Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well, technically the Tea Party wants to monitor your bedroom to make sure you're not having sex the "wrong way," but you can have as many guns as you want and nobody should know about them... yeah, crazy...

As for the OP, the government really shouldn't be meddling in something like that, and a year of probation is absurd. I could see somebody asking the father, "What the heck were you thinking?" but that's about it.

Keep in mind we don't know all the details: did the parents have a history of treating the child poorly? Did the child have to walk a mile through potentially dangerous areas with: crime, high traffic, etc?

Long story short, the government should have stayed out of that, but it is also half-arse parenting that utterly fails to accomplish anything.
Oh for heavens sake, this is a totally different story and you obviously know nothing about the Tea party or you wouldn't make such a statement.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
I heard Hawaii is even more liberal than California, I can't even imagine how!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your source is using lies and manipulation.

The 8 year old child was dropped off on the side of a busy highway with cars travelling 50 mph, not a deserted country road like your source shows a child walking down.

Who would leave their 8 year old child on side of a busy highway with cars traveling 50 mph?

Father Fined $200, Sentenced to One Year of Probation for Making His 8-Year-Old Son Walk a Mile Home From School | Video | TheBlaze.com

And those were conservatives who handed out that punishment. A liberal would have thrown that man in jail and made sure he got his a-- beat. (8 year old children can not be trusted to walk alone next to cars travelling at 50 mph. But the judge was worried about a kidnapper, rapist, or serial killer grabbing the child.)
and you believe everything you see and read in the Blaze? get a life, expand your resources and you do not have a clue who handed out the sentence: BTW, it wasn't "those" as you put it, it was a judge...

I was anything but a bad mother, but one time, after our daughter had dilly dallied around several days in a row, missing the school bus, I told her, one more time and she could just walk to school. Well about a week later, I being a Brownie leader had the meeting at my house: to my surprise 3 of her Brownie friends informed me, she and her little brother 8 and 7 had walked to school that morning. It was about a 2 mile walk, and on very busy streets. (that was in the days of forced bussing, so we lived a good distance from their school, which wasn't our neighborhood school. They did walk with 2 other kids. It happened the school bus was late that day, they assumed they had missed it and she took me literally. Did I feel bad that I had told her that? yes, a little, but guess what, she never missed the bus or even came close again.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:40 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
I find this story to be unreliable, there's simply too many variables and not enough information to really comment about this. Is the road dangerous for kids to walk down? Some roads in Hawaii are prone to mudslides and flash floods on the rainy windward sides of the islands, I can certainly see why a child would not be allowed to leave in this case.

Not enough info, like I said.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:46 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A man in Hawaii has been sentenced to one year probation and now has a criminal record because his son walked one mile from school to his home.
Hell, in Illinois, schools don't even have to provide school bus service for anyone who lives closer than 1.5 miles to school.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier was responding to a poster who falsely claimed that the boy was crying when the father drove off.

The article does not state that, which means that the poster in question was writing fiction.
So what? Leaving a kid to walk home on his own when he is clearly not ready (hence the reason he sat down and cried instead) is practically the same thing. That the father didn't stop to see this makes no difference at all.

I understand, we all like to say "Well when I was a kid, we walked to and from school, uphill both ways, blah blah blah". But parenting isn't necessarily about doing what your parents did with their children; it's about knowing what's best for your kid. And this proved to not be in the best interests of this particular child. Blame it on the youth being lazy, too soft, etc. anything you want. Doesn't change the fact that this particular kid was put in danger, as he was evidently not prepared to walk home alone. It's just that simple.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So what? Leaving a kid to walk home on his own when he is clearly not ready (hence the reason he sat down and cried instead) is practically the same thing. That the father didn't stop to see this makes no difference at all.

I understand, we all like to say "Well when I was a kid, we walked to and from school, uphill both ways, blah blah blah". But parenting isn't necessarily about doing what your parents did with their children; it's about knowing what's best for your kid. And this proved to not be in the best interests of this particular child. Blame it on the youth being lazy, too soft, etc. anything you want. Doesn't change the fact that this particular kid was put in danger, as he was evidently not prepared to walk home alone. It's just that simple.
Put in danger? Or having a woe-is-me tantrum because he didn't get his way? How many times have you seen crying children in the grocery store? Were they all crying because they were in danger? You can't assume a child is in danger just because they're crying.

And, yeah, I'm posting as a former Illinois resident. Illinois regularly forces kids to walk more than a mile to and from school, even crossing 50 mph 4 lane highways (at a stoplight, of course). Those kids aren't deemed to be "in danger."

Old 05-31-2014, 02:07 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

The kid could have been a budding actor and put on a scene to get attention and "stick it to Dad".

Liberals have made it so that schools indoctrinate children to report their parents if they so much as lift a finger to discipline them.

Harrier doesn't blame the kid - he blames liberals.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
"...the stretch of the two-lane roadway -- Kuhio Highway -- is in a safe, rural area with acre-size agricultural lots, and a wide shoulder, 10 to 25 feet wide, where it's not uncommon to see people walking or riding their bikes.
Kauai man gets probation for making son, 8, walk 1 mile home - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 05-31-2014, 02:17 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Wow!

In that case, the heavily trafficked, urban highways that Harrier walked and rode his bike on at that age should cause his parents to be in prison for the rest of their life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies