Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Thank you, it is obvious he hasn't taken a debate class, so this is low-hanging fruit for me... But hey, call me Gallager, I have no problem crushing low-hanging fruit.
Harrier knows how to argue - thank you very much.

You have used numerous fallacies in the short time that we have been discussing the issue, so you really shouldn't be trumping your education.

When you make up your mind about what you believe and are ready to defend that position, let Harrier know.

You bore him with your intellectual fluctuation.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
To show what a non-issue SSM has become not one network evening news program (CBS, NBC, ABC) lead with much less covered the Utah and Indiana decisions announced today. There are still fifteen minutes or so left in the broadcasts but seems the World Cup soccer match is far more important.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To show what a non-issue SSM has become not one network evening news program (CBS, NBC, ABC) lead with much less covered the Utah and Indiana decisions announced today. There are still fifteen minutes or so left in the broadcasts but seems the World Cup soccer match is far more important.
Harrier made an earlier comparison to SSM and soccer, but it was deleted.

Anyways - Xander_Crews has lost the debate and Harrier has better things to do - bye.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,505,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You have cited the politically correct, redefinition of marriage.
I quoted the official definition from the most respected dictionary in the world.

Quote:
A word does not mean something because some people wrote a book and decided that is the definition.
Weird, because that is exactly how your "definition" came to be. I'm a hypocrite?

Quote:
Marriage is a union between a man and a woman.
WRONG:

Quote:
mar·riage noun \ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
: the relationship that exists between a husband and a wife

: a similar relationship between people of the same sex

: a ceremony in which two people are married to each other
Quote:
Period.
WRONG

Quote:
mar·riage noun \ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
: the relationship that exists between a husband and a wife

: a similar relationship between people of the same sex

: a ceremony in which two people are married to each other

Quote:
Really, you don't appear to have any principles which you will defend: you let other people define words just because they happened to write a book,
Uh, using words as defined does not indicate a lack of principles, thank you for posting more ridiculous crap to highlight your lack of understanding. Even the second largest, second most recognized English language dictionary defines marriage including same sex couples.

YOU. ARE. WRONG. PERIOD.

Quote:
you claim to want to get government out of the marriage business yet you also want to expand government involvement in it,
Incorrect, I never advocated expanding government involvement in marriage, you just MADE UP that position for me because you don't understand the English language and what words mean.

Quote:
and you call others hypocrites while being a hypocrite yourself.
I haven't backtracked once, or said anything that conflicts with another post of mine. YOU are failing to understand the words said, that makes you ignorant to my position, it does not make me a hypocrite.

Let's add "Hypocrite" to the list of words you don't understand the meaning of, shall we?

Quote:
Draw a line and hold it, man.

You sound like John Kerry.
Based on this line, you sound a lot like someone who can't read.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Harrier knows how to argue - thank you very much.
Laughably incorrect, and obvious to everyone but you. This line is a lie.

Quote:
You have used numerous fallacies in the short time that we have been discussing the issue, so you really shouldn't be trumping your education.
The only fallacies I have used were in sarcasm to highlight your use of them, if you think your post is free of fallacies, that makes this EVEN MORE laughable.

Quote:
When you make up your mind about what you believe and are ready to defend that position, let Harrier know.
Already did, you just can't read English, and you don't use the accepted definitions of words. This is why you are so confused.

Quote:
You bore him with your intellectual fluctuation.
What, the lack of it? You annoy everyone in this thread with your intellectual dishonesty.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Anyways - Xander_Crews has lost the debate and Harrier has better things to do - bye.
The only input from an outside perspective says you lost... BADLY.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,190,050 times
Good news. I just wish the Supreme Court would just legalize SSM nationwide so we could be done with this issue. My understanding is that one of the courts needs to vote against (after a stay) the initial vote to legalize SSM. The most likely court to do so is in the Southeast of this country. Once this court in the Southeast nullifies the overturning of the ban, the Supreme Court will hear it and ultimately vote to legalize marriage equality across the USA. Just my understanding. I'm no attorney or constitutional expert.

As for the infighting in this thread-- I suggest NOT engaging with posters that may not have the capacity to understand what they are writing... Although, it is amusing...

Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Government needs to be involved because it's a union that carries legal rights and responsibilities. It isn't just a hookup.
And finally, a MAN will get the sweepstakes from a divorce

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Good news. I just wish the Supreme Court would just legalize SSM nationwide so we could be done with this issue. My understanding is that one of the courts needs to vote against (after a stay) the initial vote to legalize SSM. The most likely court to do so is in the Southeast of this country. Once this court in the Southeast nullifies the overturning of the ban, the Supreme Court will hear it and ultimately vote to legalize marriage equality across the USA. Just my understanding. I'm no attorney or constitutional expert.

As for the infighting in this thread-- I suggest NOT engaging with posters that may not have the capacity to understand what they are writing... Although, it is amusing...
There will be an answer to this in under two weeks if not sooner IMHO.

If the SCOTUS does not take up Utah's appeal, then that ruling stands for the entire district and sets a pretty powerful precedent. It all be tells others challenging SSM bans in other states/federal courts nothing has changed since Windsor v DOMA so don't bother.

The high court could also decide it wishes to wait and combine several other cases pending before appellate panels such as Texas/Southwest, and IIRC Ohio. Question then becomes do they lift the stays and let marriages commence or not.

Court also could simply affirm without comment IIRC the Utah appellate decision which again pretty much means state bans against SSM are dead unless they present some sort of compelling interest.

Conservative groups keep losing these federal cases because they have brought nothing new to the table that counters Windsor v. DOMA. Utah did try by saying marriage was not a fundamental right and that states shouldn't be compelled and so forth, and you see what that got them.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Your best bet to just let Harrier have his fun. See he employs this thing I coined on here called the "Harrier Deflection Technique" or HDT for short. As such, what he does is deflects anything and everything that resembles an argument by typing in the third person, asking if he can marry his cat for whatever reason, and build up multiple strawmans to draw attention away from his intellectual weakness.

Mind you this is a man, at 30 something years old, who wants to become a lawyer. He even went so far as to attack my military service because he got fed up with my shoving his foot back into his foul mouth.

As for the subject - Yay for Indiana. This should be a state level decision, so only time will tell when every state allows this.
Don't you people realize Harrier is a 'professional' troll? The signs are all over him. Once I started ignoring him completely, my quality of life improved dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies