feel guilt in the first place.".

Oh the irony.

Ken
No, sorry, but your attempt at accusing me of hypocrisy fails. See, I am one of those Southerners who feels no responsibility for the Civil War. You were on your moral high horse telling me why I feel that way. You don't get to tell me what I feel or why I feel it. Notice how when I accused you of projection, I prefaced it with "apparently" because unlike you, I do not claim to tell other people what their motivations are.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, sorry, but your attempt at accusing me of hypocrisy fails. See, I am one of those Southerners who feels no responsibility for the Civil War. You were on your moral high horse telling me why I feel that way. You don't get to tell me what I feel or why I feel it. Notice how when I accused you of projection, I prefaced it with "apparently" because unlike you, I do not claim to tell other people what their motivations are.
You ALREADY DID claim to tell other people what their motivations are when you posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And your guess would be nonsensical drivel. There is not one single individual alive today who held a slave prior to the civil war. Therefore, not one of us in the South bears any responsibility for the war or for slavery.

No, it doesn't make them feel less guilty because they have no reason to feel guilt in the first place. This is apparently just you engaging in projection. Since you think they're guilty, then their ideas must simply be used to feel less guilt. That's nonsense. As amazing of a revelation as it might be to you, your ideas are not the absolute truth of the universe. Other people actually do have sincerely held beliefs that do not agree with yours.
You didn't say "it doesn't make ME feel less guilty" you said "it doesn't make THEM feel less guilty" - so RIGHT THERE you CLAIMED TO TELL OTHER PEOPLE WHAT THEY FEEL and what their motivations are".

So you lie about what YOU YOURSELF just posted?????
And apparently feel no shame about it - which goes a long way towards why you feel no guilt either.
Some people are just like that.

So if you feel no guilt, why don't you just admit the South went to war to keep slavery? After all, the OFFCIAL DECLARATIONS OF SUCCESSION or several states, came right out and said that EXPLICITLY. They SPELLED IT OUT. They left the union and went to war because of Northern animosity towards slavery - the successionist writers of the Declarations of Succession wrote that straight out. They didn't beat around the bush, they didn't hint at it, they said it EXPLICITLY.

Ken

Old 06-01-2014, 09:13 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wow.

You are simply mindlessly reposting your own mindless diatribes?
This explains why you couldn't even get into a UC nor graduate program. Get some reading comprehension gramps.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
This explains why you couldn't even get into a UC nor graduate program. Get some reading comprehension gramps.
Actually, Harrier had guaranteed admission to a couple UC campuses.

Harrier may apply to a graduate program, after he attains his bachelor's degree.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:37 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually, Harrier had guaranteed admission to a couple UC campuses.

Harrier may apply to a graduate program, after he attains his bachelor's degree.
Well Harrier may want to get a second opinion about history because southern democrats were conservatives. Doesn't matter what you think or say, it's a fact.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
While Lincoln, the most prominent Republican, was a progressive. Crazy, but true.
Yeah, he was "big government" guy - as was the GOP in general in those days. Increase the centralized power of the Federal government, reduce the localized power of the States, institute a military draft, suspend the Writ of Habeas Corpus, government giveaways in the form of land grants to settlers (and later to the railroads) and social engineering in the South after the Civil War (where the Federal government restructured the entire Southern society).

Yup, those are all Big government activities. Not much like the GOP positions today, that's for sure. Lincoln and his GOP successors transformed the U.S. from a collection of states with small central government into a nation with a strong central government and relatively weak state governments under the thumb of that central government. Even the way American's REFERED to their country changed as a result of the consolidation of power under the Federal government during the Civil War. Prior to the war the U.S. was referred as "THESE United States" whereas after the war the term became "THE United States" - signifying the emergence of a single center of power. The U.S. was created as the result of the Revolutionary War, but the U.S. of TODAY has it's roots in the changes to the power relationship between the Federal Government and the individual States that Lincoln began.
He (and the GOP at the time) were the architects and enablers of BIG GOVERNMENT - and they transformed America FOREVER.

Ken

Old 06-01-2014, 01:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No, the radical Republicans were far left liberals from the north and Democrats were conservatives from the south. Republicans supported ending slavery and giving blacks equal rights while conservative/reactionary Democrats where from the south were against it. As many here have said, most Americans are stupid people who don't even know their own history or how the two parties ended up switching places in the "Great Realignment".

Because the parties switched left-right sides the proper way to view history in America is that Conservatives were for slavery and against equal rights while liberals were against slavery and for equal rights. Most of our RWNJs here ignore those facts.
Precisely.

The parties have switched their stance on various things over time, but think of it this way - in the past, the Democrats used to win the South, now the Republicans do.

Only one of two things could have happened:

1) The parties changed their views: In short, the parties swapped views on race relations, etc. Thus, the Democrats that back then opposed civil rights would now the far right-wing Republicans who opposed civil rights.

2) The people and culture flipped to their exact opposite: This solution is impossible since it would mean the part of the nation that was once the most racially divided and opposed to civil rights is now the the most integrated and in favor of civil rights. Obviously, this idea just doesn't make any sense and is not supported by any facts or history.

Summary: So, the only option is that the parties switched viewpoints, which explains why the South - which was once strongly held by the Democrats - is now strongly held by the Republicans. Sadly, the backward, bigoted views haven't changed, but a different party is now playing off of them for support. After all, nobody can with a straight face tell me that the Republicans who passed the Civil Rights Act of years ago are members of the same ideology as the Tea Party today, even if they are both technically "Republicans."

Last edited by Rambler123; 06-01-2014 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 01:39 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Let's see if his excellency history major harrier does.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:36 AM

594 posts, read 345,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Even Ronald Reagan exclaimed, My party has left me, I didn't leave the party.

And you get two progressive parties, looking to control people.
I agree, both the democratic and republican parties are the same, in that neither of their party leaders want to control spending, both love expanding the size and scope and authority of the federal government. The only difference is that the republican leaders prefer a slower, les despotic pace, but seem to like the downwarrd tragectory of where this country is heading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies