Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 02:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times

Advertisements

How many today even know the names .. Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney?

Quote:
By Kevin “Coach” Collins

Last month for just $15.00, Mississippi’s Black Democrats may have sold out the memory of three murdered Civil Rights workers who died for them – how awful – how disgusting!

It is now fifty years since the murder of 20 year old Andrew Goodman 24 year old Michael Schwerner and James Earl Chaney who was 21. They died at the hands of White Democrat Klu Klux Klansmen in the vicinity of Philadelphia, Mississippi.

(MOD CUT/copyright violation]

What would Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney say? | Coach is Right

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-06-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: show me the permission and I'll put it back and reopen the thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:55 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post

What would they say? I would imagine, considering the context of their time and their deaths, they'd support black people being allowed to vote.

That was easy.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-06-2014 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Democrat vs Republican, Round #765869

And...FIGHT!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:13 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Democrat vs Republican, Round #765869

And...FIGHT!
What's to fight over?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Wow. Now conservatives love Schwerner, Goodman and Chaney.

Where was all this love back in the day?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:42 PM

596 posts, read 730,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post

Any person who has taken it upon themselves to be truly informed about the Civil Rights movement should be aware of the names Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney. And I say "taken it upon themselves to be truly informed" because, unfortunately, the tragic story of these young men is not taught in many history classes in school. I know that I didn't learn about them until I did my own research, as much of the history of civil rights is simply glossed over in most school history books.

As far as the blatant demonization of Democrats in the article, I think this helps to illustrate the importance of people using common sense, logic, and independent thought when deciding who to support politically instead of blindly pledging allegiance to any political party. That's why some of us choose not to affiliate ourselves with any political party, and choose to vote based on the issues instead.

Regardless, the Democratic party of the mid-20th century is not the same as the Democratic party of today. Anyone suggesting otherwise is being intellectually dishonest. Hell, George Wallace was a Democrat, and I don't know of any Democrat today who would agree with his views on race and segregation. Lincoln was a Republican, but today's Republican party is certainly not the party of Lincoln. So you can't just look at a label or name to determine what any given group is about. You have to look at the actual content, the substance, and of course, their actions. So what if back then members of the Democratic party included members of the Klan, racists, segregationists, etc? The question should be is that what they still stand for today?

Ideologies change over time. It would be foolish for anyone to never question a group's intention and purpose over time, political or otherwise. You can't judge a group today based on what members of that group stood for 50 or 60 years ago. One should constantly stay informed, and not be so blindly partisan that they refuse to even contemplate a different party just because they've always associated themselves with a particular label. Educate yourselves on the issues and vote your conscience instead of being more concerned about whether the person has a D or R after his/her name.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-06-2014 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies