Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
He would have been a great president.
OMG! LOL! BWAHAHAHA! ROFL! LMAO!

I'm sorry. Could you say that again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:28 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
You can't fix the way folks are BORN

Get over it, accept it and move forward

This is a good point, but we aren't talking about being born female, Asian, disabled or left-handed.

We are talking about thoughts and behaviors that come into play some time after birth.

The analogy to alcoholism is valid in the sense that some people appear to be born with a predisposition to certain behaviors, but that alone shouldn't govern how we deal with behaviors that impact others.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:34 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Compares "Homosexuality to Alchoholism" today ? Isn't our Gov. to run for Prezzdent again?
This is amusing stuff but at least he made it onto MSNBC again.
Perry claims people can be cured of homosexuality- through therapy.
Exactly like my ex-mother-in-law, he has all the societal ills firgured out. It is all a matter of how one looks at these issues. We can "fix" every last one of the Homosexuals with their problem, with the help of Obama Care.
Simple enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sheryl Swoopes - WNBA superstar player came out as gay - hailed as a hero UNTIL she said it was a choice. The celebrating stopped on a dime. Then last I heard, she went back straight and is engaged to be married to a guy. Again no celebrating - even though she is being herself.

No one celebrates people being themselves. They celebrate some agenda advancing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Plenty of gay people have married the opposite sex.

Like I said before, libs think it's great when public people come out.

Conservatives spend a lot of time worrying about the nitty gritty details of gay stuff.

It's odd.

No comment on her freely choosing to be gay or choosing to be straight later on?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:36 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
OMG! LOL! BWAHAHAHA! ROFL! LMAO!

I'm sorry. Could you say that again?
No, I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The facts are some people do go back and forth. They are probably born and reared so they are not strongly predisposed to being gay or straight. Probably therapy could change the current sexual preference of these individuals. It obviously would not work for those with strong predispositions toward being gay.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes.

See, in the Olden days, Christianity was this idea that you should improve your own behavior, choose to act morally as a free agent, and abstain from pointing out motes in other people's eyes. Abstain from picking up stones, as it were. That's kinda hard.

But in the modern way, it's all about finding other people whose behavior doesn't live up to your Christian standards, and then make them live according to your idea of God's word. And making others change their ways has the advantage of being so much easier on yourself.
Really, you actually believe that? The Christian view on homosexuality has been growing more tolerant, not less.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Could not be worse then this moron..

Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The facts are some people do go back and forth. They are probably born and reared so they are not strongly predisposed to being gay or straight. Probably therapy could change the current sexual preference of these individuals. It obviously would not work for those with strong predispositions toward being gay.
It's also a fact that most people - especially men - are strongly predisposed to their sexual orientation, whatever it may be.

The American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association have both stated that conversion therapy is useless, and in fact, often leads to more harm than good. There is essentially no evidence to prove that therapy can change a person's sexual orientation.

Some people may go back-and-forth, but the vast majority do not, and cannot.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
He was asked a question and he answered it honestly and directly. Better than dodging the question for some sort of political gain like Hillary Cackle Clinton.

He would have been a great president. It's a shame people prefer an eloquent speaker or first _________ (female/black/fill in the blank) president of the US! as opposed to someone with actual governing abilities, character, etc.
He wold have been a great president? Based on this answer?

How? He answer honestly. This gives me a reason not to support him. I'm all for honesty, but I'm also a fan of 'thought.' Anyone who legitimately believes homosexuality can be cured in not thinking clearly, and a person who doesn't think rationally cannot be a great president.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

The American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association have both stated that conversion therapy is useless, and in fact, often leads to more harm than good. There is essentially no evidence to prove that therapy can change a person's sexual orientation.
My guess is APA I and II are right 95+% of the time. If an individual can change his sexual orientation than it is hard to believe an individual with help cannot. I agree that the likelihood of doing harm exceeds the likelihood of doing good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies