Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 AM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You still trying to convince the world that Native Americans don't know what they're talking about when they say they find the term "Redskinn" offensive?

You're right and I believe it was the Powhaten of Virginia who used red ochre to paint their faces and arms. Some historians point to this as the origin of the term Redskin. If you also research the complete record, you'll find that the term evolved into a racist slur in the 18th and 19th century, especially during the Andrew Jackson administration when the concept of Manifest Destiny was coined. You remember, "From Sea to Shining Sea". Unfortunately the land from Ohio to the Pacific was full of Indians and Buffalo that had to be exterminated first before the white man could fulfill their Manifest Destiny wet dream of total dominance. More treaties were signed and broken under the Jackson administration than at any other time in history. This is why the American Indian spits on a twenty dollar bill, face up.

When I was a child back in the late 40s, early 50s, I witnessed my Mother being called a "dirty Redskin" when she took me into town. When I was a teen in the late 50s, I remember pick ups full of lilly white teen boys driving down the dirt road yelling "Fu*K You, Redskin!". Occasionally they would throw empty beer bottles at us.
Now why don't you and your cronies tell me why I'm really not offended by the term and how I should be a good Indian and just accept your usage and branding.

The term N!**er evolved from the Spanish for black.(Negro) Nothing racist about that. White men with lazy grammar pronounced it Negra or Negrow. No one can deny that the Spanish color for black has evolved into a hateful racist term.
It's the same for "Redskin".

My final argument to your historical facts are....."We don't paint our faces red anymore, so stop calling us redskins".
You final argument is as ignorant as the poor mannered youth who made you feel bad 50+ years ago, because nobody is calling you a Redskin .... you are whining about what someone else is calling THEMSELVES!!! And that really is ignorant.

Your experience as a youngster is deplorable and unfortunate. But it was the ignorant behavior that was the offense, and not the term "Redskin". It could have been any word used, and poorly raised kids have never had a problem finding mean spirited ways and words to harass other children. What are we to do to eliminate that? Ban any word that can be used in a negative context? That would require a vast reduction in the English language, leaving us eventually to grunts and groans to communicate like cavemen.

You see, this is political correctness run amuck, as this type of thinking ... which is really flawed ... shows up now even on boards like this, where words are censored, and prevent communicating points. For example, in england, they use a slang term for cigarette that starts with an F, ends in a G, with an A in the middle ... and how ridiculous is it that I can't even type the damned word without it being converted to ***.?

And you said it yourself ... the origin of the term was not a slur, meaning that the term itself is a benign term that at some point was adopted and used in a negative manner, again meaning that it is the intent of the speaker and their intention provides the meaning and not the words used.

Common sense also would immediately conclude that since the Washington Redskins adopted the name for themselves, they obviously are using the term correctly and in a positive context, and with it's original meaning of a warrior prepared for battle.

Furthermore, it has been my observation that it is a very racist mentality that sees racism where it doesn't even exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You final argument is as ignorant as the poor mannered youth who made you feel bad 50+ years ago, because nobody is calling you a Redskin .... you are whining about what someone else is calling THEMSELVES!!! And that really is ignorant.

Your experience as a youngster is deplorable and unfortunate. But it was the ignorant behavior that was the offense, and not the term "Redskin". It could have been any word used, and poorly raised kids have never had a problem finding mean spirited ways and words to harass other children. What are we to do to eliminate that? Ban any word that can be used in a negative context? That would require a vast reduction in the English language, leaving us eventually to grunts and groans to communicate like cavemen.

You see, this is political correctness run amuck, as this type of thinking ... which is really flawed ... shows up now even on boards like this, where words are censored, and prevent communicating points. For example, in england, they use a slang term for cigarette that starts with an F, ends in a G, with an A in the middle ... and how ridiculous is it that I can't even type the damned word without it being converted to ***.?

And you said it yourself ... the origin of the term was not a slur, meaning that the term itself is a benign term that at some point was adopted and used in a negative manner, again meaning that it is the intent of the speaker and their intention provides the meaning and not the words used.

Common sense also would immediately conclude that since the Washington Redskins adopted the name for themselves, they obviously are using the term correctly and in a positive context, and with it's original meaning of a warrior prepared for battle.

Furthermore, it has been my observation that it is a very racist mentality that sees racism where it doesn't even exist.
ahhhhh, the old; "I know you are, but what am I?" rebuttal...well done!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times
Default Did you phony liberals know there is a movie theatre named Redskins Theatre in Anadarko,OK...

a city whos population is divided evenly between Indians and whites? In fact..this city is commonly referred to as the "Indian Capital of the Nation". But I guess it takes real courage to create a fake crisis with what you are doing with the Washington Redskins. This whole name issue is clearly a left wing issue, not an indian issue. You liberals should have real problems. This theatre has the same logo on it that the football teams' helmut does, in a town that is 50% Indian. They haven't had a problem with it for decades. This whole redskins team name change is clearly a liberal issue, one that involves mental deficiency!

www.redskinmovie.com

Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
What defines a "phony liberal?"

Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
No.

I can say with complete honesty that I did not know there was a theatre named Redskins Theatre in Anadarko, OK. The existence of said theatre is news to me. I may go so far as to say that I haven't given much thought to the entertainment and social life in Anadarko, OK, at all.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:17 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Who are the phony liberals? If they are phony, wouldn't that mean that they were conservatives?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
What defines a "phony liberal?"
Someone who's not acting like conservatives have been trained to think liberals should act.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
a city whos population is divided evenly between Indians and whites? In fact..this city is commonly referred to as the "Indian Capital of the Nation". But I guess it takes real courage to create a fake crisis with what you are doing with the Washington Redskins. This whole name issue is clearly a left wing issue, not an indian issue. You liberals should have real problems.

www.redskinmovie.com
Are you a phony rwnjb?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:20 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
I too must say.

I may go so far as to say that I haven't given much thought to the entertainment and social life in Anadarko, OK, at all.

Thanks. Dane_in_LA

Old 07-01-2014, 12:27 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Someone who's not acting like conservatives have been trained to think liberals should act.
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking. Someone who doesn't act like some trolling *******s strawman of what liberals should be. Probably not even be a liberal...just someone they disagree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies