Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 04:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times

Advertisements

Folks who are identified as sexual predators are listed on the internet, and sources are available which inform you of the number and location of identified predators in any specific town.

Convicted rapist Mike Dodele had been released from jail for 35 days when found stabbed to death, apparently by a parent who was concerned Mr Dodele was a threat to his child. Ironically, Mr Dodele was actually convicted of improper behavior with adult women.

Should this information be made as public as it is today?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=1&cset=true

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-14-2007 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Sorry to sound like a "hard ***", but I'll have to opt on the "tough" side. I was amazed to find several "ex" child molesters right near here.....and we don't live in a "bad" area at all. Given the nature of the crime, the naivete, trust, and innocence of the victims, and the fact that the Psychological community seems to agree that the condition is just about "incurable", I'd err on the side of parents having the right to know who's living down the block. Problematic as this may be from an ethical viewpoint, I find it preferrable to just "They're your kids-- keep them indoors if you don't feel safe". Sorry, but the kids' rights to a normal childhood trump the rights of the 'disturbed' adult to his privacy.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:36 PM

How would behavior change if this information wasn't known, what additional risk would parents take?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Slightly off topic - A male, convicted of raping a 8 year old girl 15 years ago, was released from prision on Wednesday of this week (Phoenix).

He grabbed a 4 year old girl off of a Jungle Jim yesterday and tried to rape her. He was subdued and held for police - he is lucky to be alive -

Out of jail for 1 day -

My solution is, when he is returned to jail, put him in the general population.

He will not walk out of prision again

Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
How would behavior change if this information wasn't known, what additional risk would parents take?
Not sure I understand your question--but I'd imagine parents would tell kiddies they may NOT go into "Fred's" house, or look at his puppy, or go for a walk with him. I this what you're referring to?
BTW, on our local website, I actually RECOGNIZED one of the guys, though I don't live particularly near him.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:34 PM

That answers the question, I wanted to understand the extra precautions.

Would you agree that the dad committing this murder should be charged with premeditated murder, or would you think that the placement of Mr Dodele in this area lessens the charge, perhaps to manslaughter?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That answers the question, I wanted to understand the extra precautions.

Would you agree that the dad committing this murder should be charged with premeditated murder, or would you think that the placement of Mr Dodele in this area lessens the charge, perhaps to manslaughter?
Couldn't get the site to "open", but sounds like a tragedy to me. Don't know if I'd call it premeditated murder, but a prosecutor might.

Reminds me of a bizarre case we had in Calif. some years ago. An old merchant seaman (I THINK his name was "Singleterry" or similar) had picked up a young girl hitchiking--had brutally raped he, and HACKED OFF BOTH HER ARMS, and left her for dead on a desert roadside.
Through some "fluke" in the law, the state "had" to release him after serving only 8 years. The event caused a "media circus" and the man was basically transferred all over the state for many months, under constant police protective supervision, as neighborhood after neighborhood swore to "kill" him if he lived THERE. Eventually he was moved into a vacant employee house within the grounds of San Quentin Prison---technically "free" but beyond the reach of the enraged public (His victim continued to live, minus her arms).
Seems like the man was finally taken in by a niece in Texas or somewhere, and eventually died. Literally a "loathsome" character who the authorities couldn't "place", for fear for his safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies