Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,891,276 times

Advertisements

Reading all these posts from the lefties, one can only conclude they are just to dumb to get it.. No wonder they are poor...!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,658,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You only mention Republicans here..politicians and CEO's.

What about the Democrat politicians and CEO's ?
Are they held blameless ? Are they praised for "working hard" ?
Why aren't you lambasting them for doing the very same thing ?
Because Obama tried to make CEO's pay their fair share of taxes, and the republicans in congress stopped him. The republicans in Washington protect the CEO's low tax rates, just like the republicans in this forum do.

Buffett Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have a middle class US soldier forum member in this thread being punished with a 30% tax rate. But all the republicans here use spin and manipulation to forget about him, and then they come in with a bum rush to protect the CEO's low tax rates.

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 07-11-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,480 times
Who on earth really believes that anybody 'deserves' a Benz?

What kind of nonsense is that???

the fact that Obama & Holder as well as the rest of the Democrats really believe that folks 'deserve' to buy or own a home even if they don't have the income or credit to buy one is equally asinine, and the fact that they tanked our economy and demolished the world's best underwriting standards which had worked impeccably for several decades is irrefutable proof that they're not the party of the middle class and/or the little guy.

Look at Holder's hypocrisy regarding the immigration crisis along our southern border; hypocrisy is a staple of the Democratic Party as well as of the GOP, but at least the GOP doesn't go around and ruin cities and states such as Detroit deliberately in the name of 'fairness'.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,655,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Reading all these posts from the lefties, one can only conclude they are just to dumb to get it.. No wonder they are poor...!!
I'm neither dumb nor poor, Donn. Seeing as you are from Apple Valley (a place I'm very familiar with), I'd be very surprised if you made more money than I do. I'd just like to see the wealthiest people pay the same tax rate I do. That doesn't make me "dumb" -- that makes me sensible.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
French Revolution? You should have read the Chinese, N Korea and Soviet revolution where they got it done right: they got rid of all the rich people and in most cases executed a bunch. Everybody was equal, equally poor.

Please enlighten us how that worked out for them before you advocate taxing the rich again.
France is poor? China is more poor now than it was before the Communist Revolution? The Soviet Union didn't grow the Russian economy? Is the sky also pink? Is fire cold? Water dry? Please educate yourself on basic facts before commenting. Meanwhile, I'd simply like to see us return to Reagan-era tax rates so the wealthiest Americans can pay the same tax rate I do. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,584,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm neither dumb nor poor, Donn. Seeing as you are from Apple Valley (a place I'm very familiar with), I'd be very surprised if you made more money than I do. I'd just like to see the wealthiest people pay the same tax rate I do. That doesn't make me "dumb" -- that makes me sensible.
Do their votes mean more than yours? If not, why should they pay more taxes?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It would be preferable if we could all pay a lot less taxes. "Raise the taxes on the rich" sounds good and all, but in today's world it's a lot more complicated than that. A wealthy person making more than $1 million per year doesn't have to just sit there and take it. They can leave the United States entirely. They can even dump their US citizenship entirely if that's what it takes. And they can still continue to do the same job remotely from anywhere in the world. They can even commute to and from the United States.

The middle class folks like myself get hammered by taxes because we can't afford those sorts of options and we don't have those kinds of jobs. And I'm amazed by all the whining and complaining about Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney's is a retired businessman and his entire income comes from investments and he is simply playing the game by the rules the federal government created in the first place. The US Federal Government uses the tax code like this:

They want to encourage certain behaviors, so they use the tax code like a voodoo doll to try to make things happen. Folks like Mitt Romney and any wealthy person with any brains in their heads plays along. In Romney's case, the game is investments. The government wanted to encourage long-term investments, so Romney went all-in putting the wealth he accumulated before retirement into long-term investments. The reason that Mitt Romney pays less than 15% and other even wealthier folks pay far less than that is because we've got a ridiculously complicated tax code. If you can afford to pay a good enough accountant, they can save you crazy $$$$$$$ on your taxes. And with extra cash to throw around, you can stack the deck even further in your favor. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

This is why we need a simplified tax code. Some version of the fair tax concept would be preferable. I would tweak it a bit though. Double the tax rate for luxury goods such as $1 million homes, $100,000 cars, yachts, $1000+ suits/dresses/outfits, etc. The only way you'll ever get the fair tax concept through congress is if you are doing something to punish the rich for being rich. Doubling the taxes on luxury goods would accomplish exactly that. That is the only reason to add it.
I neither hate the player nor the game. I'd just like to change the rules so that capital gains, the primary source of income for the wealthiest people, was taxed at a higher rate so the wealthiest citizens pay about double the rate they're paying now. I'd like to see the wealthiest paying the same rate as the middle class. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:42 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,658,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
And Berkshire Hathaway paid over 30%. 30 + 15 = 45%

Couldn't say. I know where Buffet makes his money, but Romney is a different animal.

What a load of crap.

1. The is no difference between a CEO and a non CEO to the IRS. There is a difference between different types of income,
2. To be in the 1% club you need to make $380K/yr, not $518K.
3. My dad is a CEO. He is paying much more than 15% and is "punished" by the same taxes your cousin is. The only difference is my dad is able to take advantage of the corporate tax code as well, while your cousin may or may not. PSC's get taxed at a flat 35%.
4. Even when you look at stock options for CEO's they are still paying ordinary income tax rates.
5. Republicans/conservatives have been complaining about the new tax brackets for over a year.

Now you are just going off on tangents and creating strawmen.
Romney is a CEO and he pays taxes on his personal income by capital gains taxes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney#Private_equity

The following source shows how CEO Mitt Romney's personal income comes from capital gains.
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

And why should the CEO's who just sent America's high paying manufacturing jobs to Asia have 14% tax rates, while my cousin who creates jobs in America has a 39% tax rate?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do their votes mean more than yours? If not, why should they pay more taxes?
What you said makes no sense. They should pay the same tax rate I do. Why should I, a middle class Soldier, pay more than the wealthiest citizens? How is that fair?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,401,997 times
no

play the same tax rate as you do, well if you do the same type investments with capital gains you can pay the cheaper tax rate too. it not that they make more money, it the fact they pay less tax and you can do that too. its not how much you make but how much you pay, and those on miimum wages can do the same principals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies