Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
My point is that the growth of the legal Hispanic population is such that in 20 or 30 years whites will no longer be a majority, regardless of what happens with illegals. Whites will remain a plurality, but will no longer represent a majority.

As for politicians, it is long past time to adapt to the 21st century, or go the way of other dinosaurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Yep. Remember how that Civil War thingy turned out. North had the natural resources, population and industrial capacity. The South had less of everything, except arrogance. It didn't work out too well.
Au contraire..it worked out well....but only for the North. Ask Sherman.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The primary issue has still not been resolved: The 10th Amendment reserves to the states the right to decide issues not addressed in the US Constitution. Such issues include things like marijuana use and same sex marriage. In contrast, a state law on gun magazine capacity is un-constitutional because the right to keep and bear arms without infringement is written into the Constitution.

Yes, that part of the Civil War continues to this day. We have a Constitution or we do not.
Marriage is an interstate law. When two people get married in one state, there marriage is valid in every state. Having states say a marriage isn't valid in their state even though the couple were married legally In the US violates their rights as a married couple.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 AM

800 posts, read 781,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No thanks to balkanization of our country. What you are advocating for is non-communication between the people in our society. Why should I learn Spanish when we are told that Hispanics are assimilating in our country? Don't we already have our national de facto language of English to communicate with them in? Since when is it the obligation of the host country to learn foreigner's languages anyway? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Are they too lazy to learn our language? Anymore of these veiled insults towards me will not be tolerated either.
Learning languages=non-communication? Well I suppose I learn something new everyday. Yes the Spanish speakers should learn English too, obviously.

The majority of the countries around us speak Spanish. That's reason enough to learn it. My family is European and most people I know speak at least 3 languages, not to accommodate other people, but because they recognize the use of it. So given every country near us except Canada speaks Spanish, well, there you go.

Secondly, de facto does not mean de jure. Your point is moot. I'm a millenial, most people I know took at least two years of Spanish in high school. Everyone I know uses Spanish lingo in their speech regularly (Gracias, Denada, etc) and this is in the lower Midwest. Many studied abroad too. A night out on the town I will bet I hear at least 3 languages.

This is the new America, Old Glory. And despite your ranting and ravings you can't do anything to stop it. The game's over. The country is too diverse to go back to your grotesquely stepfordesque lilly white fantasy of America. The party you support, so long as it envelops itself in a bitter cloak of homophobia and xenophobia will continue to lose elections by bigger and bigger margins. Within 50 years the supreme court will be liberal. Reforms already started in states like Florida to end GOP gerrymandering will cause Republicans to lose control of the house. Soccer will continue its meteoric rise to prominence (Baseball and Football participation numbers among American youth are rapidly dwindling. MLB TV ratings are free falling according to CNN). The only place your cherished version of America will live on is in the South, a region who's political influence will be rapidly diminished as Texas turns blue and the Midwest, East, and West unite against it.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
So given every country near us except Canada speaks Spanish, well, there you go.
Since there are only TWO countries we border, I presume you mean "every country" in our hemisphere.
What an insult to Portuguese speaking BRAZIL.
And the French speakers of Quebec (and Louisiana).
Of course, one must consider the indigenous people's languages that were overshadowed by the Conquistadores, too.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:

This is the new America, Old Glory. And despite your ranting and ravings you can't do anything to stop it. The game's over. The country is too diverse to go back to your grotesquely stepfordesque lilly white fantasy of America. The party you support, so long as it envelops itself in a bitter cloak of homophobia and xenophobia will continue to lose elections by bigger and bigger margins.
Bingo, those that fail to adapt to the 21st century will simply be bitter and powerless until their dying day.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Learning languages=non-communication? Well I suppose I learn something new everyday. Yes the Spanish speakers should learn English too, obviously.

The majority of the countries around us speak Spanish. That's reason enough to learn it. My family is European and most people I know speak at least 3 languages, not to accommodate other people, but because they recognize the use of it. So given every country near us except Canada speaks Spanish, well, there you go.

Secondly, de facto does not mean de jure. Your point is moot. I'm a millenial, most people I know took at least two years of Spanish in high school. Everyone I know uses Spanish lingo in their speech regularly (Gracias, Denada, etc) and this is in the lower Midwest. Many studied abroad too. A night out on the town I will bet I hear at least 3 languages.

This is the new America, Old Glory. And despite your ranting and ravings you can't do anything to stop it. The game's over. The country is too diverse to go back to your grotesquely stepfordesque lilly white fantasy of America. The party you support, so long as it envelops itself in a bitter cloak of homophobia and xenophobia will continue to lose elections by bigger and bigger margins. Within 50 years the supreme court will be liberal. Reforms already started in states like Florida to end GOP gerrymandering will cause Republicans to lose control of the house. Soccer will continue its meteoric rise to prominence (Baseball and Football participation numbers among American youth are rapidly dwindling. MLB TV ratings are free falling according to CNN). The only place your cherished version of America will live on is in the South, a region who's political influence will be rapidly diminished as Texas turns blue and the Midwest, East, and West unite against it.
You rail against Old Glory while appearing to be quite the little bigot yourself.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Since there are only TWO countries we border, I presume you mean "every country" in our hemisphere.
What an insult to Portuguese speaking BRAZIL.
And the French speakers of Quebec (and Louisiana).
Of course, one must consider the indigenous people's languages that were overshadowed by the Conquistadores, too.
Oh please lambasting me on semantics rather than the actual basis of my arguments.

I speak with some competence of the two languages you seemed so angry that I omitted. It also seems you are forgetting many of the Caribbean states we may not share a direct, land border with, but an ocean one.

Spanish is more important than French or Portuguese in North America. PERIOD. Go to Miami, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, or California to see for yourself. Yes, should Americans learn French, absolutely. Should the learn Portuguese, why not! We have a severe lack of cosmopolitan intellectualism in certain parts of this country and I'd like to thank you for being so kind as to point it out

And yes I do know about indigenous languages (Most of which are now Spanish hybrids) such as Mam in Chiapas and Guatemala.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Oh please lambasting me on semantics rather than the actual basis of my arguments.

I speak with some competence of the two languages you seemed so angry that I omitted. It also seems you are forgetting many of the Caribbean states we may not share a direct, land border with, but an ocean one.

Spanish is more important than French or Portuguese in North America. PERIOD. Go to Miami, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, or California to see for yourself. Yes, should Americans learn French, absolutely. Should the learn Portuguese, why not! We have a severe lack of cosmopolitan intellectualism in certain parts of this country and I'd like to thank you for being so kind as to point it out

And yes I do know about indigenous languages (Most of which are now Spanish hybrids) such as Mam in Chiapas and Guatemala.
There's a lot of knuckle draggers who don't even speak English very well.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
You rail against Old Glory while appearing to be quite the little bigot yourself.
I rather curious at how my ability to use real data to forecast societal and political trends makes me a bigot.

Please do explain.

As I have said repeatedly, I do not care what people or say or do in their lives. Until they infringe upon others right to do the same.

Being outspoken against intolerance is not being a bigot. Was Gandhi a bigot? MLK Jr. (or Martin Luther King in Germany for that matter)? The Colonists who spoke out against a tyrannical king? Nelson Mandela? All those around the world who fought against the chains of inequality?

I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies