Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM

741 posts, read 764,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It is just not possible to look at someone and know their health history.
Looking at someone and determine if they're "handicapped" is realtively easy to do. Let's not fool ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The thing is ....how do you know how long he has been there???

Perhaps they are both disabled.....and he just came out first???

You just don't know.
Yes i have seen them many times at the store. I do know. Wouldn't matter anyway if they were. Only so many spaces and we need to be courteous. I look at my receipt when i get in the car. I easily can look around and see if all the spaces are full or by how many electric cart there are. I don't sit there in my car to look at the receipt. I pull out of my HC space and sit way out in the parking lot. It is called courtesy.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Looking at someone and determine if they're "handicapped" is realtively easy to do. Let's not fool ourselves.
Agreed. What I see often is the spouse of a handicapped person use the parking space even though the handicapped person isn't even with them.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I have a handicapped placard due to lung damage from chemo. If you looked at me, you'd have NO IDEA.

I have been accosted at my car several times - including in the midst of chemo. Even after 6 months of treatment, I didn't look "sick" - I gained a lot of weight (adding to the "fat lazy person stealing a handicapped spot" meme), had a buzz cut but didn't lose all my hair, was in my early 20s , and walked fairly normally - and yet I was still very, very, very sick. After my 2nd to last chemo treatment, I stopped at the grocery store knowing that I wouldn't be leaving the house for a few days because I would be far too ill. Some woman marched up to me and began yelling at me about being a "fat, lazy *****" who was using a fake handicapped placard. Even aside from the people who outright say something to me, I get dirty looks very regularly.

Even 3 years later, I still am dealing with the aftermath of serious lung damage from chemo. If the weather is cooler than 50 degrees or warmer than 80, is humid or rainy, lots of pollen in the air, or I'm just having a bad day, I have a hard time breathing and need to sit down IMMEDIATELY once that kicks in. Once in a climate regulated store, I'm normally (but not always) OK. But I also don't know when I'm going to struggle to catch my breath or feel weak/fatigued and thus not able to walk to the back of a parking lot. While not the reason for my placard but still very important, I also have serious and permanent neuropathy in my feet thanks to chemo. Sometimes, I have most of the feeling in my feet. Other days, I can't feel anything from my ankles down (typically tied to colder weather). Parking lots are not smooth surfaces - they are much harder for me to navigate and keep my balance walking on than flooring.

None of that is anyone's business who sees me parking in a handicapped parking spot. Why not just be thankful that you're healthy enough to not need one? I'd gladly trade my cancer history for a parking spot in the back of the mall.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I wouldn't oppose public lashings for violators but we never know.

A few years ago a young man parked in the handicap space at Costco. An older lady made a comment and the young man literally pulled down his pants and popped off his prosthetic leg. As he hopped away he said "I hope I qualify now". The people watching clapped.

It's annoying and rude. I suggest public lashings for customers who don't return the carts or who take two spaces. That bothers me more.
Hmmm. I wonder if Amy Purdy has a handicap placard.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have a handicapped placard due to lung damage from chemo. If you looked at me, you'd have NO IDEA.

I have been accosted at my car several times - including in the midst of chemo. Even after 6 months of treatment, I didn't look "sick" - I gained a lot of weight (adding to the "fat lazy person stealing a handicapped spot" meme), had a buzz cut but didn't lose all my hair, was in my early 20s , and walked fairly normally - and yet I was still very, very, very sick. After my 2nd to last chemo treatment, I stopped at the grocery store knowing that I wouldn't be leaving the house for a few days because I would be far too ill. Some woman marched up to me and began yelling at me about being a "fat, lazy *****" who was using a fake handicapped placard. Even aside from the people who outright say something to me, I get dirty looks very regularly.

Even 3 years later, I still am dealing with the aftermath of serious lung damage from chemo. If the weather is cooler than 50 degrees or warmer than 80, is humid or rainy, lots of pollen in the air, or I'm just having a bad day, I have a hard time breathing and need to sit down IMMEDIATELY once that kicks in. Once in a climate regulated store, I'm normally (but not always) OK. But I also don't know when I'm going to struggle to catch my breath or feel weak/fatigued and thus not able to walk to the back of a parking lot. While not the reason for my placard but still very important, I also have serious and permanent neuropathy in my feet thanks to chemo. Sometimes, I have most of the feeling in my feet. Other days, I can't feel anything from my ankles down (typically tied to colder weather). Parking lots are not smooth surfaces - they are much harder for me to navigate and keep my balance walking on than flooring.

None of that is anyone's business who sees me parking in a handicapped parking spot. Why not just be thankful that you're healthy enough to not need one? I'd gladly trade my cancer history for a parking spot in the back of the mall.
i say next time get back in their face and tell them exactly what you are going through, and that if they have an issue with that to talk to your oncologist about the whole situation. i havent had anyone get in my face about my using a handicap parking space, but if they do i will let them know just how far off base they are, especially if i am in a bad mood. and then i will give them a suggestion that is anatomically impossible for them to do.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
You should open an office.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM

741 posts, read 764,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. What I see often is the spouse of a handicapped person use the parking space even though the handicapped person isn't even with them.
In Illinois, there's a code of sorts on the face of the handicap placard that's hung from the rear view mirror. It indicates the date of birth of the bearer of the placard. While friends/family of a handicapped person can drive the car and park in the set-aside spaces ... the handicapped person, the person to whom the placard was issued must be present at the same time ... or there can be a $250 ticket. Handicapped persons, truly handicapped persons are issued license plates with the handicap symbol on it. I have no issue with those folks, who, in order to obtain such a plate have present a physician's statement. The other folks, most of them IMO ... they're deadbeats looking for privileges they're not entitled to.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:

To bad you can't "puke on demand"....on their shoes.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:

I too have been cussed out for very nearly the same way. Cussing me as they walk by and after i get out of my vehicle i yell at them and then they see that without a doubt that i am legitimate. No one has ever apologized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies