Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 05:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why are you assuming that in order to keep kids safe from sexual predators in one way, we have to abandon another?
You think that the boy's father is a sexual predator?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:19 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Baloney. We have the same busing policy in our district. Here is how we handle it: parents walk young children to school (or the kids walk in groups) and every elementary school offers a before- & after-school care program for working parents. Additionally, some working parents make arrangements with neighbors or private childcare providers to supervise their young children. Kindergarteners do not, as a rule, walk completely on their own. There is simply too much traffic around the school for that to be a safe option.
Look at the satellite photo of the area in question:

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2062...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

No problem with too much traffic. It actually looks like a very pleasant place to walk a mile.

I have a hard time believing an 8-year-old never rode his bike, walked, or played one mile or more from home in that area.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. The kid got picked up by his NEIGHBOR.
Which is frequently the case with actual abductions. This was a case of absolute luck.

Do you know how much time it takes to pull a car over and snatch up a child? Nearly zero. It will happen faster than any onlookers can react. For that matter, someone can even pull up to an adult bike rider and snatch them of their bicycles into a car in a second--that's one of the things we were warned about when I was overseas in the 80s, because it was happening rather frequently.

An eight-year-old who had been driven to school all his life is not going to know how to get home. He's never paid attention to the route as a walking route (if he's paid attention at all). He may have noted certain landmarks, but while riding those came in quick succession--a McDonalds followed within thirty seconds by a Burger King. Walking, that McDonalds will be half an hour from the Burger King, presuming he doesn't become disoriented from not seeing it more quickly and taking the wrong route.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-01-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 05:24 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You think that the boy's father is a sexual predator?
What on earth...

Anyway!

Old 06-01-2014, 05:24 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Look at the satellite photo of the area in question:

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2062...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

No problem with too much traffic. It actually looks like a very pleasant place to walk a mile.

I have a hard time believing an 8-year-old never rode his bike, walked, or played one mile or more from home in that area.
I hate to break it to you, but accidents occur whether there are hundreds of cars or just one. The child should not have been abandoned, anywhere, whether it be on a highway or at a local playground. (For the right-wingers: PERIOD! There we go. Now you understand!)

Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I hate to break it to you, but accidents occur whether there are hundreds of cars or just one. The child should not have been abandoned, anywhere, whether it be on a highway or at a local playground. (For the right-wingers: PERIOD! There we go. Now you understand!)
I hate to break it to you, but some kids are molested by their own parents. Therefore, no child should ever be left unsupervised with their own parents.

That's how ridiculous many of you are being.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
In general, no, that does not like a reasonable area to kick a second-grader out of a vehicle to make his way home alone, especially one who is distraught. Sorry, but I do not agree with you. Absolutely not.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
At the time, and most recently... Blue state Illinois, including Chicago and all its suburbs. Here's Illinois state law regarding such. The state only reimburses for bus service for students who live 1.5+ miles from school. Any closer, and the cost is borne by the individual school and/or the parents:

"School District Transportation (Regular/Vocational/Special Education) provides reimbursement to local education agencies that transport students who reside 1.5 miles or more from their attendance center, attend a vocational program and are transported by their resident district during the school day or transport students with disabilities who have special transportation needs."

Funding and Disbursements - Transportation Programs of the Illinois State Board of Education
So what? That's not the issue! The kid wasn't walking home from school, he was being driven home from school-based day care and kicked out of the car.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In general, no, that does not like a reasonable area to kick a second-grader out of a vehicle to make his way home alone, especially one who is distraught. Sorry, but I do not agree with you. Absolutely not.
When did he become distraught, and why? You don't know, do you?

He could have been distraught because he knew he was in trouble for misbehaving and therefore being disciplined at the after school program, and refusing to tell his father what he had done. It could have had absolutely ZERO to do with the fact that he was supposed to walk that last mile home.

The wimpiness in this thread is unbelievable. No wonder we get national ads like pajamaboy.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but some kids are molested by their own parents. Therefore, no child should ever be left unsupervised with their own parents.

That's how ridiculous many of you are being.
You're funny.

We all die, so doctors are unnecessary. That's how ridiculous your comment is.

I won't bother pointing out the faulty logic in your post. I'd be wasting my time. As a suggestion, you should stop seeing this incident as a liberal vs conservative issue, and see it for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies