Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm curious to see what the outcome of all this is for sure. WILL raising min wage result in better, longer term employees? If so we won't be making jokes about MickyD employees much longer. WILL it improve a business to the point where it even has a better public reputation because all the employees are more professional?

OR will this be a giant ? LET'S WATCH!
A burger flipper is still a burger flipper even at $25/hour. The jokes will not stop. It's a job that needs to be changed to robots, maybe they will actually get the order right once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A burger flipper is still a burger flipper even at $25/hour. The jokes will not stop. It's a job that needs to be changed to robots, maybe they will actually get the order right once in a while.
Don't you see this is exactly what the problem is. Jobs are diminishing because technology has taken their place. When I call any professional....my doc, dentist, my insurance..........I get the robot. And if the robot doesn't like what I say or doesn't understand it I get frustrated and cuss them out lol My point is...I want a human to deal with. Jobs are being taken away by this.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Are you kidding me? Night school, college, technical certifications, vocational education, volunteer jobs with the possibility of transferring to paid work....you don't have to study rocket science. At my last job they wanted an A+ and Net+ certification, and since I was still working there I did some self study and achieved them. If you can't see a path to bettering yourself then you get what you get.

And after you receive all that advanced training there is no guarantee a job will be available in your field when you graduate. And you might end up stuck in a $9 minimum wage job trying to pay off your huge student loans.

Too Many College Grads Are Returning Home

Continuing a three-year trend, just under half of prospective graduates, 48 percent, plan to boomerang
– or move home – after graduation, according to the online career resource company.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see it this way at all. I see many front line workers who are learning to deal with people, juggle schedules, supervise others, multi task, provide good customer services (not an easy thing to with our current public btw) deal with some financials, ordering, and other things. Maybe jobs need to be/will be restructured so nobody's job is just standing there "flipping" when the beeper goes off. Maybe everyone who works there will be more responsible for the entirety of the business.

This is how entry level work SHOULD be. No one should be stuck "flipping" for a company for more than a short time if they have the brains to contribute more. If they lack the brains maybe they won't even get to "flip" now.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:12 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm all for a $15/hour min wage.
Bring it on.

McDonald's then ends up paying more than a teacher's salary.
And NO STRESS or work to bring home to boot.

I'll go sign up at McD's rather than sign up to teach in the public schools.
Most teachers starting pay is equivalent to about $22 per hour; at least here in Texas so don't exaggerate.

And I disagree about low paying jobs not being stressful. When I was in school and worked in McDonald's we wouldn't get lunch breaks if we had too many customers and we'd have to wait an hour or two before even thinking of using the restroom during those situations. There's also the attitude and insults you have to take from customers that often feel very entitled.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I thought small business people were so great because they can adapt to changing business conditions?

I look forward to watching the marginal businesses that fail simply because they have to pay a living wage, they have no business doing what they do if that is all it takes to sink them.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I thought small business people were so great because they can adapt to changing business conditions?

I look forward to watching the marginal businesses that fail simply because they have to pay a living wage, they have no business doing what they do if that is all it takes to sink them.

As someone who has been chronically undercapitalized, I can't blame a "marginal business" it it started on a shoestring. Some of these undercapitalized owners have been very creative in making a go of it, sometimes for years, before the business took off.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Don't you see this is exactly what the problem is. Jobs are diminishing because technology has taken their place. When I call any professional....my doc, dentist, my insurance..........I get the robot. And if the robot doesn't like what I say or doesn't understand it I get frustrated and cuss them out lol My point is...I want a human to deal with. Jobs are being taken away by this.
But do you want to pay for that human? People complain about automation and off shoring of jobs, but they enjoy the lower prices such actions deliver.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Scholarships my eye; I had 3.9 GPA and great test scores and all I got was a crummy NYS scholarship that 10+ percent of my graduating class got including practically everyone in my homeroom...but it was worth only $100 a year for books. Student loans are not an option and it wold take working my way through school one or two classes at a time; who's going to hire a 60-year-old for an entry-level job?
So, your solution is to have the gummint force an employer to give you a raise since you can't get it on your own?

PS-60 year olds qualify for Title V employment and training. Just saying.....

Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
And after you receive all that advanced training there is no guarantee a job will be available in your field when you graduate. And you might end up stuck in a $9 minimum wage job trying to pay off your huge student loans.

Too Many College Grads Are Returning Home

Continuing a three-year trend, just under half of prospective graduates, 48 percent, plan to boomerang
– or move home – after graduation, according to the online career resource company.

Too many students choose the wrong careers. Too many student choose a college degree when they would have been better in a trade. For some reason the trades get looked down upon.

Welders Make $150,000? Bring Back Shop Class

One of the stated reasons for offshoring is that there aren't enough welders in the US. If there is stell involved you need welders and the money is great, well above minumum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies