Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Washington

Whidby Island Third Street Cottages
Those are cute....no doubt.

I just do not see them as much more than stated......cottages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
For the average american, 1/3 to 1/2 of their take home income is dedicated to housing, primarily a 15/30 year mortgage. This is obviously a huge constraint to people financially, and many live paycheck to paycheck with no retirement savings at all.

In the past few years there has been a "tiny house movement", small homes, no bigger than 500 sqft, usually with just 1 or 2 sleeping areas, a kitchen, bathroom.
What Is The Tiny House Movement? « The Tiny Life

Some of them are small enough to even be towed by truck. I've seen Tiny home communities popping up in many places around California, and the initial cost is usually around $10,000 (if you build it yourself) to $50,000 if you pay someone to build one of the larger models. You usually also pay a modest HOA fee. That's still 3 times lower than the average price of a home in the U.S.

Could this movement solve the housing crisis in some of the more popular metro areas, or is this just a dumb fad? Pros and cons? Would you consider living in a tiny house?
76% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.
The perception in America is "bigger is better".

Smart folks know and have been downsizing.
The movement consists mostly of people that are looking into the future and don't follow the herd mentality.
The others will go kicking and screaming as costs skyrocket (taxes, energy mostly).

Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The movement consists mostly of people that are looking into the future and don't follow the herd mentality.
The others will go kicking and screaming as costs skyrocket (taxes, energy mostly).
Just so you do not get to small for zoning.

I think a few of those would code in our township.....if the other codes were met.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Those are cute....no doubt.

I just do not see them as much more than stated......cottages.
Ross Chapin & Associates is one of my favorite architecture firms. The Third Street Cottages first piqued my interest in pocket neighborhoods. I think the designs are exquisite, and they appeal very much to my personal aesthetic. Let me be clear, though, that these tiny homes are very expensive and not the solution to the affordable housing issue that concerns the OP.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM

864 posts, read 799,688 times
Quote:
Ross Chapin & Associates is one of my favorite architecture firms. The Third Street Cottages first piqued my interest in pocket neighborhoods. I think the designs are exquisite, and they appeal very much to my personal aesthetic. Let me be clear, though, that these tiny homes are very expensive and not the solution to the affordable housing issue that concerns the OP.
For those interested here is a link to Ross Chapin Tiny Home designs:
Cottage Home Plans, Small House Plans, Cabin Plans, Small Homes by Ross Chapin Architects

The plans are actually fairly cheap, $1000 to $1200.

My favorite is their Gilann design.
http://www.rosschapin.com/Plans/Cott...nn/Gilann.html

Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
How big are these houses? They appear small but not tiny. I don't consider an 800 to a 1,000 square foot home a tiny home and these look to be about that size.
Yep; I the past appox 11-1200 sq ft was pretty standard and they even had more kids then.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Yes, Finn, the plans are cheap, but the finishes are not. These are very high quality cottages, and what makes them work is the pocket neighborhood concept. Most of these cottages are similarly-priced to a SFH suburban home, i.e, very expensive and completely out-of-reach for the low-income.

That said, they are gorgeous, and I absolutely love them.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Smart is meaningless if you lack the money.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 AM

864 posts, read 799,688 times
Quote:
Yes, Finn, the plans are cheap, but the finishes are not. These are very high quality cottages, and what makes them work is the pocket neighborhood concept. Most of these cottages are similarly-priced to a SFH suburban home, i.e, very expensive and completely out-of-reach for the low-income.

That said, they are gorgeous, and I absolutely love them.
But it you cheaped out on the finishes a bit, these could be affordable, correct? I haven't bought their plans so I don't know what materials they state or require for their building plan.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Smart is meaningless if you lack the money.
If you lack money then there is nothing you can do but survive however.

People with no money are not buying/building tiny homes.
This thread is about those that are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies