Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hmm kinda like the big corporations who cut wages and benefits so that they can get max profits or payouts for there wealthy investors and CEOs?

I agree welfare is anything taken from the taxpayer or government that goods or service are not offered in return. I just have an ethical conflict. I cant figure out who is uglier, the lazy poor guy who won't work, or the people like the Walton who have all the benefits and opportunities of wealth but demand local government to pay
Well then write your Congressman and urge him to turn our government communist and take control of all business. Then you'll get your "living wage".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM

155 posts, read 89,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Uhmm obviously there was a redistribution of wealth awhile back when the top riches people in our country own more wealth then almost all of our countries citizens? Do you agree?
NO, NO, NO, NO, a thousand times NO. There was a dis equal earning of money, because some perform, and others, ahem, don't.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:14 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
So, my children talked me into getting McDonalds for dinner tonight, which rarely happens. Let's take a look at my experience in light of the minimum wage argument.

First, the woman in the drive-thru, while obviously American born, had an incomplete grasp of the English language. Seriously, anyone who speaks Ebonics in public should be dropped on an island in the Arctic and left to fend for themselves.

Next, I ordered my wife's meal with a Coca-Cola. When they handed me the cup, the beverage in it was Sprite. I had to show them the receipt where it said Coke in order to get it fixed.

My daughters' happy meals were both handed to me without toys in them.

When I got home, I realized that the 6 piece happy meal only had 5 nuggets in it. Apparently basic counting skills aren't required anymore.

And these are the people who deserve $15 an hour? Quite frankly, from my experience this evening they don't even deserve a job. Maybe with their advanced math skills we can just tell them we're giving them a raise to $15. At least one individual at my local McDonalds apparently can't count high enough to tell the difference.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Maybe with their advanced math skills we can just tell them we're giving them a raise to $15. At least one individual at my local McDonalds apparently can't count high enough to tell the difference.
+1

Old 05-24-2014, 05:55 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Not only will people lose jobs but the people who are currently more skilled will be getting the same pay rate as low skilled people. Employees will also compensate for being forced to pay higher wages by raising prices.

higher minimum wage = more poor people
What is your solution then and don't day get more skills and education because we already have enough people doing that.
'

Old 05-24-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
So, my children talked me into getting McDonalds for dinner tonight, which rarely happens. Let's take a look at my experience in light of the minimum wage argument.

First, the woman in the drive-thru, while obviously American born, had an incomplete grasp of the English language. Seriously, anyone who speaks Ebonics in public should be dropped on an island in the Arctic and left to fend for themselves.

Next, I ordered my wife's meal with a Coca-Cola. When they handed me the cup, the beverage in it was Sprite. I had to show them the receipt where it said Coke in order to get it fixed.

When I got home, I realized that the 6 piece happy meal only had 5 nuggets in it. Apparently basic counting skills aren't required anymore.

And these are the people who deserve $15 an hour? Quite frankly, from my experience this evening they don't even deserve a job. Maybe with their advanced math skills we can just tell them we're giving them a raise to $15. At least one individual at my local McDonalds apparently can't count high enough to tell the difference.
You could be making this story up who knows but even if you are telling the truth one example does not prove that all McDonalds workers are slow or messing things up thus do not need more money. There are also other jobs that pay min wage that are not fast food.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:01 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:

I'd have a lot more slack for them if they were kids just learning but we are talking about grown Adults here. Probably with kids at that.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
Let me clear the now-smokey air for you.

Wal Mart DOES pay a liveable wage, but only to those JOBS that deserve it. Store Management, Corporate/Regional Mgmt etc., but the jobs you see people doing are only minimum-wage JOBS. Put a Rocket Scientist in that job, and it is STILL a minimum wage job. They pay accrues to the nature of the job, not the person. Many a minimum wage floor person moved up the ladder to jobs paying great salaries.

They do not pay for the nature of the job they pay as little as possible. Wal Mart has been increasing profits every year on part because of these min wage workers but some how they can not pay their employees more for some reason.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:10 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You could be making this story up who knows but even if you are telling the truth one example does not prove that all McDonalds workers are slow or messing things up thus do not need more money. There are also other jobs that pay min wage that are not fast food.
Why would I bother? Raising the mining wage is a short term fix to a long term problem, and will result in minimum wage earners making -gasp- minimum wage. I'm against the idea on principle, because it completely ignores basic economic principle, but I'm not against it enough to lie about it. The truth is harsh enough on its own.

And, unfortunately, this example is representative of many fast food workers. Have you never had a fast food experience that left you wondering how the person behind the counter manages to tie their own shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'd have a lot more slack for them if they were kids just learning but we are talking about grown Adults here. Probably with kids at that.
Both people that I dealt with directly were in their mid twenties. Old enough to have learned decent English and basic math skills.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then write your Congressman and urge him to turn our government communist and take control of all business. Then you'll get your "living wage".
Or the other thing we can do is change our value system to when big business was owned by people of our communities and had a belief in making profit but also believed in having a responsibility to the community and their employees vs money, money, money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies