Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,739,577 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it's always a problem in the private sector. i work with a lot of well paid people and few of them really have anything backed up. The IT departments in most companies are pretty strapped and not that pro-active.

Perhaps since you guys are whining so much about this you could get some data on how common this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,525,470 times
^ bs

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Honestly, it's always a problem in the private sector. i work with a lot of well paid people and few of them really have anything backed up. The IT departments in most companies are pretty strapped and not that pro-active.

Perhaps since you guys are whining so much about this you could get some data on how common this is.
This isn't "most companies".

This is the government, and the idea that they "lost" the emails on her personal computer is insultingly stupid.

No such thing happened, and it's a charade of the most heinous kind.

1. The emails reside on the server, tossing her pc into a nuclear explosion has no effect on that.
2. The rules absolutely require archiving ALL documents, period. Any complaint about "lack of funds" simply means the IRS deliberately chose to violate the rules and those making the argument are attempting to deflect guilt. Any agency tasked with enforcing rules who fails to obey the rules should be disbanded, or at least every person in levels above the lowest pay grade immediately removed and those who made the decisions proactively be prosecuted criminally.
3. The emails are NOT lost. They were on their servers, and the backup server to the main server, and on the archiving backup they have. Even if they stopped paying offsite back, they STILL have in-house archiving. (if they don't exist now, it is because they, in violation of law and rule deliberately set about to do so)

Anyone defending the IRS is actually defending criminality AND is defending the worst kind of abuse government can engage in - the invisible partisan war against the people.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,207,874 times
Quote:

I have been in IT since the early 1980s. Small, immature companies that don't have important data, are more likely to not have backups in place. The IRS, as an agency that has stored and processed critical documents from the time when general purpose computers were invented, can be reasonably expected to have standard IT procedures including backups in place.

The IRS is a long standing buyer of enterprise computing from companies like IBM (that is fact). They know how to protect their data. Shouldn't be much different for the FEC.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:38 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times
Actually the IRS has always been tech-challenged. Here's a story from 1997

Major Overhaul Proposed For Irs Billions Spent To Modernize, But 'Intellectual Capital' Lacking - Spokesman.com - Feb. 1, 1997

Quote:
The IRS has killed one new imaging system that did not work, after spending $284 million, and may cancel 12 more contracts.
“We have failure on our hands with tax system modernization,” [Sen. Bob] Kerrey said in an interview...

The IRS had publicly defended its management of computer modernization until Thursday, when Arthur A. Gross, who was hired last year as an assistant commissioner of the agency to rescue the effort, told the commission that the new systems “do not work in the real world.”
Gross also said the IRS lacked the “intellectual capital” to modernize.

There have been similar stories about other federal agencies.
FBI grapples with out-of-date computers - CNET News

It turns out that the best and brightest of DC (now the wealthiest region in the land) are more like dumb and dumber.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,033,934 times
Quote:

What "private sector" do you work for? Everything is backed up. It has to be in case of law suits etc. You along with your heroes at the IRS are full of poop. It is not "common". Maybe a small business but you work at a big corp like oh I don't know say the USofA you back your crap up. They are liars.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 AM

45,254 posts, read 26,502,350 times
All the agencies just need more of our money so that they can operate more competently at stealing our wealth.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,033,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have been in IT since the early 1980s. Small, immature companies that don't have important data, are more likely to not have backups in place. The IRS, as an agency that has stored and processed critical documents from the time when general purpose computers were invented, can be reasonably expected to have standard IT procedures including backups in place.

The IRS is a long standing buyer of enterprise computing from companies like IBM (that is fact). They know how to protect their data. Shouldn't be much different for the FEC.
I'm sure the IRS could find an email from me telling em to shove their taxes from three years ago if need be. It is all BS. They are liars and an insult to the IT folks who work there IMO.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 AM

26,561 posts, read 15,127,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I just don't think liberals comprehend how bad it's going to be in November.
I think you are sadly mistaken.

As evidence by the lack of liberal posts on this thread - liberals are A-Okay with Obama Administration corruption.

Furthermore, Obama won 70% of the high school drop out vote and the mainstream media hasn't picked this up - so liberals know there is a lot of ignorance out there as to just how corrupt Obama's Administration is.

Obama is the president Nixon wished he could be.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:

Certainly hard drive failures will be common, any hard drive is going to fail at some point in time. You know this so you take precautions to insure data integrity.

"Sorry Mr. IRS supervisor, that project I was working on for the past month was lost in a hard drive crash.....", that would go over well.

Lost or unrecoverable data is rare occurrence especially when you have forensics lab that tried to recover it. The story being given about Lerner's drive is completely unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies