Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times

Advertisements

Maybe he thought you were from bean town

Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'd love to grab a beer with ya. Let me know when your out here...
Will do. Could be fun!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Hmmm, interesting. I'm from NJ and was visiting Kansas City a couple years ago. My husband and I got on a public bus and a stop later a Latino woman, in a yellow blouse, got on. She spoke to the driver in only Spanish. He had no idea what she was asking him, thought he tried to understand. She took a seat. A few stops later, another woman who looked Latino got on the bus. The bus driver said to her, "Miss, do you speak Spanish?" She told him that she did. He asked her if she would ask the lady in the yellow blouse what she needed to ask. She did, and it was all worked out.

I remember saying to my husband, "Boy, if that was in NJ nobody would give a rats ass and that poor woman would be ending up in the bus depot in at the end of the night."

So to be honest, we liked visiting Missouri because we felt a total lack of racism as opposed to what we tend to see here at home. Just my two cents.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM

65 posts, read 153,743 times
I really love these threads. I personally haven't in my adult life found racism in Missouri, I've even been to places where I was told to stay away from, and I had No problem. Surprisingly, I have found racism in New Mexico, on more than five occasions. And there you would be surprised who the racists are. White people in Missouri are nice and accepting.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:54 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I was always put down for being Cajun,White in right parts of KC.My daughter was run out of Latham for being Iranian. I had a woman with me from Witchta, Kansas this last weekend and she was very free with the N word. Have been told many times in SW Missouri that if certain people moved in they would be burnt out.

brushrunner

Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai4605217 View Post
I really love these threads. I personally haven't in my adult life found racism in Missouri, I've even been to places where I was told to stay away from, and I had No problem. Surprisingly, I have found racism in New Mexico, on more than five occasions. And there you would be surprised who the racists are. White people in Missouri are nice and accepting.
Who are the racist in New Mexico?

I know Native Americans can be racist. I've experienced that in Oklahoma. Not toward me, but a black friend.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Who are the racist in New Mexico?

I know Native Americans can be racist. I've experienced that in Oklahoma. Not toward me, but a black friend.
Native Americans, mostly. Hispanics can be.
Only place I've lived where racism was directed at me on any kind of large scale. I was young. It was eye-opening. It didn't feel good. I never gave race much thought before that, but afterwords I was determined not to be racist. Not just because it felt bad, but also being exposed to different ethnic backgrounds made me realize that we're not as different as we try to make it sound sometimes.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai4605217 View Post
I would not be surprised because I lived in NM for a while and the racists are the Hispanics.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 AM

111 posts, read 181,327 times
Racism is treating someone badly, because of their Race...I don't care what someone is THINKING, actions are all that matter. By these standards, there is very little racism in America..

Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
There is racism everywhere. Some places are more open with it than others but is is everywhere.

If you don't like racism try to move to an area that is racially diverse that is growing. That will probably give you a good experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies