Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
The American Cancer Society can have my donation.

Susan G Komen Foundation - not so much
I Will Not Be Pinkwashed: Komen's Race Is For Money, Not Cure | Alternet
You definitely need to research charitable organizations, no question about that. Which is why I will never contribute to United Way, and neither should anyone else. United Way is not a charitable organization. They are merely a clearinghouse for other charitable organizations, and as a middle-man, they eat up a lot of the money that is being donated to the actual charitable organizations.

To get the biggest bang for your buck, people should donate directly to the charitable organization of their choice and avoid middle-man organizations like the United Way.

Last edited by Glitch; 07-14-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The cost of fund raising efforts is indeed very small. I recall, as a kid, going door to door for several blocks in my neighborhood, obtaining pledges for contributions. Since this was for the March of Dimes, they would pledge one dime for every mile I walked (this was also during the 1960s). After the march was over, I would return to those who pledged their support, show them the number of miles I officially walked, and collect their pledge.

All of this was voluntary and did not cost the March of Dimes a penny. The biggest cost to the March of Dimes for organizing the event was advertising, and much of that was also donated.
I remember UNICEF boxes that we carried while trick or treating (1960's) - people gave us pennies along with candy.

That was then - this is now.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
These things are so absurd unless I'm missing something. People pay money for something they can do for free, so that a fraction of that money can go to a cause that they could have just donated the full "fee" they paid for that thing they could have done for free.

That's like me paying to have someone wring a wet cloth into my mouth when I'm sitting next to the river they drenched the cloth in.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
These things are so absurd unless I'm missing something. People pay money for something they can do for free, so that a fraction of that money can go to a cause that they could have just donated the full "fee" they paid for that thing they could have done for free.
Exactly.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I remember UNICEF boxes that we carried while trick or treating (1960's) - people gave us pennies along with candy.

That was then - this is now.
Then, as a kid, I had no money so I could not contribute even if I wanted. All I could do was volunteer my time. Now, I am no longer a kid, and I can and do contribute time, money, and other items, but only to those organizations I choose.

People still contribute to charitable organizations today as they did 50 years ago. The Salvation Army, for example, has not changed in more than 50 years. People still voluntarily contribute old clothes, furniture, or even just pocket change as they enter or leave a grocery store.

I remember when I first arrived in Alaska some 20+ years ago. I had hundreds of pounds of beans, rice, flour, sugar, and salt that I was going to use while living in the bush. However, one thing lead to another and to make a long story short, I ended up living in Anchorage instead of the bush. Since I no longer needed all this bulk food, I donated it to Bean's Cafe in Anchorage, who feeds the homeless or simply those who are hungry.

Or simply spend some time voluntarily helping out an organization. Providing some voluntary IT work to an organization of your choice, for example, is another way of contributing. Money may be the most convenient form of donation, but it is the not only means of donating. Besides, the amount of an individual's contribution is immaterial. Just the fact that they are willing to contribute, in any amount, is enough.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

That's like me paying to have someone wring a wet cloth into my mouth when I'm sitting next to the river they drenched the cloth in.
Really? So are you claiming that you have already developed the cure for cancer and other diseases, or that the cure for cancer and other diseases will magically appear for free?

The last time I saw naivete like the above post was during an Obama rally.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:27 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I don't have a problem with all the "Walk, run" events but was does PO me is that they will shut down major streets to hold them. Let them run around the high school track a hundred times if they need too, but stay off of the neighborhood streets and main thoroughfares. I'm sure they do some good as far as fund raising and it makes the "Do-gooders" feel good about themselves.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I don't have a problem with all the "Walk, run" events but was does PO me is that they will shut down major streets to hold them. Let them run around the high school track a hundred times if they need too, but stay off of the neighborhood streets and main thoroughfares. I'm sure they do some good as far as fund raising and it makes the "Do-gooders" feel good about themselves.
I agree.

We use to hold the March of Dimes event outside of town, walking next to (not on) the roadway. In Anchorage they use the Coastal Trail for charitable walks and runs. It is a trail through a series of greenbelts that runs throughout the city for several miles, under or over roads, and it is prohibited to motorized traffic.

Impeding traffic is a misdemeanor, and should not be allowed.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Exactly.
I've definitely ruffled some 5Kers feathers by making that point in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Really? So are you claiming that you have already developed the cure for cancer and other diseases, or that the cure for cancer and other diseases will magically appear for free?

The last time I saw naivete like the above post was during an Obama rally.
How you got that from what I wrote is beyond me. For what it's worth, I'm sorry that you're one of those that got suckered into paying a $50 fee to run a course you can run for free anytime you want, so that $5 from that fee can be donated to the cause you "support."

The way I see it, if you really cared about the cause, you'd prefer that your entire $50 fee went towards cancer research and not the advertising and planning that goes into hosting a 5k power walk for cancer. Or maybe you just really like the T-shirt, in which case, just print one that says "Glitch's 5K pat-on-the-back-athon that shows I hate cancer" and donate the rest to your cause.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
We know you Conservatives hate public funding, now you're against charity??
Nearly anybody can afford to give $50 to a "good cause", right?
Have you ever sat down and added up what it would cost you to give $50 to EACH AND EVERY ONE of the "good causes" that solicit money from you every year?
Try it, I imagine it will startle you!
Most people don't even realize how many of those solicitations they get per year. I discovered I get 3 or 4 per month when I started keeping track!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies