Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times

Advertisements

A new report released by the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) shows that happiness levels are highest in northern European countries. Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands rated at the top of the list, ranking first, second and third, respectively.

Why did the northern European countries come out looking so good? Overall economic health played a powerful role, says Simon Chapple, senior economist from the Social Policy Division of the OECD, which put together the report.

https://www.commondreams.org/further/2009/05/11-4

The world's happiest countries

These nations rate the highest in 11 factors that contribute to a high quality of life, including income, education, housing, health, safety and life satisfaction.

The world's happiest countries- MSN Money

Unfortunately they don't let everyone who wants to,to just enter there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I never quite understand how this works. Much of the economic prosperity there is from off-shore oil drilling. Those here who seem to argue for a similar system for the U.S. will tell us how evil something like off-shore oil drilling is.

How does this work?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never quite understand how this works. Much of the economic prosperity there is from off-shore oil drilling. Those here who seem to argue for a similar system for the U.S. will tell us how evil something like off-shore oil drilling is.

How does this work?
Wouldn't know because I can't speak for others,but I imagine a very strong possibility is because Americans know without a doubt that the oil industry here are pimps for American politicians,maybe that is not the case in those better governments?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:08 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Wouldn't know because I can't speak for others,but I imagine a very strong possibility is because Americans know without a doubt that the oil industry here are pimps for American politicians,maybe that is not the case in those better governments?
LOL

Wait, you were being serious?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Why is a left wing rag like Common Dreams bringing up a poll from 2009? Yeah, I know... because the people who believe this crap don't care.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Why is a left wing rag like Common Dreams bringing up a poll from 2009? Yeah, I know... because the people who believe this crap don't care.
FYI,I did not notice a date, but the second one from MSN Money is not '09,it's from April/May 2014!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
A new report released by the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) shows that happiness levels are highest in northern European countries. Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands rated at the top of the list, ranking first, second and third, respectively.

Why did the northern European countries come out looking so good? Overall economic health played a powerful role, says Simon Chapple, senior economist from the Social Policy Division of the OECD, which put together the report.

https://www.commondreams.org/further/2009/05/11-4

The world's happiest countries

These nations rate the highest in 11 factors that contribute to a high quality of life, including income, education, housing, health, safety and life satisfaction.

The world's happiest countries- MSN Money

Unfortunately they don't let everyone who wants to,to just enter there.
That must explain their high suicide rate.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:30 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Hmmm... Those are the countries that have highly regressive tax systems. You know, the tax systems in which the high income earners pay lower tax rates than the lower and middle income earners. Read the tax progressivity chart, here:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

Actually, I think you may be on to something... Let's flip the U.S. tax system to regressive, have the lower and middle income earners pay a higher tax rate, and we can be a happy country, too.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... Those are the countries that have highly regressive tax systems. You know, the tax systems in which the high income earners pay lower tax rates than the lower and middle income earners. Read the tax progressivity chart, here:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

Actually, I think you may be on to something... Let's flip the U.S. tax system to regressive, have the lower and middle income earners pay a higher tax rate, and we can be a happy country, too.

You can put your 'spin' on the Washington Post article all you want,thanks for including it BTW,because anyone who looks at the chart and actually READS the article will see how much better those countrie's regressive tax system is.... and no wonder the people are happier since it is more evenly distributed and spent to help the citizens!

"Everyone knows that Europe's welfare states are much more progressive than the United States', in that they reduce inequality by a much greater percent. Among OECD members, only Iceland, Turkey, South Korea, Chile and Mexico have less progressive overall systems:

The United States has by far the most progressive income, payroll, wealth and property taxes of any developed country. Scandinavian social democracies like Denmark, Sweden and Norway have quite regressive direct taxes, as do the Netherlands and Switzerland. Foreign British territories are more progressive, but neither Australia nor Canada is nearly as progressive as the United States.

Basically, all of the progressivity of our fellow developed nations' welfare states comes on the spending side. They spend a whole lot more on transfer programs, education and health services, and other initiatives that are redistributive in impact. We, by contrast, tax progressively, and then spread the money around in a less progressive fashion."

Old 06-18-2014, 05:57 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
You can put your 'spin' on the Washington Post article all you want,thanks for including it BTW, because anyone who looks at the chart and actually READS the article will see how much better those countrie's regressive tax system is and no wonder the people are happier since it is more evenly distributed and spent to help the citizens!
So, you agree that lower and middle income earners should pay higher total tax rates than high income earners?

Quote:
"Everyone knows that Europe's welfare states are much more progressive than the United States', in that they reduce inequality by a much greater percent.
Exactly. But make sure you understand that the way they accomplish that is by charging lower and middle income earners higher total tax rates than the high income earners pay.

The question we should be asking is... are lower and middle income earners in the U.S. willing to disproportionately pay the costs of the social benefits they want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies