Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So what you are saying is that in order to be an exception to the rule the word exception must be spelled out? That's your argument?
Not mine. The IRS's. Tax code. Read it. Learn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Hmmmm we borrow money because the taxes dont cover all the spending we do, WE still spend it and still nothing gets better. Maybe its who is doing the spending is the problem and how much they are spending.

If the rich pay more will the economy get better? I dont think so. The government will just spend more and of which will only probably go back to the rich people anyway.

What will this do increase the food stamps and government programs and welfare check sizes?

Cut taxes for everyone, reduce spending give the money back to those who have been paying the taxes to let people keep more of what they own. If you going to just keep printing money and debit then you cant cut taxes and or need to figure out where the real problem is. You want to trust your government to take care of you fine seems like money is not a problem when you can print it. ITS not like they don't have the money to DO whatever they want. Remove all federal taxes, replace it with a federal 3% sales tax and budget the government accordingly. What is fair?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

If you invest your money in government debt, you can have a 0% tax rate.

You also get zero returns.
Sign me up...not.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
My employer moved their HQ for this very reason. Pretty soon they will be closing down their factories in the US too.
Accenture is a huge company which has many contracts with the federal government and manages a lot of their IT resources. I have friends who work for the company.

They are based out of Dublin. I wonder why....

Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Hmmmm we borrow money because the taxes dont cover all the spending we do, WE still spend it and still nothing gets better. Maybe its who is doing the spending is the problem and how much they are spending.

If the rich pay more will the economy get better? I dont think so. The government will just spend more and of which will only probably go back to the rich people anyway.

budget the government accordingly.
What is fair?
This is THE problem never addressed. The big pink elephant everyone sees but pays no notice to even though it trips folks up with it's trunk from time to time. They still fail to recognize it.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm watching a documentary on the French Revolution, and it brought up the very well known fact that in the decades before the bloody event the wealthiest nobles were paying virtually nothing while the middle classes and below were paying ridiculously high taxes. In America at the moment, guys like Mitt Romney are paying around 15 percent and guys like me (a very middle class Soldier) and probably you are paying near 30 percent. Come on my Republican brethren, isn't it about time to double the taxes of the wealthiest Americans so we can return to some semblance of economic normalcy?
Another citizen that doesn't understand that the reason Romney paid less is because of the the TYPE of tax he paid, not the fact that he's rich.

You pay the same amount of income tax and capital gains as Romney does. The fact that he has more of his money in capital gains than income is not his problem.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not trying to chop Mitt's head off, and I understand how our tax system works. I think it's time to return to a fairer tax system. In the years leading up to the French Revolution, there were numerous excuses for why the nobles should be excused from certain taxes too. Capital gains is the main source of income for the wealthiest Americans... let's return to Reagan era capital gains tax rates so they can start paying the same percentage of their income in taxes that those far less well off do.
If capital gains tax was increased, millions of retirees would be decimated, because their retirement income is derived from capital gains.

Why do you hate old people?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:46 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
39%. Very close to 1/3 which is 33.33333%

There are always ways to reduce expenses. As I've already noted... get roommates, share housing and utilities expenses, walk/bicycle to work, container garden to grow some of one's own food. Here are a few more... quit smoking (the poor are MUCH more likely to smoke than anyone else), stop buying alcoholic beverages.

http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/032008smoking1.gif

39% is 17% higher than 33% it's not meaningless and 39% of the 47% is a substantial amount of people over 18% of the 10" vs the rest which is 28.67% of the 100

Please look at the eitc limits and tell me what your realistic reductions would be. Single agi is less than 15k well just cut expenses. One kid it's 38k, not like these people are doing well

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If capital gains tax was increased, millions of retirees would be decimated, because their retirement income is derived from capital gains.

Why do you hate old people?

Most people who have retirement savings aren't paying capital gains tax because their investments are in retirement vehicles

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to see a tax system that forced the rich and their heirs to have to work for a living.

I suggest eliminating the cap on taxable income for SS and a cap at twice the individual poverty amount on payments.

I would like to see the Federal Income Tax applicable to all income from all sources with a single exemption at the 85 percentile. That way the people that most benefit from country pay for its maintenance.
As long as we also have a tax system where the welfare folks and their heirs have to work for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies