Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:26 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So you want to claim that privacy is not a right in a thread about privacy, but refuse to state why, and lamely give the reason because you don't think the question is relevant to the thread?

Got it.

Everyone else can see how you are evading the question.
Different topic, different thread.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

Thanks.
Nope - the topic is privacy, and this is the proper thread.

Anytime you want to stop digging the hole...

Quote:
we don't have a RIGHT to privacy.
It is really a simple question.

Why do you think that there is no right to privacy?

Last edited by Harrier; 07-19-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Nope - the topic is privacy, and this is the proper thread.

Anytime you want to stop digging the hole...

Thanks.

Quote:
It is really a simple question.

I've already explained why there isn't a right to privacy. Just read my previous posts.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Wrong - this is the proper topic and the proper thread.

You are the one who said that there is no right to privacy - in this thread - which is about privacy.

Quote:
we don't have a RIGHT to privacy.
Please answer the question.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Again, we're protected from unreasonable search and seizures; however, companies can buy information about us from other companies. How else do you think telecommunication companies get our phone number and junk mail gets sent to us? Not to mention the ads on Facebook (if you possess one) are skewed towards your likes and interests based off your posts and other search criteria.

Americans do NOT have a right to privacy. They have an entitlement to it, sure, but the literal right to privacy (to have every aspect of our lives be private) does not exist.
Thats because you have agreed to let them sell your information, but because the government says they have a right to sell it, they have your consent.

this is why you should read your terms of service, this is why you shouldnt just download random apps to your phone.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats because you have agreed to let them sell your information, but because the government says they have a right to sell it, they have your consent.

this is why you should read your terms of service, this is why you shouldnt just download random apps to your phone.
Well yeah. I'm not arguing that. Still the fact remains we don't have a right to privacy.

Obviously, a squad of policemen can't just break into my apartment for whatever reason. That's taken care of by the 4th Amendment.

If someone wants to go through my trash, search up my history on the internet,etc then they can. That's not protected.

Again, Americans have this sense of entitlement when it comes to privacy, but we don't have a right to it.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:44 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
There is no general right of privacy under the Constitution; but rather by decisions of the Supreme Court. The Fourth Amendment, standing alone, only provides protection against unreasonable searches and seizures that is narrowly circumscribed, and does not extend to a general constitutional right of privacy.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Well yeah. I'm not arguing that. Still the fact remains we don't have a right to privacy.

Obviously, a squad of policemen can't just break into my apartment for whatever reason. That's taken care of by the 4th Amendment.

If someone wants to go through my trash, search up my history on the internet,etc then they can. That's not protected.

Again, Americans have this sense of entitlement when it comes to privacy, but we don't have a right to it.
Well, now you are being more detailed, yet earlier you claimed that the reason why you think that there is no right to privacy was a "different topic", and for a "different thread".

You are just full of contradictions.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Well, now you are being more detailed, yet earlier you claimed that the reason why you think that there is no right to privacy was a "different topic", and for a "different thread".

You are just full of contradictions.
No. I said that because you brought in a case that was about abortion that wasn't relevant to this thread. You continued to ask me a question not relevant to the thread which is why I kept replying with "different topic, different thread". See it doesn't work when you have no ground to stand on, boy.

The only contradiction here is you stating you wish to be a lawyer yet can't handle a simple debate on an internet forum without referring to your Harrier Deflection Technique or attacking someone's military service.

By the way...what does this have to do with Obama or the supposed right to privacy?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
There is no general right of privacy under the Constitution; but rather by decisions of the Supreme Court. The Fourth Amendment, standing alone, only provides protection against unreasonable searches and seizures that is narrowly circumscribed, and does not extend to a general constitutional right of privacy.
This is what I've been trying to say. Granted I didn't word like you have, but this pretty much explains what I've been driving at.

Thank you for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies