Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:06 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
guess again, alcohol, even the drinking kind, does have medicinal qualities. it is an antiseptic, and a pain killer(well reducer).
The only kind of alcohol that people use for antiseptic purposes in today's world is rubbing alcohol. No doctor is going to disinfect a wound with whiskey.

And as for as a using alcohol as a painkiller? Marijuana is much more effective, offers quicker and longer lasting relief, and is much safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:38 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You don't know how to calculate overhead.
Oh, I think I do.

Quote:
Is his rental space free? The space his grow area takes up has an imputed cost.
He grows in the spare bedroom of the apartment he already lives in (I know, not the brightest but that's a whole other discussion). As he is already paying rent to live, that cost does not attach itself to his grow-op in any way.

Quote:
Electricity alone will be .135 per KWH. A quick Google search indicates that you need between 12 and 18/24 hours of light each day depending on the part of the growing cycle. A 1000 watt light is going to run $80.19 per month at 18 hrs a day and $53.46 per month at 12 hours a day. Just for electricity he is looking at $240.57-$267.30 per harvest.
He lives in an apartment where electricity is included.

Quote:
How much is his time? Free? That is an added cost that needs to be taken into account.
How much is water? Free, or do his plants not need water?
What about seeds?
What about gas to get rid of the evidence?
What about trash bags?
This is clutching at straws. Water is included in his rental agreement. He doesn't need seeds, he clones cuttings from a mother plant (duh). As for requiring "gas" to get rid of the "evidence", he merely bagged it up and dropped in the trash dumpster behind his building at night. Garbage bags don't add much to the $200 or so overhead he had on a $4000/month endeavour.

Quote:
What makes you think that $125 is the free market price and not $28/oz? Why is your friend choosing to grow Cannabis and not Tobacco?
Apparently you don't get the concept of the kind of time, equipment and knowledge required to grow quality smoking tobacco. It's isn't quite as easy as planting seeds and reaping your profits.

Quote:
Right, because it isn't worth their time. You can make your own home brew in far less time than 12 years, but the cartels and such aren't doing that and it's certainly not because they don't like alcohol. Hell, they got started smuggling in alcohol.
Dude, when it comes to whiskey, if you can't drink it straight it isn't worth drinking. Where have you ever heard of a moonshiner that peats his malt and ages the finished product for 12 or so years to make something worth drinking? You don't. That's why illegal hooch was nicknamed "white lightening" as that's pretty much what it tastes like. Who is really going to want to drink that crap?

FTR: You can take 5 gallons of water, add 5 lbs of sugar to it with a pack of yeast, and in two weeks have enough disgusting homebrew to get you quite impaired if you drank it. The question is why nobody outside of prison ever does it. The answer should be pretty obvious.

Quote:
Bwahahaha. This is the funniest thing I've read in a while. People buy alcohol for the effects. Nobody is drinking Budweiser because it tastes good. Wine and some spirits are a little different, but the bars are full of people buying shots and beer for the effects. People buy mixed drinks (usually) because they do not want to taste the alcohol.
Good lord, it is obvious you are a stoner. I'll happily pay $6 a pint for draught Guinness, drink said pint and drive home without worrying about being intoxicated. I know people who do it all the time. They are buying a pint for the taste and social aspect of stopping at the pub to chat with friends. Now, if you were to burn a hoolie on your way home and were still sober enough to drive, you'd be whining you got ripped off.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by Annuvin; 07-11-2014 at 03:01 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why can't we just legalize it?
Well good question. I voted to legalize weed in our state (Washington) because I think people should have the freedom to make their own choices about their lives without the government or anyone else getting involved with it. it's stupid and very wasteful to lock people up for there personal choices.

There were those that voted to legalize weed here for the tax money. I guess I would rather tax weed that throw people in jail for smoking it.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why can't we just legalize it?

Because, that would take all the control away from the masters.

They would have no say so what so ever. They cannot have that.
Then they see a cash cow and you know how greedy politicians are when it comes to money and control.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Once legalized, the state will want to take the sale and distribution of pot away from the small bushiness persons and give it cronies like big pharma. This will ensure the DC crime family will still get its taste a.k.a. tax.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Oh, I think I do.

He grows in the spare bedroom of the apartment he already lives in (I know, not the brightest but that's a whole other discussion). As he is already paying rent to live, that cost does not attach itself to his grow-op in any way.
Yes it does. Instead of your friend renting out the spare room for X dollars he spends money on rent in order to grow. That's called an opportunity cost. By growing he gives up the opportunity to makes money or reduce his expenses by getting a roommate.

Quote:
He lives in an apartment where electricity is included.
He is still paying for electricity. An identical, comparable apartment with no utilities included would have a lower rental price.

Quote:
This is clutching at straws. Water is included in his rental agreement. He doesn't need seeds, he clones cuttings from a mother plant (duh). As for requiring "gas" to get rid of the "evidence", he merely bagged it up and dropped in the trash dumpster behind his building at night. Garbage bags don't add much to the $200 or so overhead he had on a $4000/month endeavor.
I'm not clutching at straws, just trying to prove my point that there is more overhead than simply soil and fertilizer.

Quote:
Apparently you don't get the concept of the kind of time, equipment and knowledge required to grow quality smoking tobacco. It's isn't quite as easy as planting seeds and reaping your profits.
And yet, for as difficult as you claim tobacco is to grow, the market sells an oz for as low as .60 an oz.

Quote:
Dude, when it comes to whiskey, if you can't drink it straight it isn't worth drinking. Where have you ever heard of a moonshiner that peats his malt and ages the finished product for 12 or so years to make something worth drinking? You don't. That's why illegal hooch was nicknamed "white lightening" as that's pretty much what it tastes like. Who is really going to want to drink that crap?
Who is talking about whiskey?

Quote:
FTR: You can take 5 gallons of water, add 5 lbs of sugar to it with a pack of yeast, and in two weeks have enough disgusting homebrew to get you quite impaired if you drank it. The question is why nobody outside of prison ever does it. The answer should be pretty obvious.
Homebrewing is very popular in the mideastern states. Popular enough that people win competitions and go on to start breweries. We had probably around 12 brewing companies start up just in the last couple of years down here in Chicago.

Quote:
Good lord, it is obvious you are a stoner. I'll happily pay $6 a pint for draught Guinness, drink said pint and drive home without worrying about being intoxicated. I know people who do it all the time. They are buying a pint for the taste and social aspect of stopping at the pub to chat with friends. Now, if you were to burn a hoolie on your way home and were still sober enough to drive, you'd be whining you got ripped off.

'Nuff said.
I actually don't, but I'm not willing to spend $40K/yr locking people up for something that is no more dangerous than alcohol and tobacco, has medical benefits, and does not have a documented case of killing anyone.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I actually don't, but I'm not willing to spend $40K/yr locking people up for something that is no more dangerous than alcohol and tobacco, has medical benefits, and does not have a documented case of killing anyone.
So are you telling me that nobody has ever died in a car crash driving stoned, killed somebody while they were stoned, committed suicide while they were stoned? Just a few examples. I say legalize away but that may be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this board. I guess you have access to toxicology reports from all deaths in the country over the years that you've gone through??? lol

Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Because we have not quadrupled the World Record book for FATTEST nation ever to exist on this planet and the munchies would provide this needed boost to help us reach our goals.

The good news is, if we did have a depression and a lack of food supplies we can live off our fat reserves for a couple extra months provided we can access water. Always look on the bright side.

Yes legalize it.. we need more zombied drones walking around America.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:27 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Because we have not quadrupled the World Record book for FATTEST nation ever to exist on this planet and the munchies would provide this needed boost to help us reach our goals.

The good news is, if we did have a depression and a lack of food supplies we can live off our fat reserves for a couple extra months provided we can access water. Always look on the bright side.

Well the hippie wanna bees would all stay home on election day because they would forget about it eating dorito's and playing xbox at least.............yes there is a bright side.

Find water............hell they would use it for their bong instead of drink it..........lol

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So are you telling me that nobody has ever died in a car crash driving stoned, killed somebody while they were stoned, committed suicide while they were stoned? Just a few examples. I say legalize away but that may be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this board. I guess you have access to toxicology reports from all deaths in the country over the years that you've gone through??? lol
Those are good examples of how one using cannabis can be killed, or can kill someone else. However; in terms of deaths from overdose, there isn't record of one. Trust me, as one who does partake in the ol' sticky icky, I understand the risks involved in driving, and therefore will not do so. I'm not about to screw up a good driving record, and insurance rate over legal issues like driving under the influence. Heck, if I crack a beer anymore, I won't leave the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

Luckily, I'm skinny. Always have been, always will be. Furthermore, the zombies are the ones jacked up on Big Pharma crap like Xanax. Let's of course not forget the growing epidemic of abuse of opiates, such as legal pain pills, and heroin their illegal cousin. All 1,000 times worse than cannabis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies