Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,419,285 times

Advertisements

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...with-5-counts/

A Seattle police dept. officer was suspended without pay after being charged with child molestation of the pre-teen daughter of his girlfriend. Normally any public sector worker accused of a crime would be placed on paid administrative leave, i.e. paid vacation. I have followed this issue in my state for a long time. We've had state troopers accused and eventually convicted of fondling female motorists who went on paid administrative leave. Also troopers who submitted phony diplomas for pay hikes, cops who uttered racial slurs, and principals who had sex with students.

In my private sector union job, I can be terminated for lying, theft, or sexual harassment, on the spot. No paid administrative leave--there is no such thing in my contract.

This case shows where the red line is drawn. If you're in a public sector union you can lie, cheat, steal and harass with no problem. You molest a pre-teen, and you are over the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,108,405 times
I hear about employees being placed on unpaid leave all the time. But if just an accusation is made, why should the employee lose all pay when it might not be true? It gives time to investigate, and if the accusation is true further steps are taken.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I hear about employees being placed on unpaid leave all the time. But if just an accusation is made, why should the employee lose all pay when it might not be true? It gives time to investigate, and if the accusation is true further steps are taken.
so you disagree with this decision? This officer has only been accused of molestation, not yet convicted.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,289,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
SPD officer charged with molestation, suspended without pay | The Today File | Seattle Times

A Seattle police dept. officer was suspended without pay after being charged with child molestation of the pre-teen daughter of his girlfriend. Normally any public sector worker accused of a crime would be placed on paid administrative leave, i.e. paid vacation. I have followed this issue in my state for a long time. We've had state troopers accused and eventually convicted of fondling female motorists who went on paid administrative leave. Also troopers who submitted phony diplomas for pay hikes, cops who uttered racial slurs, and principals who had sex with students.

In my private sector union job, I can be terminated for lying, theft, or sexual harassment, on the spot. No paid administrative leave--there is no such thing in my contract.

This case shows where the red line is drawn. If you're in a public sector union you can lie, cheat, steal and harass with no problem. You molest a pre-teen, and you are over the line.
The chief must have overwhelming evidence of his guilt. Also, this just occurred. Don't be surprised if it gets overturned. Of course, you will never know if that is the case.

Police officers are accused of lying, theft, and all sorts of things all time. MOST of the time its investigated and found to be a false complaint. So, every time an officer gets accused of something, you want them suspended with out pay? What would be the reason to work and do any sort of proactive police work at all, if every other week you are being suspended without pay? How is he/she going to pay the mortgage, buy food, et al?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,975,656 times
cops, and other public sector employees are accused of all kinds of things all the time. the normal course of action is to investigate the complaint before doing anything depending on the severity of the complaint. in this case suspension without pay is warranted given the nature of the accusation.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,108,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
so you disagree with this decision? This officer has only been accused of molestation, not yet convicted.
He has been charged, which indicates more evidence than just an accusation. Apples and oranges. Do you think that every time a drunk accuses an officer of fondling them they should forfeit all pay? It appears that you are just so keen on damning public employees that you can't logically view the reality of 99% of these cases.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
He has been charged, which indicates more evidence than just an accusation. Apples and oranges. Do you think that every time a drunk accuses an officer of fondling them they should forfeit all pay?
No, and please show me where I said or implied such a thing.

Quote:
It appears that you are just so keen on damning public employees that you can't logically view the reality of 99% of these cases.
It indicates no such thing. Prosecutor can get an indictment of a ham sandwich, we all know that, right?

We've had cops around here who were caught on video spewing racial slurs and put on paid administrative leave. We've had cops who were convicted of sexual misconduct and still got a few more weeks of paid leave. This is not a question of evidence. We finally found the line beyond which taxpayers are no longer required to pay ne'er-do-well cops, and it is when they have molested a pre-teen girl. Mischief up to that point means that they can still collect their police salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies