Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Armour: NFL haunted by past sins with another lawsuit

I've never been a football fan. Until the sport is made much safer, I wouldn't let any (theoretical) child of mine play.

That having been said-- Doesn't it look like the NFL is just a crime ring at this point. If this were anything BUT America's favorite sport, would we allow the amount of illegal activity, lack of safety, and profiteering in the name of making a buck?

I think leaders of the NFL should be indicted under the RICO statute at this point for the number of players' lives who've they've ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

I've never been a football fan. Until the sport is made much safer, I wouldn't let any (theoretical) child of mine play.

That having been said-- Doesn't it look like the NFL is just a crime ring at this point. If this were anything BUT America's favorite sport, would we allow the amount of illegal activity, lack of safety, and profiteering in the name of making a buck?

I think leaders of the NFL should be indicted under the RICO statute at this point for the number of players' lives who've they've ruined.
No more or less than the government is for all the same reasons you enumerated.
Think of the NFL as part of the states propaganda wing with how it is continually glorifying the military. Im sure that will help your type get more comfortable with it.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No more or less than the government is for all the same reasons you enumerated.
Think of the NFL as part of the states propaganda wing with how it is continually glorifying the military. Im sure that will help your type get more comfortable with it.
Good grief.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:

Ambulance chasers, plain and simple. They probably blew through all of their money irresponsibly and are broke and are looking for a pay day. If they were stupid enough to NOT know that taking powerful painkillers has side effects, it's on them. They CHOSE to play the game, nobody forced them. They made more money than most people will make in their life times. They need to sit down and ****.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Well, the NFL would not, I think, meet the criteria of the Federal RICO laws.

I recommend, to anyone interested, the book by Jerry Kramer, of the Green Bay Packers, called "Instant Replay", concering the 1968-69 NFL season. Mr. Kramer noted that during halftimes various players would be popping various pain pills and taking shots of novacaine to mask the pain. He even noted one player who played with a broken leg (not discovered until after the game). This practice has been around a long, long time.

However, that does not mean it is 'right'. We must wait for the suit to progress (if it does; there is no guarantee that the court will approve the request for 'class action' status). At the least, I hope the owners of the NFL wake up and recognize that such practices will, sooner or later, turn off fans (or, at least, so I hope). No doubt such practices also occur in college football.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,842 times
Quote:
Good grief.
Good grief? Your proposal is more absurd than, almost, anything I have read on this forum today.

These are adults who submit themselves to voluntary usury.

If you are so principled, why don't you start by throwing away the device you are typing on? Their, and their families, lives are ruined for fractions on pennies on the dollars these NFL players "lives are ruined" for.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Employees trusted their employer.

A recipe for disaster every single time.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
If you don't like the sport, don't play it or watch it. Grown men should be capable of making up their own mind. If I don't believe what a doctor tells me, I go and see another doctor.

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:

It's a dangerous game. Those players knew it going into it, and did so under their own free will. Not to mention the huge salaries that today's players have.

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, the NFL would not, I think, meet the criteria of the Federal RICO laws.

I recommend, to anyone interested, the book by Jerry Kramer, of the Green Bay Packers, called "Instant Replay", concering the 1968-69 NFL season. Mr. Kramer noted that during halftimes various players would be popping various pain pills and taking shots of novacaine to mask the pain. He even noted one player who played with a broken leg (not discovered until after the game). This practice has been around a long, long time.

However, that does not mean it is 'right'. We must wait for the suit to progress (if it does; there is no guarantee that the court will approve the request for 'class action' status). At the least, I hope the owners of the NFL wake up and recognize that such practices will, sooner or later, turn off fans (or, at least, so I hope). No doubt such practices also occur in college football.
Why would it turn off fans. We knew this was going on like forever. Doesn't bother me one bit, they consented to it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies