Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Iraq ISIS Islamist insurgents 'steadily tighten their grip'

Over the past six months, ISIS fighters have taken control of much of northern Iraq and have been on the front lines of fighting against Syrian government and in other places too, like Jordan. Their goal is to unify Sunni controlled areas of the middle east and northern Africa into a modern day caliphate.

The US, meanwhile, has ruled out immediate military intervention. Unfortunately, it appears Iraqi forces are deserting their posts and some of the military hardware provided by the USA is falling into the hands of ISIS.

What should the response be?

My own belief is that if we let this go and Iraq does fall or split into civil war, then the issue will only get worse until one day ISIS decides some idiotic reason to hit the US with terrorism, and we'll be forced to act. Better to nip this now and get it over with.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:05 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Didn't we already provide weapons for people wanting to fight against the Syrian government? I can't see that there would be any U.S. response on this.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
Nip this now? That's almost laughable given the length of the Iraq War. I still remember that dope standing there saying mission accomplished, and that was only the very beginning. They will be warring forever, we stick our nose back in there again and expect another multi-year conflict and many lives lost. And it's more likely they would try to strike back at us over here for getting involved. The American people put up with the war for many years, but I doubt you could get people to see the necessity of going back again. I don't think people would buy the WMD line again. How much did we spend on Iraq, it was something like 680 billion. What politician is going to put his weight behind a nip it action after the long and costly war? Certainly no one thinking of the 2016 Presidency or those facing reelections would be so stupid to suggest such a move.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
I'd say at this point its Iraqs fight, at the expense of 4000 American soldiers lives we gave them the tools and resources they needed to be in control of their own destiny, obviously they arent up to the task of defending their own country, let the cards fall where they may as i dont see any good coming from a return to Iraq by American armed forces in an effort to deal with their internal struggles.
Syria is also none of our business,if they want to engage in a civil war thats their business. If on the other hand they or Iraq want a straight up war with the USA we can give it to them in spades.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 AM

26 posts, read 47,849 times
Good front page article in the WSJ this morning.

I didn't vote for Mr Obama, but now the fools are trying to intimate that "it's all his fault" too...which is laughable.

The Iraqi soldiers are abandoning their own defensive posts and running the hell out.

Screw all of them, let them fight it out, we'll sort out the pieces later. Would you send your son or daughter to fight in this disaster ? Hell, I've done my time, and let these people fight their own internal battles. I wouldn't send my son or daughter to fight for Israel either, no Israeli has died for the USA that I'm aware of...not in Vietnam, not in Korea, not in the Balkans, not in Iraq. not in Afghanistan. If anyone poses a direct threat to the safety and security of the USA, I'll be the first one to pick up my guns.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,153 times
As bad as Saddam Hussain was, he was the only who could pull the country together and held off Syrian and Iran influence by sheer force. Now that the US took him out, his seasoned army disbanded and banned from joining the current military, Iraq has nobody left to stand up for her. These disbanded soldiers and military strategists who were stripped of their ranks when US invaded, had nowhere else to go so they joined ISIS. It's the reason why ISIS is able to gain so much in short amount of time. It's also their ultimate revenge, to take back the country they've served for so long.

I hope the US stay out of this. Let the chips fall where they may. We've done enough damage as it is.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Anyone blaming the Obama Administration for this disaster is just playing politics. The debacle that was to become the Iraqi War and this outcome was all inevitable from the date this omnishambles was conceived. Only a fool would send more troops into Iraq to die. We will be dealing with the consequences of this war for generations to come.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 06-12-2014 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
What a colossal waste of 680 billion dollars, not to mention all the lives lost or impacted by this war. Looks like it was all for nothing. No WAY would I want to see our country get involved in this mess again, but it looks like that's coming.

US vows to back Iraq in fight against jihadist threat

Old 06-12-2014, 05:55 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Many of the ISIS forces are made up of the military, police and security forces from Saddam, which Bremer threw out. I think the US needs to butt out of the middle east and tend to matters at home. The US believes all countries should be a democracy yet many countries live by their religion.

Our Congress can't find solutions within itself, nor the government, yet we think we can solve other countries problems? We've lost enough lives in the middle east. Let's take care of our own and defend ourselves.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 AM

26 posts, read 47,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Many of the ISIS forces are made up of the military, police and security forces from Saddam, which Bremer threw out. I think the US needs to butt out of the middle east and tend to matters at home. The US believes all countries should be a democracy yet many countries live by their religion.

Our Congress can't find solutions within itself, nor the government, yet we think we can solve other countries problems? We've lost enough lives in the middle east. Let's take care of our own and defend ourselves.
I firmly agree..however it's a very entangled montage of sectarian violence, which is more reason not to get involved - EVER. But you see, at this moment, we, the USA are getting goaded and sucked into attacking Iran in order to do Israel's dirty work in the region, because THEY feel threatened. If Israel or any other nations in the mideast want to go after each other, have at it. If they want however to mess with the USA or our immediate safety and economic interests, then we have to fight, and fight to win - no more of this air gunship assault campaign, and occupation ! you light them up from 55,000 feet and go back to base...and I do mean "light them up". Kill them one time with total disregard for collateral damage...and before you do it, you tell them exactly how they are going to die...it's surrender, without condition or become radioactive for 75 years. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies