Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
People seem to forget that services are not free. Texas and other states showing positive in-migration are experiencing a boom. Are their current tax rates sustainable?

Everyone gets on California and New York but they have higher populations than most states and geographic limitations.
So far Texas is operating at a surplus. Since the state government's primary source of revenue is sales taxes and business "franchise tax" it's revenue goes up with people's spending. Property taxes are a local issue - for counties, cities, and school districts.

No doubt that Texas is feeling some strain in a few areas - perhaps traffic and roads. I wish people would quit moving here. But in general I think state and local finances will hold up well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And some people say that about Oregon........
Good, anything to keep people from moving to beautiful Oregon works for me. I always tell people it always rains there and is depressing, that is usually enough to deter some people from moving there.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
False. Every state has parks, free events, school systems, sanitation and emergency services. The services that CA provides at a higher level than many other states are welfare and pensions. Rich people are not moving to CA for state provided services. It's the lower class that benefits from CA state services.
You have never visited a liberal state and seen the wealth of public amenities we have at our disposal. My city has a free public concert series in multiple locations every week. We have dozens of miles of inner city bike trails. We have dozens of parks. We have bike lanes. We have extensive public transportation.

Quote:
Try reading my post again. I didn't say CA had less wealthy celebrities than TX or FL.

Lots of people are moving from high tax states to TN. $1.2 billion came from CA. Here is the IRS data;

IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown
Like I said, feel free to show evidence that wealthy New Yorkers are moving to Tennessee. Don't worry I'll wait. I've been to Tennessee on business... I love the barbeque but darn it I could NEVER live there.

Quote:
Exactly. Millions of us wouldn't move to NY even if you put a gun to our head.

I don't necessarily like TN, but I would choose it over NY in a heartbeat.
Good for you. We've been doing quite fine without you.

Quote:
Yes, but the wealthy keep their seasonal house in Dog Crap CA or Cow Plop NY and move their residence to another state. It happens quite often.
No, they keep their primary house in Dog Crap CA and Cow Plop NY and buy a vacation home in another state. Their primary house stays so they can send their children to better schools.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is the ultimate double-edge sword for mainstream cons: Texas has its great tax structure, fantastic land/home ownership opportunities, and a fiendly white-collar business environment.

Unfortunately for the mainstream cons this environment attracts single, young, college-educated, diversity-friendly, mainstream liberal leaning, religiously apathetic folks who want bike trails, parks, culture (not two drunks running naked thru a cow pasture draped in Confederate flags), and public infrastructure.

All those wonderful Obama voters educated in the northeast and Pacific coast coming right at ya Texas.
They just can't comprehend this

Great taxes are unsustainable. When people move, they will want the services.

I like Texas to visit, but it is too corporate. Too many chain restaurants. Too much humidity. Flat boring geography. Not enough parks. I like waterfronts.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:

I like Texas to visit, but it is too corporate. Too many chain restaurants. Too much humidity. Flat boring geography. Not enough parks. I like waterfronts.
Texas is a big state. Central Texas is not remotely flat. New York is flat by comparison.

Humidity? Sure. Interestingly enough Texas is no more humid than New York.

Parks? I can't speak for every city. But there are many parks in the Austin area, including fantastic lakes. I live on one.

Great taxes are unsustainable? As long as newcomers pay their way - taxes shouldn't be materially impacted. Unless newcomers elect legislators that spend too much money their impact on state spending is limited.

I think instead it is more likely that high taxes are unsustainable. The core issue is high levels of government spending. THAT is unsustainable.

Last edited by hoffdano; 05-28-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
You have never visited a liberal state and seen the wealth of public amenities we have at our disposal. My city has a free public concert series in multiple locations every week. We have dozens of miles of inner city bike trails. We have dozens of parks. We have bike lanes. We have extensive public transportation.

Like I said, feel free to show evidence that wealthy New Yorkers are moving to Tennessee. Don't worry I'll wait. I've been to Tennessee on business... I love the barbeque but darn it I could NEVER live there.

No, they keep their primary house in Dog Crap CA and Cow Plop NY and buy a vacation home in another state. Their primary house stays so they can send their children to better schools.
The arrogance of some people from the Northeast never ceases to amaze me.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
The arrogance of some people from the Northeast never ceases to amaze me.
How is it any different than people from Texas who think everywhere else is inferior to Texas? Nothing wrong with having state or region pride.

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

Maybe not everyone wants lots of "public amenities".
Those that do..fine, go for it.

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:

It's amazing ain't it?

So in 30 years when Texas is the "new California" with high taxes/infrastructure problems then what will you have?

Nothing! Cuz you don't have weather, topography, or a decent ocean!

We really should round up all the native Texans (and long tenured) on the board to monitor them. They are nearly universally mainstream con just like the original Californians.

Will they sit behind their computers and p^ss and moan for the next 25 years longing for "the old days" instead of adapting or leaving like the dinosaurs over on the Cal forum?

Stay tuned C-D...

Old 05-28-2014, 09:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How is it any different than people from Texas who think everywhere else is inferior to Texas? Nothing wrong with having state or region pride.
Why can't you pick another state once in a while to bash ?

There's a lot of states in that map in post #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies