Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's not the case in Atlanta, the home of the CDC. The labs at the CDC and the Atlanta hospitals that are associated with the CDC have much, much higher levels of viral security than an average hospital.

Your comparison is like comparing a Ford sedan to a Ferrari Formula One racer. The CDC does not do routine surgeries.
I wasn't talking about the two Americans brought here with the virus. I was responding to someone who said this virus is like AIDS, and that the only reason the doctor in Africa got it was because he was handling bodily fluids in an unsanitary environment. I was just pointing out that the guy was wearing the suit, not handling fluids without gloves, and that he probably washed hands frequently and did not have sex with locals, so where did he pick up the virus? It is said it was from a contaminated medical worker, whom I'm also assuming he did not have sexual contact with. In other words, it's not transferrable like AIDS. I also was pointing out that hospital conditions in the United States aren't all that sanitary either considering the number of patients getting infected with staph.

I really am not all that worried about the two patients being flown into the CDC, but I am worried about the thousands of people flying out of Africa all the time and the long incubation periods. I don't think we have a handle on this situation at all. The time to do that was in June, but our government was too worried about other things to pick up on threats that should have been nipped in the bud already. What is the World Health Organization for if not to deal with these types of issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Anyone remember this from a couple of years ago?

The desperate fight to stop contagion: How government gene sleuths prevented an untreatable superbug outbreak in Washington DC after six died at top research hospital

Contagion avoided: How government gene sleuths stopped a superbug outbreak after six died at top research hospital | Mail Online
"And here's the bad news: Whatever's happening in Florida appears to be spreading. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign tweeted the following warning to its students last night: "Hazardous materials released at Institute for Genomic Biology. Escape area if safe to do so. Otherwise seek shelter."

Grab Your Boomstick: The Zombie Apocalypse May Actually Be Upon Us

Old 08-03-2014, 11:52 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Ebola is not as contagious as other diseases but it's lethality rate is much higher than most. Imagine an infected person being at a hot, sweaty environment like a public market in Africa where there is close contact with other people. It wouldn't take too much for this disease to balloon out of control.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
"And here's the bad news: Whatever's happening in Florida appears to be spreading. The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign tweeted the following warning to its students last night: "Hazardous materials released at Institute for Genomic Biology. Escape area if safe to do so. Otherwise seek shelter."

Grab Your Boomstick: The Zombie Apocalypse May Actually Be Upon Us
Drugs seem to be a common theme.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I wasn't talking about the two Americans brought here with the virus. I was responding to someone who said this virus is like AIDS, and that the only reason the doctor in Africa got it was because he was handling bodily fluids in an unsanitary environment. I was just pointing out that the guy was wearing the suit, not handling fluids without gloves, and that he probably washed hands frequently and did not have sex with locals, so where did he pick up the virus? It is said it was from a contaminated medical worker, whom I'm also assuming he did not have sexual contact with. In other words, it's not transferrable like AIDS. I also was pointing out that hospital conditions in the United States aren't all that sanitary either considering the number of patients getting infected with staph.

I really am not all that worried about the two patients being flown into the CDC, but I am worried about the thousands of people flying out of Africa all the time and the long incubation periods. I don't think we have a handle on this situation at all. The time to do that was in June, but our government was too worried about other things to pick up on threats that should have been nipped in the bud already. What is the World Health Organization for if not to deal with these types of issues?
It would really help if you understood staph infections.
Many healthy people already have staph bacteria living on them, in the nose and on the skin. Then they get an open wound and voila!

Over 30 different types of Staphylococci can infect humans, but most infections are caused by Staphylococcus aureus. Staphylococci can be found normally in the nose and on the skin (and less commonly in other locations) of around 25%-30% of healthy adults and in 25% of hospital workers. In the majority of cases, the bacteria do not cause disease. However, damage to the skin or other injury may allow the bacteria to overcome the natural protective mechanisms of the body, leading to infection.
Staph Infection: Symptoms and Staphylococcus Aureus Facts

Do many people have ebola living in their noses?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Drugs seem to be a common theme.
Certain chemicals.

I used to courier these when I worked at NIH:

Acrylamide
Glacial Acetic Acid
Potassium Hydroxide
Boric Acid
Acetonitrile Optima Grade
Hexanes Optima Grade
Chloroform
Paraformaldehyde
Methanol
Hygromycin B
Dichlorodimethylsilane
Toluene
Staphylococcus Aureus.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-03-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 12:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
There will soon be an outbreak of Ebola in China. From there it will spread world wide in a matter of weeks.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Many healthy people already have staph bacteria living on them, in the nose and on the skin. Then they get an open wound and voila!

Over 30 different types of Staphylococci can infect humans, but most infections are caused by Staphylococcus aureus. Staphylococci can be found normally in the nose and on the skin (and less commonly in other locations) of around 25%-30% of healthy adults and in 25% of hospital workers. In the majority of cases, the bacteria do not cause disease. However, damage to the skin or other injury may allow the bacteria to overcome the natural protective mechanisms of the body, leading to infection.
Staph Infection: Symptoms and Staphylococcus Aureus Facts
I wonder what "other injury" might cause good staph to go bad.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

Do many people have ebola living in their noses?
Keep a clean nose.

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/sub...homesick-blues

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-03-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Are you kidding me? AIDS has killed how many? Should have been quarantined. Now liberals want to sit around and let Ebola run wild then will scream why didn't anybody do anything after the fact. Just pure insanity.
AIDS and Ebola aren't in the same ballpark. How are you to quarantine AIDS when it took years to discover due to long incubation periods, and those long incubation periods meant there was no way to know how many people even had the disease? It took them a long time after discovery just to figure out how it was transmitted. I recall them begging the government to at least start testing blood supplies and place limits on who could donate blood so people needing blood transfusions wouldn't be at risk, but it took several years for something to be done about it.

Still AIDS isn't all that easy to contract from other people. You can only get it through blood contact, meaning even during sex it has to involve lesions or tears. As soon as they discovered how to get it out of the blood supply, it's very difficult for people to get it except through certain behaviors or having the misfortune to be born to a woman who has it.

Ebola is much more dangerous because it doesn't have to be blood to blood contact. All that is required is that you pick it up from coming into contact with an infected person's bodily fluids. That could as easy as touching contaminated surfaces and then getting it in your eyes or mouth or nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies