Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM

893 posts, read 886,268 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are lots of ideas out there and many have been even been tried but I think there is one sure way to get their attention and force them to start treating our tax dollars like they would their own money.

I believe if we required all Americans to write a check each month to the Gov't to pay their taxes things would change. AND FAST.

Example #1.

Instead of allowing your income taxes to be withheld by your employer each pay check before you even "see" it, the individual must now be responsible for sending their taxes to the gov't.

Example #2

No more allowing property taxes to be escrowed on mortgages. You must now write the check directly each month.

This way taxes and how much you actually pay will be front and center instead of "hidden" or out of sight, out of mind.

Imagine the difference in how politicians run for office and how they govern? Imagine the difference in our citizens outlook on money wasted.

------

Disregard the obvious rebuttal about logistics and the difficulty in collecting. Obviously that would be a barrier that would be very complex and difficult but the concept is sound in my opinion. We have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,946 times
You must have a lot of time on your hands to want to do all of this. Those of us who have real jobs and are actually busy are more than happy to have someone do this. People do their taxes and they see how much they pay.

In terms of your worry about government spending, feel free to analyze the budget and put forward any real proposal on things that can actually be cut and of those the cuts that would actually get passed by anyone. We pay too little tax in this country. not too much.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
You must have a lot of time on your hands to want to do all of this. Those of us who have real jobs and are actually busy are more than happy to have someone do this. People do their taxes and they see how much they pay.

In terms of your worry about government spending, feel free to analyze the budget and put forward any real proposal on things that can actually be cut and of those the cuts that would actually get passed by anyone. We pay too little tax in this country. not too much.
The anti-tax nuts just can't fathom that I look at my taxes, shake my head a bit...and then move on WITH MY LIFE. How can I not be as OUTRAGED and INSANELY ANGRY about it as they are? Because I have a life, and my mental state has developed past that of an angry 15 year old boy.

I don't build a bunker, buy an arsenal, and plan for the muslim Obama-naut to come and get me and my $30G I made from scrapping and working at the hardware store, which is apparenlty what most fo the anti-tax/gun nuts here do.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
sorry to say but there is no interest whatsoever by the powers to be to 'fix' the tax laws...i'm with dman on this one

Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I'm sure there are lots of ideas out there and many have been even been tried but I think there is one sure way to get their attention and force them to start treating our tax dollars like they would their own money.

I believe if we required all Americans to write a check each month to the Gov't to pay their taxes things would change. AND FAST.

Example #1.

Instead of allowing your income taxes to be withheld by your employer each pay check before you even "see" it, the individual must now be responsible for sending their taxes to the gov't.

Example #2

No more allowing property taxes to be escrowed on mortgages. You must now write the check directly each month.

This way taxes and how much you actually pay will be front and center instead of "hidden" or out of sight, out of mind.

Imagine the difference in how politicians run for office and how they govern? Imagine the difference in our citizens outlook on money wasted.

------

Disregard the obvious rebuttal about logistics and the difficulty in collecting. Obviously that would be a barrier that would be very complex and difficult but the concept is sound in my opinion. We have to start somewhere.
And watch the broke dysfunctional nation get invaded. Smart idea.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,946 times
I'm rather curious as to whether anyone has asked the OP how he would do anything IRL

Old 07-22-2014, 10:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I basically do those things now. I have to pay quarterly income tax because part of my income comes with no taxes taken out, and I've never escrowed my property tax and just write a check twice a year.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Make Election Day April 16th

Old 07-22-2014, 03:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
There would be no change for me with the OP's plan.

I file once a year.

Pay property taxes twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies