Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,370,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I abhor violence and would rather everyone avoid it altogether. But if it comes down to it and people are getting brutalized, I hope the protesting low-life thugs go down first, yes. There are some things I don't tolerate.
One of the things you clearly don't tolerate is people who disagree with you since you wish them harm and ill will. It's pretty sad that self proclaimed tolerant liberals want someone to be brutalized for exercising their Constitutional rights.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody is claiming abortion protesters can block the clinic entrance.
No, only left wing protesters such as OWS and unions can block entrances, obstruct access to public property, and etc......

Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Nope. You're an order of magnitude more ignorant if you honestly think all these people have in mind is standing in front of an abortion clinic in peaceful opposition, as you put it. Not just regular ignorance, but willful ignorance. Their presence at these places is often motivated by malice, lies and half-truths, and most of them probably don't even truly understand their own motivations or feelings, having been goaded into action by manipulative politicians, ministers or their own poorly examined and misguided beliefs.

They do have the legal right to do what they do, but that doesn't change the fact that their actions are completely devoid of even the slightest modicum of compassion, empathy, desire for understanding or plain old basic human decency. Please forgive me if the free speech rights of these cretins are not as important to me as the safety, security and psychological well-being of the people who actually have to undergo these kinds of procedures, or have already undergone them. They're going through enough already without having to be harassed by people who know nothing of their plight.

Besides, none of these people are lucid enough, knowledgeable enough, or emotionally sound enough to really make proper use of the right of free speech they do have. What they're doing now is nothing more than aggressive rabble-rousing with no clear purpose or goal other than to humiliate, intimidate and denigrate innocent people. The exceptional violence we've seen in and around abortion clinics over the past few decades (including several murders) is proof enough of that.
Can you cite the section of the First Amendment that states free speech is a right granted as long as it involves:

Quote:
compassion, empathy, desire for understanding or plain old basic human decency.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,064,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
One of the things you clearly don't tolerate is people who disagree with you since you wish them harm and ill will. It's pretty sad that self proclaimed tolerant liberals want someone to be brutalized for exercising their Constitutional rights.
I tolerate people who disagree with me.

I do not, however, tolerate people who antagonize others when they're at their lowest.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,631,052 times
Hypocrisy anyone?

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/06/26/supreme-irony-court-has-own-buffer-zone/
Attached Thumbnails
Supreme Court declares buffer zones at abortion clinics unconstitutional-supreme_court_buffer.jpg  

Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,847,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Especially the ones at the political conventions.
Yes, those are just *terrible*. What a message to send.

Still, we know violence can and occasionally does occur. I'd like to see people talk about how they'd minimize the potential for violence while still encouraging free speech.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,847,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How do you lefties feel about THAT interpretation of the constitution?

Next!
Just great, thanks for asking!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:19 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,413,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, those are just *terrible*. What a message to send.

Still, we know violence can and occasionally does occur. I'd like to see people talk about how they'd minimize the potential for violence while still encouraging free speech.
Ask people to be nice? There is no Utopia to be had.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:20 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,910,440 times
Quote:
Horrible and unbelievable. What about the patients' rights not to be harassed and bullied when going in for a medical procedure? There will be far more totally unnecessary confrontations at these places now. I hope the belligerents get brutalized when one of the women decides to stand her ground. In fact I hope it happens several times. Then perhaps the supremes will get the picture.

Enough with the "bullying" (we really do need a snooze smiley). Is that what I should have called it when we had to pass three evangelicals shouting into bullhorns when we'd go downtown to shop during our lunch breaks? We just [gasp!] walked by.

The perpetually offended should be on notice (if they didn't already know) that, in life, they're going to encounter words and actions that they may not like. Live with it. The very idea that abortion clinics thought that it was constitutional to impose their own arbitray area for "free speech" was laughable.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM

1,347 posts, read 957,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Free speech is not easy . You have to accept the idea that the other guy has the same right .
There is no constitutional right to be heard. It is nothing short of harassment for someone to scream or protest against someone going to a medical facility, the protestor has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to interfere with that person's fundamental right to be left alone and engage in their personal medical care.

A new law will be shortly passed that is more broadly written and lawsuit-proof; there are buffer zones around the white house and even the supreme court itself, that these morons believe they have the right to speak to other people is just lunacy - a symbol that this country is in process of flying off the rails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies