Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

Why can't we just legalize it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

"Focused"?

I'm pretty sure people who want to legalize marijuana are not focused.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,798 times
Money for government, couched as "freedom" and "it's just a harmless plant, man" type of hipness. $$$$$ for the government.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
Essentially they want to make it legal to do what minorities have been getting locked up for for decades while also making it only legal for them (the big corps or government) to do it and pursue other uses of it. American capitalism at its finest.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,496 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Anyone can grow it themselves. No need for stores, taxes, regulations.

I imagine if this was the norm it would have little to no monetary value. People would just trade different strains with each other if they wished to sample something different.

Too many prohibitionists who love their nanny state to ever have this become a reality, though.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
As it's been said on this board, Washington State's marijuana law goes "live" tomorrow. They are so ready to have the state legalize, tax and regulate marijuana, but they also voted on getting OUT of state run alcohol.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Focused"?

You mean it's absolutely impossible for a person to have any interest in legalizing marijuana, unless that person loves to smoke it.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You mean it's absolutely impossible for a person to have any interest in legalizing marijuana, unless that person loves to smoke it.

What?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Focused"?

Really now? So you support continuing to waste tax payers money and valuable resources on a failed war on weed, by prosecuting, and locking folks up (depending where, and how much they have on them when caught) over possession, consumption or cultivation of a plant that was used for 1,000 of years until a bunch of whiny corporatists and bureacrats got together to ban it, because they feared losing money? No I'm sure those of us who support legalization (whether we partake or not) are QUITE focused, and realize the immorality and the hypocrisy behind prohibition of cannabis!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Everything, and I do mean everything, is taxed and/or regulated. There is just no argument why Cannabis should be exempt.

If you want to buy marijuana now you have to go to the black market and there is no guarantee that you are getting what you think you are getting. Plus, the drug dealers aren't going to care about your age, so minors can get it pretty easily. Regulating pot lets the state set age, supply chain/access restrictions and set control standards. When you walk in to a licensed CO MJ dispensary you know what you are getting (no rat poison in your pot) and you know the consumers meet a certain standard (age, residency, etc.).

Another benefit of regulation is you take all the MJ drug money away from the Mexican cartels by prohibiting sellers from buying from the cartels. I recall one of the CO regulation stating that dispensaries must grow 85% of their product or 85% must be domestically sourced. I don't remember the exact regulation, but I remember the 85%. Another regulation states that you can grow up to 6 plants for personal use, but they can't be in the public or accessible to children.

Taxing just makes sense until the day cigarettes and alcohol aren't taxed and that is never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies