Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Times are hard today. However, I am more proud of this America than I am of the America that was.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I apologize.
No need to apologize, but thank you. I always appreciate respectful actions.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I did think about joining the Marine Corps after High School...., but I refuse to serve a nation that would elect Barrack Obama not once but twice and treat illegal immigrates better then veterans...

I have seen the poverty of Central and South America here in America..Why do you think I so for border security and a fence..?
You're serving your country not just Obama
But Obama is only going to be president for 2 more years, THEN will you enlist, or will you have another excuse by then. Of all the excuses I've heard to not enlist, this takes the cake. BTW I enlisted during the Reagan years 1983. Or why don't you get a job with the Border Patrol or ICE, or enlist. Just think you'll get to fire all the guns you want, and help wipe out those illegals you hate so badly

Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
No need to apologize, but thank you. I always appreciate respectful actions.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really. Whenever I bring up the historical fact that pre-1960s America for Blacks was quite horrible, the response is that of sarcasm and snide remarks.

I never claimed to have been a slave. I said if I as a Black man, were living in the America of long ago(1950s and before), it would have been horrible for me. That is a historical fact. That is basic US History 101.
So what's the answer? What are you expecting from me because of that? I wasn't alive then, and neither were you.
Other races faced hardships, and they've adapted and overcame.
Maybe its time to take a hint.
You seem unhappy.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
So what's the answer? What are you expecting from me because of that? I wasn't alive then, and neither were you.
Other races faced hardships, and they've adapted and overcame.
Maybe its time to take a hint.
You seem unhappy.
I'm not talking about other races. I am talking about ME and how I would have fared in the America that was vs the America that is. I'm talking about ME and how I would have had it in the years of the 1950s and before. I'm talking about how I would have been treated as a Black man in those days. In fact, Blacks standing up and fighting for their own rights paved the way for other ethnicities.

You have made fallacious accusations. You said that I claimed that I was a slave. You also say that I am unhappy. Here is my question. Can you disprove the historical fact that life for Black people was quite hard compared to Whites in the 1930s? Can you disprove the historical facts? If not, then the snide remarks only show that perhaps my opinions have touched a nerve.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not talking about other races. I am talking about ME and how I would have fared in the America that was vs the America that is. I'm talking about ME and how I would have had it in the years of the 1950s and before. I'm talking about how I would have been treated as a Black man in those days. In fact, Blacks standing up and fighting for their own rights paved the way for other ethnicities.

You have made fallacious accusations. You said that I claimed that I was a slave. You also say that I am unhappy. Here is my question. Can you disprove the historical fact that life for Black people was quite hard compared to Whites in the 1930s? Can you disprove the historical facts? If not, then the snide remarks only show that perhaps my opinions have touched a nerve.
No nerves here, you're the one getting all emotional. Point is, America is not like that now, you're just a kid that should be concentrating on improving "The Black" situation now or however you want to label it. Most of your posts dwell on black history, try looking forward for a change.
And stop expecting some politician to help you out. That's a huge mistake blacks make IMO.
My wife is a minority, I don't see her family dwelling on the fact her grandparents and older relatives were rounded up and incarcerated at the beginning of WW2, or about the numerous other obstacles they face daily.
Heck, they're wealthy business owners now in a large southern city.
Only problem I got is the incessant whining going on around here.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Pre-welfare state America must have been an exciting dynamic place to live in. America post FDR.....meh.
America's always been a welfare state - for white men.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM

260 posts, read 195,340 times
I don't care for a lot in either past or present America but I certainly don't care for a government run by multi-national conglomerates that works solely for their benefit and to manage the consumers (people formerly known as citizens) so that they can be harvested for maximum revenue while conveniently numbed out. I don't care for a culture that cannot stop drooling over re-made movie 'franchises' or that worships idiots whose only purpose is to show how much money can be made by being complete asses. I won't even say anything about music today.

Sadly, America today does not understand that these are not the watershed days they are expecting them to be. Future America will be much, much worse than past or present America.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
No nerves here, you're the one getting all emotional. Point is, America is not like that now, you're just a kid that should be concentrating on improving "The Black" situation now or however you want to label it. Most of your posts dwell on black history, try looking forward for a change.
And stop expecting some politician to help you out. That's a huge mistake blacks make IMO.
My wife is a minority, I don't see her family dwelling on the fact her grandparents and older relatives were rounded up and incarcerated at the beginning of WW2, or about the numerous other obstacles they face daily.
Heck, they're wealthy business owners now in a large southern city.
Only problem I got is the incessant whining going on around here.
You are missing the point. I know it is better today. I have pointed that out over and over. However, the question of this is " Are You Proud Of America For What It Is, Or For What It Once Was?". I answered the question. The thing I should be concentrating on is getting MYSELF in a good position. I've got ME to worry about.

I answered the question, and you respond to my answer with snide remarks.

And as for your wife, well, good for your wife. I'm talking about ME.

Blacks have made gains because they stood up for themselves and fought back. Why should have we not done that?

I'm telling the truth. You just refer to it as whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies