Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of people who get pregnant before getting married?
I think less of them- sex before marriage is wrong 16 45.71%
It's OK because it is the 21st Century 15 42.86%
It's OK as long as it was a mistake and they were trying to have children before marriage 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not really A lot of families are remarkable.
I was being sarcastic for the purpose of intentional irony. It's a common literary device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Are you 100% sure about that ??? Sorry, but you can't be.
Going back 4 generations I am sure, both mom and dad's sides of the family. I don't know anything about before that, but anything before 4 generations ago would have been in the 19th Century or earlier, before the welfare state started the out-of-wedlock iindustry, so if it did happen, it wasn't the profitable decision it is today.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back in "my day" if someone got pregnant and then quickly got married people would talk and judge the person poorly. They called it a shot gun wedding.

Yes, I know lots of people are having babies and not even married and having sex before marriage. But in your circle of friends and family is getting pregnant before you get married bad, or just part of life in the 21st Century? Please respond to my poll!
Your poll does not have enough choices, meaning it was meant to lean in a specific direction. As for people having children out of wedlock, it varies by a person situation, something you poll does not take into account, and as for judging others, it is not your Job to judge others, espeically when you do not have all the facts.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Going back 4 generations I am sure, both mom and dad's sides of the family. I don't know anything about before that, but anything before 4 generations ago would have been in the 19th Century or earlier, before the welfare state started the out-of-wedlock iindustry, so if it did happen, it wasn't the profitable decision it is today.
So you can't say your entire family history.

I was the first member of my family in over 6 generations to have a legitimate unmarried child. However, I'm not stupid to assume that there may have been illegitimate children outside of marriages along the way. Or what cousins and off shoots of my family line may or may not have done.

And even if its true that no one has had a child out of wedlock for its entire history as you asserted, it doesn't mean anything. Alexander Hamilton was a illegitimate child. So were many founding fathers.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:39 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And even if its true that no one has had a child out of wedlock for its entire history as you asserted, it doesn't mean anything. Alexander Hamilton was a illegitimate child. So were many founding fathers.
It certainly does mean quite a bit, as it's still on their permanent records over 250 years later.

Define "many founding fathers" and name many of them, please.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
But...but...how will I know if I want to marry him?
I won't buy a car without test-driving it first.
You break it, you bought it.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
You break it, you bought it.
As in paying for the child sure, but marrying the woman if they do not love eachother, dumb move to marry, especially since it would probably end in divorce, which is not good for the child either. You are concerned for the child aren't ya, you would not want to stigmatize the child would you?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:57 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back in "my day" if someone got pregnant and then quickly got married people would talk and judge the person poorly. They called it a shot gun wedding.

Yes, I know lots of people are having babies and not even married and having sex before marriage. But in your circle of friends and family is getting pregnant before you get married bad, or just part of life in the 21st Century? Please respond to my poll!
I didn't respond to the poll because it's a push-poll; there were no responses that reflect my beliefs. In any case, though, wasn't there a song back in the '80s about this? Oh, yeah, that was Billy Idol's "White Wedding." I know that "shot-gun weddings" refer to the idea that the father of the would-be bride might use force to, um, encourage nuptials, but I'm curious about how that term might relate to a "shot-gun" shack, which refers to a cheaply-constructed house with a neatly-aligned front and back door.

While it is true that I took the time to respond to this thread and thus lost some brain cells, I'm sincere in the latter question: in what situations is "shot-gun" an appropriate adjective?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
I'm not voting because I think marriage is no longer expected just because there is a baby.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You said "ENTIRE history" but we'll leave that part, just because it wasn't made known (even within the family) doesn't mean it didn't happen ... Sorry to burst your bubble regarding your perfect family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies