Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Judge tells father if he doesn't attend the child custody case on time, he'll not only loose custody of his daughter, the daughter would be given back to the ex-wife (whom CPS took the daughter from for her safety), and an order for his arrest would be given. Normally, this isn't a bad thing. However in this case, the father is a US Navy sailor deployed on a submarine and the judge was aware of this when she issued her order and didn't care.

Judge Orders Deployed US Sailor To Attend Custody Hearing Or Lose Daughter, Face Arrest « CBS Seattle

This judge is in Michigan while the father and daughter are in Seattle, where they've lived for about 4 years. How does she have jurisdiction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 08:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So this guy who has custody of his daughter just leaves her with an unrelated woman?

Its his wife, the girls stepmother, whom the father married and has been living with her and the daughter in Washington state for four years. The stepmother is basically the only mother that this girl has known. She's hardly some "unrelated woman."

Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Its his wife, the girls stepmother, whom the father married and has been living with her and the daughter in Washington state for four years.

She's hardly some "unrelated woman."
She is an unrelated women. She's not the child's mother or aunt or grandma, etc.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. I don't have kids, nor do I know custody law.

Let's say I had a kid with a women, we weren't together, and I got custody. Am I allowed to leave the US for months and months and leave my kid with my boyfriend?
If you're leaving to go serve on a US Navy ship, yes. What do you think, any divorced person in the military should just lose custody of their children? Yeah, sounds like a great way to reward people who are willing to serve their country.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If you're leaving to go serve on a US Navy ship, yes. What do you think, any divorced person in the military should just lose custody of their children? Yeah, sounds like a great way to reward people who are willing to serve their country.
So it's dependent on whether you are in the military? What if I work 6 months a year in Antarctica?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
She is an unrelated women. She's not the child's mother or aunt or grandma, etc.

Which means very little in this situation. This girl has spent more time with her stepmother than her own mother. By all legal standards, the stepmother has standing when it comes to custody issues. The father was granted permanent custody of the child, when he married his wife, those same custodial rights extended to her.

Pulling a young girl out of a stable household for no relevant or legally defensible reason other than the judge's own opinion that the girl "should" be with her mother, especially if that mother lost custody due to negligence, is just a sign of an idiot judge that should be disbarred in short order.

Part of what is required to be a judge is the ability to use common sense and this judge seems to have been given the short end of the stick when it comes to that.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Which means very little in this situation. This girl has spent more time with her stepmother than her own mother. By all legal standards, the stepmother has standing when it comes to custody issues.
The stepmother has ZERO standing when it comes to custody of this child.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They are YOUR kids, you can do anything you want to regarding that if you have custody.
I'd think he is learning different than that now. He has responsibility to care properly for the child and likely that is the issue. I'd think the wife had same problem which was filed by him earlier on custody. Likely the story information came form his laws so who knows.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
The stepmother has ZERO standing when it comes to custody of this child.

In this situation, as the care-giver appointed by a father who was awarded permanent custody of the girl, she does. There's no credible reason for this judge to pull this girl away from the only home that she's ever really known, particularly on behalf of a negligent mother who lost the child originally to CPS.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd think he is learning different than that now. He has responsibility to care properly for the child and likely that is the issue. I'd think the wife had same problem which was filed by him earlier on custody. Likely the story information came form his laws so who knows.

There is no evidence that this girl isn't being cared properly for. The girl calls the stepmother "mom" and doesn't even know her own mother.

If deploying while in the military means you automatically aren't caring for your kids, there are tens of thousands of kids out there that need to get shuffled around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies