Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Given that a lot of middle income and working Americans have been taking a hit in the wallet since 2007, should employers be able to demand credit info access during the hiring process?
I don't understand the question. What does the declining median income have to do with employers asking for credit info during the hiring process? I don't see a connection there.
Quote:
With educational costs sky high, cost of groceries, rents up is this a fair deal for anyone but the employers?
Who else is there to be fair to but the employers? You are again making no sense. Rents are higher so therefore it isn't fair to job applicants for employers to request credit ratings? What does one have to do with the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't understand the question. What does the declining median income have to do with employers asking for credit info during the hiring process? I don't see a connection there.

Who else is there to be fair to but the employers? You are again making no sense. Rents are higher so therefore it isn't fair to job applicants for employers to request credit ratings? What does one have to do with the other?
Well like I said with the Great Recession of 2007/8 a lot of people took a hit in the wallet and the job market has been sluggish.

Add on top of that rising costs of college education, food, rents etc, people can at times be forced into going further into debt.

A medical family emergency by itself can jack up somebody's credit.

Why should employer's demand access to this information?

I understand why some would want criminal background checks but if the cat already has the work and educational qualifications and their criminal record is clean, why should employers know the credit history?

Old 01-15-2015, 01:45 PM

This tidbit from George Carlin goes very well with the theme of this thread.

"They've got you by the balls - George Carlin"

Old 01-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Its unfortunate that many are calling for free speech and open debate, yet this is one subject that still remains very secretive.

No matter where you fall on the political spectrum, fellow middle income and working Americans, methinks this is still a topic worthy of public debate and discussion.

Quote:
The corporate media is reporting that since the Republican leadership and President Obama support Fast Track trade authority, it is a done deal. And that message, also heard by countries negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), is driving the race to finalize that agreement.

The truth is: Fast Track is not a done deal. There is bi-partisan opposition in Congress and a large movement of movements organized to stop it.

Conservatives, like progressives, want the trade agreements to be considered under regular order, which would allow for unlimited debate and amendments.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Its unfortunate that many are calling for free speech and open debate, yet this is one subject that still remains very secretive.

No matter where you fall on the political spectrum, fellow middle income and working Americans, methinks this is still a topic worthy of public debate and discussion.
More info about movements from the American public, well wanting the gubbermint to be a bit more public about some of its trade deals.

"Since the President’s State of the Union message where he announced his plan to push corporate trade agreements and seek Fast Track trade promotion authority, the movement against Fast Track, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and globalized trade has grown. "

Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 PM

I just wanted to thank you fellow middle income and working Americans for all the rights and opportunities I have in these challenging times.

I might not publicly mention it much, but I am well aware of the sacrifices and struggles of the movements from the 50's-70's up to today, that have helped make the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness more than just a slogan.

So kudos to you fellow commoners, peasants and proleteriates.

I also would like to recommend checking out this film series if you haven't already.

1st installment of the Hunger Games.

Last edited by kovert; 02-09-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 PM

Again, not making any arguments for or against any trade deal, but felt this is an interesting article from Ellie Brown about public banking and other topics.

"To truly eliminate unfair competition, the giant monopolistic multinational corporations should be broken up, since they have an obvious unfair trade advantage over small farmers and small businesses. But that outcome is liable to be long in coming."

Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Back in 1996 , a piece of feel good legislation was passed to pretend to reform welfare and welfare and require able bodied recipients to be employed at least 20 hours a week.

Right from the start, states started asking for all sorts of exemptions and federal funding to do what was necessary to be held accountable.

Over time, about 25% of welfare recipients became employed. According to The CATO Institute, about 80% of the jobs were and continue to be funded by federal, state, county and municipal money. This NY thing is an example of such funding.

States, counties and municipal governments compete for business and use tax credits, roads and infrastructure concessions to lure new business away from the competition.

Not much happens anywhere without some level of government goosing.

Did working 20 hours a week make welfare recipients better off or worse off?

I once had to fill out a form for a temp agency - at the time, the agency qualified for a Work Opportunity Tax Credit if they hired a food stamp recipient not older than 39. Why a 39-year-old qualified and a 40-year-old did not was a mystery.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Again just want to thank you hard working, fellow middle income and working Americans for all the rights and opportunities many enjoy and sometimes take for granted in this country.

The American middle class is a very proud and strong middle class.

You have your faults as we all do and despite ally your contradictions and conflictions, it may be tough to live with you but looking around the globe today, I wouldn't want to live in many of the places without you.

Some may stereotype you as being gun totting, angry Americans, but quite frankly those guns are probably a big part of deterring a certain fate.

Hunger Games:Catching Fire.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM

Interesting discussion from Libertarian leaning Alex Jones and Green Party member Cynthia McKinney.

Since many middle income and working Americans are declaring themselves Independents and Moderates, they might be interested what those from 3rd parties have to say on issues.

Cynthia McKinney: How I Became Pro 2nd Amendment

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies