Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 07:32 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,964,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Most Blacks don't even use welfare. Again, if all anyone does is reduce Blacks to the issue of welfare, of course Blacks aren't going to vote for that party. Why vote for someone who is going to assume all you want is welfare?
Most of the people who favor the welfare state do not collect welfare. The fact is blacks generally support Democrats on economic issues which is basically the expansion of the welfare state. They are not just voting Democrat because they believe Republicans are racist. On many social issues blacks actually tend to be more conservative than whites.

Nearly everyone who votes Democrat favors the expansion of the welfare state. That includes blacks who vote Democrat.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 AM

29,639 posts, read 16,681,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it isn't. Atlanta was just given as an example. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us...pagewanted=all

It's a demographic fact. Younger and more educated Blacks are fleeing blue states, deliberately choosing to move to red states in search of "better opportunities," and are even deliberately choosing to move to places where only a tiny fraction of the population is Black.
I seriously believe you get paid to post links as you post them in every post, even if you have already posted that link in this thread and specifically on this very page and ive quoted it myself.

Further more, you are discrediting your own argument, the article is clearly talking about migration all over the country, not just the South. it even talks about people moving to suburbs and out of cities.

And As i showed in the Population chart, people in general are moving to population centers in the South.

Atlanta was already the 11th largest metro in the nation in 2000 which was 14 years ago. Houston was 10, Dallas was 9, Miami was 12.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 AM

29,639 posts, read 16,681,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Most of the people who favor the welfare state do not collect welfare. The fact is blacks generally support Democrats on economic issues which is basically the expansion of the welfare state. They are not just voting Democrat because they believe Republicans are racist. On many social issues blacks actually tend to be more conservative than whites.

Nearly everyone who votes Democrat favors the expansion of the welfare state. That includes blacks who vote Democrat.
There you go mixing up personal ideology with Public governance.

You dont have to think something is ok to understand that it should be legal.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:54 AM

73,231 posts, read 63,096,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Prove this with statistics. Show me where the majority of Blacks support this. I've never seen most Blacks even mention this.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 AM

12,986 posts, read 13,777,640 times
Why do Republican politicians want black people to vote for them before they agree to do something for them? Why can't they simply overtake that vote with policies that make welfare seem insignificant to poor people?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM

28,750 posts, read 19,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
To some extent I see your point. No demographic is irrelevant. That's absurd! But since blacks vote Dem 99.9% of the time even when the Dems are not doing a damn thing for them, that does make a difference. Rather than encouraging the Republicans to compete for their vote,
I suppose that sentence made sense to you when you wrote it, but exactly how and why would someone "encourage" a politician to seek his vote? Don't politicians generally want as many votes as they can get? That's like a salesman expecting sales prospects to encourage him to give them a sales pitch; such a salesman would rightly go broke.

Quote:
they just vote D every time. Since the GOP has absolutely no reason to give a crap about blacks, they probably won't. And the Dems don't have to try very hard to keep the black vote, so they will continue to not try very hard. So while no demographic is irrelevant, I do see your point. Blacks have made their vote vastly less powerful than it otherwise could be.
This is the question Republicans have to ask themselves: What did they do that lost the Latino vote? What did they do that lost the Asian vote? Why can't they depend on the Independent vote--what do they do that runs away Independents from time to time?

Yes, the Democrats can count on the black vote...but it they can also snag the other groups pretty regularly.

But you can't just point a finger at blacks and ignore the fact that Republicans can't count on any vote but old religious white people. The common denominator there is the Republican Party.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:26 AM

28,750 posts, read 19,001,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There you go mixing up personal ideology with Public governance.

You dont have to think something is ok to understand that it should be legal.
Or at least not illegal. The problem with making things illegal is that if it's illegal, you have to sent the sheriff to arrest them, and prosecute them, and put them into prison. If you're not going to do all that, then don't make it illegal.

Like a great many blacks, I'm Christian. Like a great many Christians, I believe that homosexual activity and abortion are sins for Christians. I also believe that desiring a divorce is a sin for Christians. There are lots and lots of things I believe are sins for Christians.

Yet, I'm opposed to laws that would them illegal for the sole reason that they are sins for Christians. The biggest reason is because I've read enough history to know that if the government gets into that habit, sooner or later it's going to come back to bite me:

Today we go after the homosexuals. Tomorrow we go after the atheists. By Wednesday we're going after women who get abortions, and by Friday it's the Catholics, because they sprinkle instead of immerse. By next week, it's black people--again--because blacks don't have souls anyway.

Blacks who remember out past do not favor putting the tools of legal oppression into the hand of the government against others. So we can preach against abortion and yet disavow laws that would send young women to prison.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,325,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Further more, you are discrediting your own argument, the article is clearly talking about migration all over the country, not just the South.
Apparently, you can't read.
Quote:
"The share of black population growth that has occurred in the South over the past decade — the highest since 1910, before the Great Migration of blacks to the North — has upended some long-held assumptions...

"This is the decade of black flight," said Mr. Frey. "It’s a new age for African-Americans. It’s long overdue, but it seems to be happening."

"...younger and more educated black residents move out of declining cities in the Northeast and Midwest in search of better opportunities.

...Increasingly blacks are moving to places with small black populations. Just 2 percent of the black population growth in the last decade occurred in counties that have traditionally been black population centers, while 20 percent has occurred in counties where only a tiny fraction of the population had been black."
Many U.S. Blacks Moving to South, Reversing Trend
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us...pagewanted=all

"Black population growth in the South"

"Black flight"

"Increasingly Blacks are moving to places with small black populations"

It's a demographic fact. Younger and more educated Blacks are fleeing blue states, deliberately choosing to move to red states in search of "better opportunities," and are even deliberately choosing to move to places where only a tiny fraction of the population is Black. Not sure why you can't accept that fact.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM

73,231 posts, read 63,096,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why do Republican politicians want black people to vote for them before they agree to do something for them? Why can't they simply overtake that vote with policies that make welfare seem insignificant to poor people?
In my opinion, it might not be about that. I believe it is more about Republican politicians not really caring at all. The only time anyone seems to care is when they lose an election. Then the curiosity of why Blacks don't vote Republican comes out. To me, it is more about some people being angry at Blacks because they didn't get the politician that they wanted in office. It is a matter of "Republicans lost, and we blame Blacks for it". I don't see alot of genuine, honest interest to bring Blacks into the Republican fold.

If there was a genuine, honest interest, then there would be outreach towards Blacks. George Voinovich, a Republican in Ohio, did quite well in predominantly Black areas of Cleveland. He worked with African-Americans, listened to them. I've never heard one mention about welfare when it comes to Voinovich. Mike Huckabee managed to get the endorsement of 50 African-American leaders in Atlanta. He gained a large Black vote. Same thing, he listened and worked with African-Americans.

The truth is, I believe many people simply do not care. There are many who have simply reduced Blacks to the issue of welfare, not understanding that Blacks care about far more than just that issue. What I see is an anger towards Blacks.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,325,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is the question Republicans have to ask themselves: What did they do that lost the Latino vote? What did they do that lost the Asian vote?
You're asking the wrong question. A better question is how have those populations been brainwashed by a political party that espouses all of the following, and more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
10 examples of the racist and racially/ethnically stereotypical comments Democrats have made. Many big names, too:

"The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years." — Louis Farrakhan who campaigned for Democratic congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002, City College audience in New York
Collection of Farrakhan's racist quotes: Who is Louis Farrakhan?

"There are white n*ggers. I’ve seen a lot of white n*ggers in my time." - Former Klansman and Democratic US Senator Robert Byrd in March of 2001
Sen. Byrd Apologizes for Racial Epithet - ABC News

Jesse Jackson referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to NYC as "Hymietown" during his 1984 presidential campaign.
Washingtonpost.com Special Report

"A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee." "The only reason you are endorsing him (Obama) is because he's black. Let's just be clear."- Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy
Bill Clinton told Ted Kennedy that Obama 'would be getting us coffee' a few years ago: 'Game Change' - NY Daily News

Harry Reid on Obama: Obama, as a black candidate, could be successful thanks, in part, to his "light-skinned" appearance and speaking patterns "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."
Reid apologizes for racial remarks about Obama during campaign - CNN.com

"I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia [Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter] that he would have been a great senator at any moment. . . . He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this nation." - Democratic US Senator Christopher Dodd in 2004
Dodd Says He Regrets 'Poor Choice Of Words' - NYTimes.com

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man." - current US VP, Joe Biden
A Dubious Compliment - Top 10 Joe Biden Gaffes - TIME

"We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. They ought to go." - ex-Washington, D.C. mayor, Marion Barry
'We've got to do something about these Asians coming in': Marion Barry sparks race row | Mail Online

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person..." - Barack Obama
Obama 'Typical White Person' Comment Delights Clinton Aides - US News

And this one is important because it exposes the lie, and the fact that many of you have been duped and manipulated for votes:

"Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness." - Mary Frances Berry, former chairwoman of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights under President Bill Clinton
Dyson: Far-Right Addicted to Paranoia About Race - CBS News
How are you liking our "first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean" president, as VP Biden refers to Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies