Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,975,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
When capital gains are first cut it causes a (temporary) increase in revenues. But this increase has nothing to do with increased business, a better economy, or economics. Rather low capital gains rates cause people to cash in their capital gains.

Example. If you had capital gains investments and presently there was a 20% tax rate on them, but in 2 months from now the rate would fall to 15%. Would you cash them in now, or wait 2 months till the rate drops?

Capital gains cuts cause people to rush in and cash in their capital gains, and that causes the temporary increase in revenues. But after that first cash in capital gains tax cuts (reduce revenues.)
Policy Points: Experts Agree That Capital Gains Tax Cuts Lose Revenue — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Every sentence that contains the word "experts agree" is a lie. No exceptions.

For one, experts never agree, and two, anyone using that as an argument has already had to use the "appeal to authority" fallacy, which means they have had to resort to fallacy, rather than truth, to make their argument.

And no, capital gains reductions DO NOT reduce revenue over the long term.

Why? Because reductions in cap gains taxes result in more investment / divestment, and capital flow. Anything you tax is decreased in activity. Thus, "rich people" camp on their money without investing it, because the act of investment is punished.

Thus, the economy shrinks, we are starved for risk capital, and overall revenues FALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Because Obama tried to make CEO's pay their fair share of taxes, and the republicans in congress stopped him. The republicans in Washington protect the CEO's low tax rates, just like the republicans in this forum do.

Buffett Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have a middle class US soldier forum member in this thread being punished with a 30% tax rate. But all the republicans here use spin and manipulation to forget about him, and then they come in with a bum rush to protect the CEO's low tax rates.

Chad.
This is 100% a lie.

CEO's are taxed precisely the same as everyone else.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm neither dumb nor poor, Donn. Seeing as you are from Apple Valley (a place I'm very familiar with), I'd be very surprised if you made more money than I do. I'd just like to see the wealthiest people pay the same tax rate I do. That doesn't make me "dumb" -- that makes me sensible.
"I make more money, so I'm more credible".

Wow, what logic. Or, should I say "arrogance".

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Romney is a CEO and he pays taxes on his personal income by capital gains taxes.
Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following source shows how CEO Mitt Romney's personal income comes from capital gains.
Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

And why should the CEO's who just sent America's high paying manufacturing jobs to Asia have 14% tax rates, while my cousin who creates jobs in America has a 39% tax rate?
CEO's are taxed precisely the same as anyone else.

There is no "CEO" tax rate.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,582,163 times
Quote:
That's why we need to make CEO's pay their fair share of taxes.

The "Buffet Rule" which would make CEO's pay 30% tax rates, would generate around $45 billion dollars a year in extra tax revenues. That $45 billion dollars could be used to give Americans paying high tax rates some relief.

Millionaire/billionaire CEO's do not pay 39% tax rates, rather they pay 11%-14% federal tax rates.
The true fair share is everybody pays the exactly same amount. Not paying tax, then should not be allowed to vote.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,187,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The true fair share is everybody pays the exactly same amount. Not paying tax, then should not be allowed to vote.
No, fair is a subjective term. That would be fair only to you. You seem to have fairness and equality confused.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I neither hate the player nor the game. I'd just like to change the rules so that capital gains, the primary source of income for the wealthiest people, was taxed at a higher rate so the wealthiest citizens pay about double the rate they're paying now. I'd like to see the wealthiest paying the same rate as the middle class. I don't think that's unreasonable.
I don't disagree at all. The fact of the matter is, our federal government wants to treat the tax code like a voodoo doll. That means they create tax breaks for an insanely long list of things. There are lower tax rates for doing certain things -- and the list of those things is also insanely long.

Better idea: Scrap all of this "tax breaks for ergonomic toilet seats at truck stops" idiocy. Fair tax means everyone pays taxes no matter what. Adding in a luxury tax for items that only the obscenely wealthy can afford means they pay more taxes. And tax evasion would be virtually impossible. How do you avoid sales tax? Offshore accounts in the Caribbean or Switzerland won't help you there because you only get taxed when you actually spend money.

It may not be the end-all-beat-all solution, but I think it works better for individual taxes. Right now, our tax system is so complex that we have an entire industry (a massive one too) built on trying to make sense out of it all. That creates a world where the wealthiest of Americans will always come out ahead, just as we see with Romney paying about 14% on his estimated $21 million annual income, and doing so 100% legally. Romney is a small fry in that whole game. Bigger players can and do come out paying even lower tax rates.

Like I said, don't hate the player, hate the game. If you hate the game then advocate for changing the game. The current game is stacked against regular middle-class workers because it is insanely complex. So the solution is to make taxes as simple as humanly possible. Ain't rocket science.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,658,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Every sentence that contains the word "experts agree" is a lie. No exceptions.

For one, experts never agree, and two, anyone using that as an argument has already had to use the "appeal to authority" fallacy, which means they have had to resort to fallacy, rather than truth, to make their argument.

And no, capital gains reductions DO NOT reduce revenue over the long term.

Why? Because reductions in cap gains taxes result in more investment / divestment, and capital flow. Anything you tax is decreased in activity. Thus, "rich people" camp on their money without investing it, because the act of investment is punished.

Thus, the economy shrinks, we are starved for risk capital, and overall revenues FALL.
"Experts agree" that smoking causes cancer, "Experts agree" that exercise with a low calorie diet will make you loose weight, and "experts agree" tax cuts do not increase government revenues.

The following Forbes source asked the IGM Forum (America's most respected economists) whether or not tax cuts increased revenues, and all the experts agreed "tax cuts do not increase revenues."
A Tax Cut Won't Increase Revenue - Forbes

And even Gregory Mankiw, who was George W. Bush's chief economist says tax cuts don't increase government revenues. And the rest of GW Bush's economic team says "tax cuts and capital gains cuts do not increase revenues."
Media Myth That Cutting Taxes Boosts Revenue Revived For 2012 | Research | Media Matters for America

And experts also agree that there is -0- evidence that capital gains tax cuts improve the economy.
Tax Cuts Don't Lead to Economic Growth, a New 65-Year Study Finds - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
Raising Today
Low Capital Gains Taxes May Not Help the Economy - Businessweek[/quote]

Old 07-11-2014, 11:27 PM

29,551 posts, read 19,645,273 times
Quote:
That's why we need to make CEO's pay their fair share of taxes.

The "Buffet Rule" which would make CEO's pay 30% tax rates, would generate around $45 billion dollars a year in extra tax revenues. That $45 billion dollars could be used to give Americans paying high tax rates some relief.

Quote:
Rob Portman says Buffett Rule would raise just enough to cover 1 week's interest on national debt
Quote:
Portman’s statement on the amount the Buffett Rule would raise and how that compares to interest on the national debt is accurate.

On the Truth-O-Meter, his claim rates True.
Rob Portman says Buffett Rule would raise just enough to cover 1 week's interest on national debt | PolitiFact Ohio

Quote:
Millionaire/billionaire CEO's do not pay 39% tax rates, rather they pay 11%-14% federal tax rates.

That depends where that income comes from.....

Old 07-11-2014, 11:38 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,658,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I don't disagree at all. The fact of the matter is, our federal government wants to treat the tax code like a voodoo doll. That means they create tax breaks for an insanely long list of things. There are lower tax rates for doing certain things -- and the list of those things is also insanely long.

Better idea: Scrap all of this "tax breaks for ergonomic toilet seats at truck stops" idiocy. Fair tax means everyone pays taxes no matter what. Adding in a luxury tax for items that only the obscenely wealthy can afford means they pay more taxes. And tax evasion would be virtually impossible. How do you avoid sales tax? Offshore accounts in the Caribbean or Switzerland won't help you there because you only get taxed when you actually spend money.

It may not be the end-all-beat-all solution, but I think it works better for individual taxes. Right now, our tax system is so complex that we have an entire industry (a massive one too) built on trying to make sense out of it all. That creates a world where the wealthiest of Americans will always come out ahead, just as we see with Romney paying about 14% on his estimated $21 million annual income, and doing so 100% legally. Romney is a small fry in that whole game. Bigger players can and do come out paying even lower tax rates.

Like I said, don't hate the player, hate the game. If you hate the game then advocate for changing the game. The current game is stacked against regular middle-class workers because it is insanely complex. So the solution is to make taxes as simple as humanly possible. Ain't rocket science.
The Fair Tax/Flat Tax lowers taxes for the rich (and raises taxes for the poor and middle class.)
Flat Tax Will Benefit Only the Rich - US News

The Flat Tax plan was created by corporate think tanks. These think tanks want to abolish the EPA and FDA, because those agencies regulate and fine large corporations. And abolishing the IRS is part of their plan to abolish all agencies that fine and regulate large corporations.

Bachmann's Pledge To Eliminate The EPA Is Fueled By Koch | ThinkProgress
Senator Bernie Sanders Exposes the Terrifying Truth Behind What the Koch Brothers Want For Our Country

The Flat Tax will also greatly decrease government revenues, and create a criminal like tax evasion atmosphere as this Forbes source explains.
Why The Fair Tax Will Fail - Forbes

The above source speaks of a Flat Tax used in Europe that could actually work, but the Europeans system regulates corporations, and I doubt the CEO's who control the republican party would want any part of the EU Flat Tax system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies