Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times

Advertisements

Back in 2008, people pretty much worshipped him. People at school(at the college) and everywhere else wore Obama T-shirts, people had those huge Obama "Hope" banners in their yards, Hollywood went apesh*t over him, and people rallied the streets in different cities when he won. I had a college instructor who said "it's a beautiful new day for our country." During the inauguration we watched it in class and some people were acting all giddy. He was like a Messiah to them who would bring "hope and change" and would solve all the country's problems.

Looking back, do you think our country looked foolish to worship him like this? He hasn't done anything besides run the country to the ground.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Excessive adulation of a politician was silly at the time and is silly at any time. I declined to vote for Obama for a second term, but I am not aware of any sense in which the country is now more "run into the ground" than it was on 1-20-09.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Nope. Obama was a lot of things in 2008, but an embarrassment wasn't one of them.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Back in 2008, people pretty much worshipped him. People at school(at the college) and everywhere else wore Obama T-shirts, people had those huge Obama "Hope" banners in their yards, Hollywood went apesh*t over him, and people rallied the streets in different cities when he won. I had a college instructor who said "it's a beautiful new day for our country." During the inauguration we watched it in class and some people were acting all giddy. He was like a Messiah to them who would bring "hope and change" and would solve all the country's problems.

Looking back, do you think our country looked foolish to worship him like this? He hasn't done anything besides run the country to the ground.
Right-wingers showing off their highly selective 2001-2008 amnesia again

The country was ALREADY deep in the ground by the time Obama assumed the presidency

Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:

People's response to him was very foolish.

More than foolish though, as I watched the response to Obama back then I found it disconcerting. He was applying for a government job (admittedly the biggest job in the country, but even the president of the United States is nothing more than a government employee). He was applying for a job in which we (you and me) would be paying his salary.

I was concerned about the euphoria surrounding him. Concerned about the media not vetting the way I though he should be vetted. Concerned that enough people were not asking enough questions about him, and when he started talking about fundamental transformation the media (and the public) never asked what exactly he meant by that. When he started the "oceans ceasing to rise and the planet healing" stuff I watched the pure, unthinking, unquestioning, emotional and visceral response to him and remember thinking that it made me very uneasy. No public servant should have been able to have that kind of power over a people. I hope that it never happens again in this country.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Do not for a second forget why people insisted upon "change". He had things going for him, but the need for "change" IS what put him over the top in a big way.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Right-wingers showing off their highly selective 2001-2008 amnesia again

The country was ALREADY deep in the ground by the time Obama assumed the presidency
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Do not for a second forget why people insisted upon "change". He had things going for him, but the need for "change" IS what put him over the top in a big way.
So, back on topic, do you think the adulation that was given to him was an embarrassment. You failed to answer the question, you instead deflected.

The Obama Chia pets? Was that too much?

How about the Obama Family Wii package?

The Obama coins?

The t-shirts?

The banners?

Everywhere you looked, people were acting like they were twelve year old girls at a One Direction concert.

As juneaubound pointed out, no one questioned, they all just accepted what was said, and all interpreted what was said based on how they wanted things to go, not how their new perceived savior actually meant.

Do you think it's embarrassing how so many people were worshiping the ground he walked on?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So, back on topic, do you think the adulation that was given to him was an embarrassment. You failed to answer the question, you instead deflected.

The Obama Chia pets? Was that too much?

How about the Obama Family Wii package?

The Obama coins?

The t-shirts?

The banners?

Everywhere you looked, people were acting like they were twelve year old girls at a One Direction concert.

As juneaubound pointed out, no one questioned, they all just accepted what was said, and all interpreted what was said based on how they wanted things to go, not how their new perceived savior actually meant.

Do you think it's embarrassing how so many people were worshiping the ground he walked on?
Thank you. People are trying to tip toe around this.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:

It would have looked foolish no matter what he did. He could have been as great a president as Ronald Reagan and it still would have looked foolish. Just like the people in those old videos fainting at the sight of Elvis or the Beatles look foolish. Celebrity worship is inherently foolish. You could invent a limitless clean energy source or cure cancer and if people go around singing songs of praise to you, they will look foolish.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
It was embarrassing then and even more so now. Cult like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies