Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since the trial of George Zimmerman concluded with a NOT GUILTY verdict and cementing his continued innocence. I followed the case closely and based on the facts and evidence alone, I concluded that Zimmerman was innocent.

State of Florida v. George Zimmerman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
State of Florida v. George Zimmerman was a criminal prosecution of George Zimmerman on the charge of second-degree murder stemming from the shooting of Trayvon Martin on February 26, 2012.[Note 1]

On April 11, 2012, George Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. In support of the charges, the State filed an affidavit of probable cause, stating that Zimmerman profiled and confronted Martin and shot him to death while Martin was committing no crimes.[1] Florida State Attorney Angela Corey announced the charges against Zimmerman during a televised press conference and reported that Zimmerman was in custody after turning himself in to law enforcement.[2][3] Zimmerman said he shot Martin in self-defense.[4]

After sixteen hours of deliberations over the course of two days, on July 13, 2013, the six-person jury rendered a not guilty verdict on all counts.[5][6]

Now that a year has gone by it's also quite interesting to read where many of the key figures in this trial are today.

George Zimmerman trial anniversary: Where are they now? - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
Former Sanford police Chief Bill Lee

Lee, 54, of Geneva is now working as a special agent for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in Orlando, earning $45,800 a year. He went without work as a law-enforcement officer for a year and a half, his career damaged by criticism over the way the Sanford Police Department handled the investigation into Trayvon's shooting.
Quote:
Circuit Judge Debra S. Nelson

After the five-week trial and verdict, Nelson, 60, took two days off and then went back to work, hearing civil and divorce cases in Sanford.

She has not commented publicly about the Zimmerman trial and is overseeing his defamation case against NBCUniversal Media LLC. Zimmerman sued the company 10 months after the shooting, accusing it of falsely reporting that he used a racial slur while talking to a police dispatcher the night of the shooting.

Nelson will preside over a hearing next week on NBC's request to dismiss the suit.
Quote:
Defense attorney Mark O'Mara

The trial made O'Mara, 58, of Orlando a familiar name. He sold a boat and a car and got a business loan during the trial to cover expenses, he said Thursday, and is not yet financially whole. But the trial allowed him to expand his practice and won him a contract providing legal commentary on CNN.
I'm somewhat surprised that Zimmerman has been able to stay out of the media for the last few months given how they've followed him and harassed him since he was proven innocent.

Last edited by TheMoreYouKnow; 06-12-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since the trial of George Zimmerman concluded with a NOT GUILTY verdict and cementing his continued innocence.

State of Florida v. George Zimmerman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now that a year has gone by it's also quite interesting to read where many of the key figures in this trial are today.

George Zimmerman trial anniversary: Where are they now? - chicagotribune.com

I'm somewhat surprised that Zimmerman has been able to stay out of the media for the last few months given how they've followed him and harassed him since he was proven innocent.
No, it is not, why? Because they did not have a case...

Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No, it is not, why? Because they did not have a case...
It's only hard for me to believe it's been a year already, it's quite easy to see that this was a clear case of self defense in every aspect of the situation.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i take from your first sentence OP that you feel George is guilty.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i take from your first sentence OP that you feel George is guilty.
Not even close, I just find it hard to believe that a year has gone by already since we all sat around that night waiting for the jury to come back with their verdict.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Well, this is how I look at it. When he was declared not guilty, for me, I did not want to hear a word about this from anyone. When it comes to stuff like this, trust levels are very low. I began to consider someone could fear me for no reason other than being Black, and then shoot me. Now, with the Zimmerman case, there was a fight that took place. On the other hand, I had to wonder if there might be someone who might feel like "maybe I should be able to shoot first and ask questions later".

Now, the whole situation, this is how I sum it up. Martin could have just gone home instead of fighting. Zimmerman could have just stayed in his car as the police instructed him to do.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Not even close, I just find it hard to believe that a year has gone by already since we all sat around that night waiting for the jury to come back with their verdict.
Quote:
It's only hard for me to believe it's been a year already, it's quite easy to see that this was a clear case of self defense in every aspect of the situation.
I remember when I heard that verdict...I was loading mags in my vest and waited for the defecation hits the oscillation.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
Zimmerman was found NOT guilty.

He was not declared innocent.

I believe it was the right verdict. There wasn't enough evidence to find him guilty. But he is far from "innocence". If he had money u betcha there would be a real civil lawsuit. (Since he didn't use the stand my ground defense). So he doesn't get real immunity from civil lawsuit.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:19 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Totally guilty of the death of another human being.

Should have taken his ass whooping and went back to his truck. Instead he shot a teenager. Shouldn't have wasted a kids life.

I know many people of all races who were outraged and disappointed with the verdict.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:25 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Totally guilty of the death of another human being.

Should have taken his ass whooping and went back to his truck. Instead he shot a teenager. Shouldn't have wasted a kids life.

I know many people of all races who were outraged and disappointed with the verdict.

How many times should he have allowed his head to be smashed on the sidewalk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies