Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:49 AM

17,860 posts, read 13,787,748 times

Advertisements

I'm proud to be on welfare.

Are you happy now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,123,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Who appointed you queen of the world? IOW, what people do in their lives is none of your business.
It is if I pay for it.

There was a time when people were ashamed to be on public assistance.
For most it was a matter of pride and people would do whatever was necessary to get off and stay off of any type of handouts.
Those days seem to be long gone now for the most part.

I don't "hate" anyone because their poor but I do HATE the perpetual victim mentality of those individuals who choose to make a career out of the welfare system and those who coddle them and use them as political pawns.

Maybe not all social stigma is a bad thing.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,262,288 times
So the OP associates defending something as the same as being proud of something? I am proud there is a system that helps those in need so that they don't fall too deep into poverty.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:14 AM

45,294 posts, read 26,549,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So the OP associates defending something as the same as being proud of something? I am proud there is a system that helps those in need so that they don't fall too deep into poverty.
I too am proud that we steal from the productive and give to the unproductive in order to ensure a vote.
Ain't amurica great

Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,421,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I too am proud that we steal from the productive and give to the unproductive in order to ensure a vote.
Ain't amurica great
Everyone is on welfare. The government makes sure of that thru regulation and taxes.

It has nothing to do with "productivity". Our system is simply one of all competing for artificially controlled resources held by a select few.

Whether you're Walmart, Joe Blow on welfare, a college student getting "free aid", etc. all you do in our system is find the best way (for you) to make a life for yourself.

Being "productive" has nothing to do with anything.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:42 AM

4,417 posts, read 9,156,897 times
If a person tried to find a job in this awful economy and nobody hired that person, then he/she has every right to proudly collect and stick it to the powers that be!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,421,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
If a person tried to find a job in this awful economy and nobody hired that person, then he/she has every right to proudly collect and stick it to the powers that be!
You can always proclaim you are "too big to fail".

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,123,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So why do people act proud to be on welfare?

Why would people be proud of depending on strangers to earn the money to put food on their table, pay for their housing, pay for their healthcare? Why so proud about it?
Not disagreeing with you but maybe a better way to phrase the question would be to ask why there is not as much shame and social stigma associated with being on public assistance and why does the left think that this is a good thing?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 AM

14,026 posts, read 5,672,311 times
"People" aren't proud to be on welfare. Random jackasses who are carefully selected by specific media types to grab your attention are proud to be on welfare, or are pretending to be, thus to cast all welfare recipients as equivalent using guilt by association fallacy.

It goes like this - I want to make welfare recipients look ugly, greedy, selfish, lazy, etc. OK, let's go find the most stereotypical version of that which I seek, jam a camera in their face, get them to brag on how awesome welfare is and everyone not on it are suckaz or whatever, publish video to world, use corollary=causation to craft guilt by association blah blah, now you've made a proper ad hominem attack.

I would disparage it more, but defense of welfare is of the exact same nature, just instead of finding the worst welfare recipient, go find the most sympathetic one, put a camera in their face, and make everyone think THAT is the true face of welfare. Battered single mothers work really well for this, as do the functional mentally ill. This creates the image that NOBODY is on welfare by choice, all are victims, blah blah.

The truth of welfare, as with all things, lies in the middle. Some number are truly deserving/in need, and some number are welfare junky scumbags raping the system. Neither stereotypical case is actually required to attack or defend welfare, since that can be done logically, but Americans aren't logical, we are 10 second soundbite morons who like all of our tough issues distilled into easily digestible fallacies like this. It's why this country has only two legit parties and is so polarized. We reduce everything to binary using these absurd stereotypes.

For more - see
  • "how Todd Akin = all Republicans"
  • "how Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton = all black people"
  • "how Paris Hilton = all rich people"
  • etc.
It's what we do. We find some glaring example that fits our narrative and then we lump anything remotely resembling that glaring example into that bin in order to complete the narrative.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,262,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ain't amurica great
Do you find yourself spitting at people you think is less than you often? Which obviously you are another one of those taxes=stealing and freedom should be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies