Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Prior to Obamacare, the only plan offered to me - a reasonably healthy 22 year old girl - was one very similar to the OP's. It was around $650 a month with a $10,000 deductible due to minor preexisting conditions that I had not been on treatment for in years - including counseling following a rape. Luckily, I was able to find a job with health insurance because I was diagnosed with cancer a few months later. I would have hit the deductible within the first few months of the year for the last 5 years. All other plans rejected me long before I even had cancer on my medical files.

We all don't have 10 years to save for our medical disasters.

I would also like to know how many people the OP's plan is supposed to cover.
Explain your worthiness to command someone else's labors for your benefit.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
These are the health insurance exchange individual market plans going in my state

You pay $625 per month, then any time you get sick, go to the doctor, you pay full cost out of your own pocket unless you have more than $10,000 of medical bills. Then the excess over $10,000 in the same year is covered

You also pay 625 each month on top THIS

Is this an affordable health plan?
That sounds like our old plan and it was good for the two of us. Now we pay over $1,100 a month with an $11,000 deductible. I had a "procedure" in May and we spent out of pocket $16,000......yep affordable not. Wait until the subsidies vanish and they are going to vanish sooner than later is appears. Stop complaining because it will only get worse when the government tries to fix it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh ok... my rates went up 40%, deductible has doubled so that means I must be helping you pay.

whew... I can barely afford my "new catastrophic" insurance.. had to cut back, having to tell my kids no a lot more, having to push retirement date to a later date... but I feel better now. I get to pay for you. <sarcasm>

A law so good Obama had to LIE to Americans so they will be forced to pay more and it's fine by you.
We have been paying for "them" all our working lives and it gets me when the young progressives start to whine about paying for my social security or my medicare that I have paid into all my working life...they do not want to contribute now, but still expect others to pay for their health insurance and birth control.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, it wasn't a typing error.

The fact is, you conflate the two at every point.

I'd love for everyone to be able to afford insurance so they never suffer want in terms of medical care.

There's just no way for that to happen, and government intrusion only worsens the problem.
Actually it was an typing error, I don't care if you believe that or not, but I have been talking about insurance this entire time.

The bold part is why I said you are a part of the "healthcare insurance for only those that can afford it" camp. Thank you for proving me right.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually it was an typing error, I don't care if you believe that or not, but I have been talking about insurance this entire time.

The bold part is why I said you are a part of the "healthcare insurance for only those that can afford it" camp. Thank you for proving me right.
Wrong. I WANT everyone to have whatever they need.

I told you, I'm the authority on what I want, you cannot contradict me, because any attempt to do so is a contradiction of the only authority on the subject - therefore a lie.

You think it can happen by punitively taxing those who work to achieve that they want and need, and I know that is counterproductive and results in an ever larger percentage of those who are unable to. You have not sought to defend the results of what you think should be done, you only seek to discredit criticism by attacking the character of those who provide reasoned criticism through dishonest argument. As is SO clearly demonstrated in this thread.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wrong. I WANT everyone to have whatever they need.

I told you, I'm the authority on what I want, you cannot contradict me, because any attempt to do so is a contradiction of the only authority on the subject - therefore a lie.

You think it can happen by punitively taxing those who work to achieve that they want and need, and I know that is counterproductive and results in an ever larger percentage of those who are unable to. You have not sought to defend the results of what you think should be done, you only seek to discredit criticism by attacking the character of those who provide reasoned criticism through dishonest argument. As is SO clearly demonstrated in this thread.
Oh I heard you, you want everyone to have health insurance, but you don't think that can actually happen, so you accept the fact that healthcare insurance should only be available to those who can afford it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
For many people, finding $10K is as impossible as finding $1M. I wouldn't be able to, especially after shelling out $625/mo on insurance. This is crazy. The weirdest thing is that this comes from Eric, who never writes anything negative about Obama. Then again, I'm betting he'll get to the point of putting the entire thing on insurance companies. I can't wait to read more of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Liberals are agasp....and therefore silent....that this could be happening in their precious Obamacare exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I loved it when I saw it was Eric....

But, like the ACA itself.......we will have to wait and see were it goes.
Agree, I was surprised it was Eric. This is Obamacare for you...and it's happening to a liberal, a very liberal liberal...I'm going to get some popcorn.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,786,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Perhaps a more accurate way of describing the situation is that a medical condition precipitates a substantial percentages of personal bankruptcies. The cost of hospitalization, treatment and lost wages takes a toll.
Maybe.

The issue is the lost wages (from inability to work due to health problems) and lack of savings is the true reason for bankruptcy.

70-80% of bankruptcies blamed on medical cost are from people who already had health insurance. The average medical debt citied was around $18000. Keep in mind the ACA max out of pocket in network expenses is $12700 which isn't too far from the $18000.

For people like Obama to activately promote the ACA will help most american avoid bankrupty is just misleading.

Way too many variable factors in BK filings. Just don't make a blanket statement medical cost has the primary cause.

People don't have 3-6 months of savings. Most people don't carry personal disability insurance (either temporary or permanent disability) etc. People don't carry life insurance so when primary wage earner is medically unable to work than dies, they are screwed.

Those are just some of the factors for bankruptcy.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh I heard you, you want everyone to have health insurance, but you don't think that can actually happen, so you accept the fact that healthcare insurance should only be available to those who can afford it.
Repeated for emphasis:

Quote:
You have not sought to defend the results of what you think should be done, you only seek to discredit criticism by attacking the character of those who provide reasoned criticism through dishonest argument. As is SO clearly demonstrated in this thread.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,797,331 times
Originally Posted by EricS39
So the $625 per month premium is what you need to cough up to cover the risk you will spend more than $10,000 in medical bills in the same year. On top this, the first $10,000 in medical bills and everything else, you pay from your own pocket same as no insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You are only "insured" against losing your home. If you can't find $10K to save your own life, then you have other problems.
Wow... talk about selective ignorance. His point is that affordable isn't so affordable. If he has no subsidies, then he's paying twice as much as a high deductible HSA, and getting the same or worse coverage.

Just wait until all those mandates kick in.

It's good be an insurance company these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies