Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,380,743 times

Advertisements

A Personal Anecdote in Defense of Ronald Reagan by Mark Shields on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

I heard Michael Reagan relate this story years ago on his syndicated radio show, and have been hunting for written confirmation ever since. Thanks to a debate on another thread, I ran across the above link.

This comes from longtime liberal pundit Mark Shields, and it starts like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shields
After citing in a recent column the example of then-candidate Ronald Reagan's using a regional term of racial disrespect — referring to "a strapping young buck"... I added this line: "Reagan, who I can attest was free of racial prejudice in his personal life ..."
What followed was a cascade of e-mails and anonymous voice mails ... I was informed repeatedly by liberal readers that categorically Mr. Reagan was a confirmed racist.
That was and is untrue. Let me tell you why.
Shields goes on to tell the story of Reagan and William Burghardt, who played together on the Eureka college football team. Burghardt, known as 'Burgie' was the teams center, and was black. The team was in Illinois to play a game not far from Reagan's hometown of Dixon. When they went to check into their hotel, they were told that the two black players, including Burghardt, could not stay there. The upset coach decided that they would all sleep on the bus instead. Reagan pulled the coach aside and pointed out that this might create a problem for Burghardt and the other black player, a guy named Jim Rattan, because they might feel responsible for having inconvenienced the entire team.

Quote:
Reagan, as Burghardt would later learn, had his own plan. The coach would tell the team that the hotel did not have enough rooms for everybody. So Reagan, with cash borrowed from the coach for the 15-mile cab ride to Dixon, brought his two teammates to sleep and to eat at the home of his parents, Jack and Nelle Reagan, who, Burghardt would still recall a half-century later, warmly welcomed him.
Shields talks about having had lunch with Burghart, who related the story to him. Burghardt wound up as a college prof and was Dr. Burghardt by the time Shields met him. This all would have taken place circa 1930.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Y'know, I never even heard other liberals claiming that Reagan was a racist. He's accused of a lot of things, but honestly that's not one I've heard before. Wonder why you felt like you had to make a whole thread about it.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,380,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Y'know, I never even heard other liberals claiming that Reagan was a racist. He's accused of a lot of things, but honestly that's not one I've heard before. Wonder why you felt like you had to make a whole thread about it.
You need to get around more.

The racism at the heart of the Reagan presidency - Salon.com

Clip: Ronald Reagan's Racially Tinged Stump Speeches | Blog, Moyers Moments | BillMoyers.com

Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,596 times
So because one person says something it obviously resolves all doubts for all time. Despite the vast amount of evidence that Reagan thrived on stoking racial issues.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/200...ype=blogs&_r=0

You do realize that "I have a black friend" is probably the most stereotypical defense to racism that exists.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,635,434 times
This will never suffice for the Demodummies!

They hate/hated Ronnie, laughed their f@@@ing a$$es off when he was shot....wailed and gnashed their teeth when he pulled-through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies