Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Some out there are saying that driverless cars are coming around the corner faster than we might imagine. Here's a prediction that 9% of cars sold will be driverless by 2035. It occurred to me that this has the potential to be a boon to the left. Here's a piece from Holman Jenkins of the WSJ on various privacy/liberty ramifications of the driverless car.
Holman Jenkins: When Your Car Is Spying on You - WSJ

Once driverless cars become common, gov't will doubtless demand and get the ability to tap into the network, as they have done with cell phones and the internet. They will want to know where you are going and when you are going, for the sake of environmentalism, safety, etc. Then with a little further slide down the slippery slope, they'll want to be able to control when and where you go. Why do you want to drive 3 blocks to the drug store when you live in a walkable community???? Buzzzz---permission denied.

A politician named Ron Sims (now retired) here in the Seattle area pushed for an odometer tax, and Oregon currently has an ongoing pilot project for an odometer tax that has civil libertarians concerned. A driverless car network could put that concept on steroids. Where will this end? A significant segment of modern life--the ability to move when and where we want, could now be gobbled up by the leviathan state.

Last edited by wutitiz; 07-01-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
Default driverless cars--potential boon for collectivists, social engineers, nannyists, and Democrats?

Yes.

Anything that subtracts from individual control.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:52 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Well where do you want to drive to that the government shouldn't know about?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well where do you want to drive to that the government shouldn't know about?
An incall?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:00 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Interesting take. I for one am excited about napping on my way to work.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
These could easily be under government control - forbidden to go certain places, forced to use certain fuels, forced to go no further than a certain distance over a certain time, etc. The technology is not bad - it is the government that will find a way to misuse it.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Some out there are saying that driverless cars are coming around the corner faster than we might imagine. Here's a prediction that 9% of cars sold will be driverless by 2035. It occurred to me that this has the potential to be a boon to the left. Here's a piece from Holman Jenkins of the WSJ on various privacy/liberty ramifications of the driverless car.
Holman Jenkins: When Your Car Is Spying on You - WSJ

Once driverless cars become common, gov't will doubtless demand and get the ability to tap into the network, as they have done with cell phones and the internet. They will want to know where you are going and when you are going, for the sake of environmentalism, safety, etc. Then with a little further slide down the slippery slope, they'll want to be able to control when and where you go. Why do you want to drive 3 blocks to the drug store when you live in a walkable community???? Buzzzz---permission denied.

A politician named Ron Sims (now retired) here in the Seattle area pushed for an odometer tax, and Oregon currently has an ongoing pilot project for an odometer tax that has civil libertarians concerned. A driverless car network could put that concept on steroids. Where will this end? A significant segment of modern life--the ability to move when and where we want, could now be gobbled up by the leviathan state.
On NPR they mentioned that by 2040, 70% of cars will be driverless. So the 9% of 2035 seems a bit off especially when some companies will start selling those type of cars in 2019.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
It's an interesting take, and I haven't thought about it.

But gosh I despise driving. I really don't like that an honest mistake can destroy your life if you're driving a car. I hate the time in my life wasted driving a car when I could be reading, online, or playing a game.

My own hope is that Google is working to build chevalines like in a The Diamond Age. Their purchase of the company that makes the Big Dog makes me think is likely. I don't like Google knowing where I am going though which I have thought about because I dislike Google as much as the government, and they are the ones actually building the things.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Yeah, but your obsession with all things "free market" will be assuaged by your insurance rates climbing regardless.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Here's a clue: don't buy a driverless car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies