Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM

23 posts, read 13,000 times

Advertisements

As a black woman I have experienced a great deal of racism & sexism within the U.S. Often I hear the experiences of black women downplayed. Black men believe that they are the only ones who experience a great deal of racism (but fail to ackwnowledge that black women also experience similar levels), white women gripe about sexism, but don't seem to care that black women experience racism & sexism. While white men seem to believe that black women have it great, due to being a "double minority," but fail to acknowledge that black women do not have simiar levels of corporate success as white women, even when their educational attainment and experience is higher than white women.

I am curious if any group sympathizes with the plight of black women, given the double negatives that many black women indur on a regular basis?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Enterprise View Post
As a black woman I have experienced a great deal of racism & sexism within the U.S. Often I hear the experiences of black women downplayed. Black men believe that they are the only ones who experience a great deal of racism (but fail to ackwnowledge that black women also experience similar levels), white women gripe about sexism, but don't seem to care that black women experience racism & sexism. While white men seem to believe that black women have it great, due to being a "double minority," but fail to acknowledge that black women do not have simiar levels of corporate success as white women, even when their educational attainment and experience is higher than white women.

I am curious if any group sympathizes with the plight of black women, given the double negatives that many black women indur on a regular basis?
I do.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
everyone has problems they have to deal with in life, and i can sympathize with those people, but take the marine corps attitude, analyze, improvise, adapt, and overcome. and the seals will tell you the only easy day was yesterday.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
No. I have enough issues on my own and I have not had it all that easy myself.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:

Welcome to the forum with your first post.
What exactly would you like people to do about your grievances?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I gave her her very first rep for a good first post.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Welcome to the forum with your first post.
What exactly would you like people to do about your grievances?
I don't expect that anything can be done, I was just curious about the forumn's perception about the issues that black women face. I've experienced a lot of racism and sexism. I know that other people have experienced their share of probems too, but after a while, it can get you down, especially when others consistently discount your very real unfortunate experiences. Also, it can make one very jaded about life and people in general.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I gave her her very first rep for a good first post.
thank you.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
everyone has problems they have to deal with in life, and i can sympathize with those people, but take the marine corps attitude, analyze, improvise, adapt, and overcome. and the seals will tell you the only easy day was yesterday.
This is a good approach, but after awhile dealing with racism and sexism on an ongoing basis can get you down.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Why attempt to minimize this issue?
Because they're aren't that many people that don't have something to overcome in life, and people get tired of being told they have to make up for everyone else's non-utopian beginnings. Yes, some have it harder than others, but as a black woman, do you necessarily have it harder than a white male whose father was an abusive alcoholic? People have to overcome a lot of things, and we can try to treat everyone fairly, but life is too complicated to put people into little boxes with labels to act accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies