Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,875,496 times

Advertisements

I love how Nancy Pelosi talks about income inequality and then says give me my dang money... talk to her about a wealth tax that reduces everyones wealth is reduced down to a 10 million cap and I am sure she will have a heart attack... along with Bill Gates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,406,772 times
The real issue is not how wealthy a particular congressman is, but that you have to be wealthy to be a congressman.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The wealth of other people is none of my business. I am not a covetous person. If she wants to be a trillionaire, more power to her (assuming it's done legally). (and of course, we could talk about how she got her riches, but that's another topic)

What grates me is when someone tells me I shouldn't do something or shouldn't be something or shouldn't have something... when that is exactly what they do and they are and they have. It's like Hugh Hefner telling me having sex is wrong and that I shouldn't do it. Hypocrisy. That's a gripe I have against liberals in general, because much of the time, such is the case with them.
I don't recall ever hearing Pelosi tell people they can't be rich or shouldn't make money.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. You have to laugh that they went after Martha Stewart for 50 g worth of insider trading when many like Pelosi and the Kennedys have literally made millions doing it. Look at Reid he became a millionaire while in Office.
Now I might be able to take Pelosi's cry for taxing the rich more seriously if say she filed her taxes and didn't take advantage of the very loopholes she demonizes others for using. If loopholes are evil and bad then don't use them. Make a statement. If she were for real she would.
Now that is a great point, if Martha Stewart had to go to jail for inside trading, just about everyone in Congress should be in prison for the same reason...Though all we need to do is stick up bars on the Capitol and not let them out except to workout in the fenced in yard and then they would basically be in a really fancy prison.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,040,177 times
I'm confused.

When people point out the excessive wealth of the rich, the far-right jumps up and down, screaming about "free markets" and how "nobody else is entitled to mah money!"

But when somebody who's not far-right is rich, suddenly the right-wingers have a problem with it... talk about hypocrisy!

Of course, their excuse is "Well, people on the left claim to care about the poor, so why are they rich?" That is, of course, a total failure in reasoning:

1) You can be rich and still care about the poor. Look at Bill Gates, for example. Now, don't get me wrong - our leaders from BOTH parties care nothing about us, but it is grossly idiotic to claim that being rich alone means you care nothing about the poor.

2) Apparently, we're to believe that since the Republican party makes it clear that they love the rich and hate the poor, that somehow makes them morally superior to the Democrats, who don't hate the poor... Don't ask how that can be since it makes no sense whatsoever...

Here's the truth: our leaders don't care about us, being rich doesn't mean you hate the poor or harmed others to gain that wealth, and the Republican viewpoint of hating the poor doesn't somehow grant them moral superiority, nor does it let them off the hook for excesses in their own party.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I love how Nancy Pelosi talks about income inequality and then says give me my dang money... talk to her about a wealth tax that reduces everyones wealth is reduced down to a 10 million cap and I am sure she will have a heart attack... along with Bill Gates...
False on the Bill Gates part.
Billionaire Bill Gates Calls For Increasing Taxes On The Rich: 'That's Just Justice' | ThinkProgress

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Now that is a great point, if Martha Stewart had to go to jail for inside trading, just about everyone in Congress should be in prison for the same reason...Though all we need to do is stick up bars on the Capitol and not let them out except to workout in the fenced in yard and then they would basically be in a really fancy prison.
Although we tend to be polar opposites on many things, we are living proof that common ground can be found among reasonable people. You at least are willing to see the faults of your own party. It really is a shame so many put party loyalty above all else.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The real issue is not how wealthy a particular congressman is, but that you have to be wealthy to be a congressman.
That is something I agree with, I get Senators being wealthy because it is hard to run an election on the state level, but the House should be easier for people with a modest income and experience at the local level in politics to win. If anything, we have too many millionaires in the House. Which is another reason why I support campaign money limitations that should include overall campaign funds to make it realistic for someone who isn't rich to run for the House.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Although we tend to be polar opposites on many things, we are living proof that common ground can be found among reasonable people. You at least are willing to see the faults of your own party. It really is a shame so many put party loyalty above all else.
That is true, honestly if I lived in Pelosi's district, I probably wouldn't vote for her. I would vote for another Democrat in the primaries and vote for a third party in the general if she won the primary.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm confused.

When people point out the excessive wealth of the rich, the far-right jumps up and down, screaming about "free markets" and how "nobody else is entitled to mah money!"

But when somebody who's not far-right is rich, suddenly the right-wingers have a problem with it... talk about hypocrisy!

Of course, their excuse is "Well, people on the left claim to care about the poor, so why are they rich?" That is, of course, a total failure in reasoning:

1) You can be rich and still care about the poor. Look at Bill Gates, for example. Now, don't get me wrong - our leaders from BOTH parties care nothing about us, but it is grossly idiotic to claim that being rich alone means you care nothing about the poor.

2) Apparently, we're to believe that since the Republican party makes it clear that they love the rich and hate the poor, that somehow makes them morally superior to the Democrats, who don't hate the poor... Don't ask how that can be since it makes no sense whatsoever...

Here's the truth: our leaders don't care about us, being rich doesn't mean you hate the poor or harmed others to gain that wealth, and the Republican viewpoint of hating the poor doesn't somehow grant them moral superiority, nor does it let them off the hook for excesses in their own party.
Autually. It's when someone on the far left who is rich complain about rich people on the right not paying a fair share in taxes when they themselves take advantage of the same exact loopholes. Pelosi complains a great deal and yet has made millions using her position in Government to facilitate her gains. How can I as an average Joe take someone like her seriously?
Like anyone I prefer to keep as much of my hard earned money as possible. I don't fault anyone for wanting lower taxes. I do fault a fed that can't budget and spend within its means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies