Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM

29,497 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Do the mothers coalition support the use of OCD and ADHD med's on their kids? Most likely yes, and already have. Heck, it's
easy to dope up a kid than take the time to be a mother...I've said it before and say it again, it's not the guns.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I rest my case. Meaningful? I'm sorry, I live in California where the liberals have gone absolutely unconstitutional in banning and outlawing guns and ammo across the board.

THERE IS NO MEANINGFUL DISCUSSION ON GUN OWNERSHIP WITH PROGRESSIVE LIBERALS
Absolutely correct!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Good. The NRA lobby is way too powerful. It's way past time time they were seriously challenged. It's time for some balance in way firearms are regulated.
Actually if you do some research you will find that the NRA is way down on the list of the most powerful Lobby groups.

I don't see the NRA on here for 2013 according to Opensecrets.org

US Chamber of Commerce$74,470,000National Assn of Realtors $38,584,580Blue Cross/Blue Shield$22,618,980Northrop Grumman$20,590,000National Cable & Telecommunications Assn$19,870,000American Hospital Assn $19,173,813Comcast Corp$18,810,000American Medical Assn $18,250,000Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America$17,882,500General Electric$16,130,000AT&T Inc$15,935,000Google Inc $15,800,000Boeing Co$15,230,000National Assn of Broadcasters$14,450,000Lockheed Martin$14,436,226Grocery Manufacturers Assn$14,300,000United Technologies$13,900,373Verizon Communications$13,703,000Exxon Mobil$13,420,000CVS/Caremark Corp$13,128,502

Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
The NRA has changed over the years. They used to focus more on gun safety and responsible firearm choice and use. Nowadays, it seems to be all about everyone's "right" to get the biggest arsenal they can with no regulation at all. It seems that the NRA, like so many groups, has been taken over by politicians seeking to appeal to a certain group of voters and big business who wants to sell more guns. I sometimes wonder how many "they are going to take all your guns!" scares are just created to drive sales of guns and ammo... you have to admit that it works well...

Hey, I support the 2nd Amendment, and I'm strongly opposed to state or federal laws that effectively prohibit firearm usage or ownership, but let's not kid ourselves - the 2nd Amendment also says, "well regulated," which does not mean, "show up to a gun-show with a suitcase full of cash and walk out with an arsenal, no questions asked." It also means we shouldn't be handing out guns willy-nilly to people who are mentally ill, blind, etc.

A gun is like a car. It has valid, legal uses, but it can also be deadly if used wrong. I don't think anyone in this nation would really support people driving cars around without any ID, license, insurance, etc. So why do some people feel that guns should somehow be exempt from any background checks or regulation? The Constitution doesn't grant that right - remember, "well regulated"- and common sense dictates that it's a bad idea.

That being said, it shouldn't be any harder for a citizen to get a decent hunting or self-defense weapon and have the right to use it than it would be for the average citizen to get and use a typical car. Unfortunately, this whole issue has become insanely divisive, with some areas believing in a unregulated "militia," and others basically forbidding people from defending themselves. It's disgusting on all levels.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. Let's hear it for the Moms!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I said it was coming and so did others. I said there are more mothers than there are gun owners. Get them really mad and the party begins.

The NRA Meets Its Potent New Foe: Moms | Mother Jones

The NRA Meets Its Potent New Foe: Moms

For years, advocates of stricter gun laws have rallied at the barricades of the National Rifle Association's annual meeting. But this year, as the gun lobby convenes in Indianapolis, there's a new posse in town. They're mothers, they're survivors of gun violence, and some of them are both. And they're dead set on disarming the NRA of its outsize political power.

They operate as Everytown for Gun Safety, a new organization combining the grassroots group Moms Demand Action, launched after the Sandy Hook massacre, and Michael Bloomberg's Mayors Against Illegal Guns. At a press conference in a packed downtown hotel conference room on Friday, the group unveiled a forceful new report and political ad.

"We are in Indianapolis to send the NRA leadership a message," said Shannon Watts, the 43-year-old mother of five who founded Moms Demand Action. Americans can no longer abide by "a Washington lobby run by extremists," she said.

Then the report presents a stockpile of evidence showing how the NRA's leadership "puts Americans at risk" by fighting for the interests of gun manufacturing companies under the guise of defending citizens' constitutional freedoms. The Everytown report documents how the NRA has made it easier for felons to get guns, has fought local gun laws, and even backed an Indiana measure that would have expanded Stand Your Ground to include using lethal force against uniformed police officers. Everytown also calls out the NRA for blocking doctors from discussing safe gun ownership with their patients, as well as trying to keep military commanders from asking soldiers at risk of suicide about their personal firearms.
What non sense. There is not a problem. The only problem is these points are made up. I have not heard of Police officers having problems with legal gun owners.

The issue is when you speaking towards Soldiers is a Physiological issue not a gun issue. Those soldiers have help options.

The Problem is black market which has always been the case. Gun shops follow legal procedures to the letter.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The NRA has changed over the years. They used to focus more on gun safety and responsible firearm choice and use. Nowadays, it seems to be all about everyone's "right" to get the biggest arsenal they can with no regulation at all. It seems that the NRA, like so many groups, has been taken over by politicians seeking to appeal to a certain group of voters and big business who wants to sell more guns. I sometimes wonder how many "they are going to take all your guns!" scares are just created to drive sales of guns and ammo... you have to admit that it works well...

Hey, I support the 2nd Amendment, and I'm strongly opposed to state or federal laws that effectively prohibit firearm usage or ownership, but let's not kid ourselves - the 2nd Amendment also says, "well regulated," which does not mean, "show up to a gun-show with a suitcase full of cash and walk out with an arsenal, no questions asked.

A gun is like a car. It has a use, but it can also be deadly if used wrong. I don't think anyone in this nation would really support people driving cars around without any ID, license, insurance, etc. So why do some people feel that guns should somehow be except from any background checks or regulation? The Constitution doesn't grant that right - remember, "well regulated"- and common sense dictates that it's a bad idea.

That being said, it shouldn't be any harder for a citizen to get a decent hunting or self-defense weapon and have the right to use it than it would be for the average citizen to get and use a typical car. Unfortunately, this whole issue has become insanely divisive, with some areas believing in a unregulated "militia," and others basically forbidding people from defending themselves. It's disgusting on all levels.
Why can't I collect guns? I collect guns like Jay Leno collects cars.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
As I recall, the Eighteenth Ammendment was brought into being by another group of well intentioned women. Please spare us your well meaning intentions and quit trying to micro manage the Constitution.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Good. The NRA lobby is way too powerful. It's way past time time they were seriously challenged. It's time for some balance in way firearms are regulated.
Give me a break. There are many more powerful lobby's in DC. Let's see, maybe oil, high tech, farming..etc..

I agree that anyone who is mentally unstable should not have access to firearms and a simple back check
would weed em out. But it's more than that what's happening in our society today, with the school shootings
and such.

Our society has changed with social networking like this and our value structure has also changed. Everything is okay today..never mind the drugs used on kids at a very young age.

We are seeing the results of all that now and it's only gonna get worse.

I've been shooting since a very young age but never felt the need or desire to hurt a human being.

That's the difference in our society today, kids feeling the need or respect by shooting up a school.

Something has gone wrong yet it's not the guns..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It always amazes me that so many people can't see the NRA for what it really is: An organization made up of several million members! I bet many of these women have friends or relatives that are members!
They are protesting against their families and neighbors!
But, all they can see is the dreaded NRA!!
So? Family members and neighbors can disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Again, we are confusing the change of drunk driving laws, with a change in the Constitution - which is their ultimate goal.

They are trying to chisel away at all gun ownership. If they are a success at making it so we can only own small caliber revolvers and breech load rifles, the next logical step will be to remove all gun ownership. It's called small leaps until the ultimate goal is reached.

The current movement to give up personal rights is a cancer on society, which has been metastasizing for several decades now.

Holy Cow

There... more irrational statements. Like I said, there is no rational discussion.
I see nothing in their platform about changing the constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies