Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 02:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times

Advertisements

Atheism is a religion unto itself.

Hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM

13,472 posts, read 9,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Atheism is a religion unto itself.

Hypocrisy.
How?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,904,794 times
If heterosexuals had a booth about birth conrol homosexuals would want a booth for some reason as well though birth control has nothing to do with them.

It's the progressive mentality of equality - we get equal billing no matter what the subject is.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
If heterosexuals had a booth about birth conrol homosexuals would want a booth for some reason as well though birth control has nothing to do with them.

It's the progressive mentality of equality - we get equal billing no matter what the subject is.
And the conservative mentality would be to use the power of government to promote their message while using to power of government to ban opposing messages.

Case in point: this city and these two booths.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM

1,268 posts, read 800,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don't understand what your point is in regards to my question about the purpose of the atheist booth.

The religious booth exist for people who wish to seek guidance, solace or shared prayer from the people at the booth who are acting as representatives of that particular religion which is based upon a shared set of beliefs and values. What shared values and beliefs would the atheist booth use to assist those who approach the booth? If there is not a set of shared values and beliefs among all atheists other then the lack of belief in a god or gods then what values and beliefs are the people at the atheist booth representing? If it's just their own personal beliefs then why would it need to be connected to atheism?
So you don't feel the shared belief in no god is not a belief? This is not a place for those representatives to discuss their beliefs and humanism? If you remove prayer and replace it with meditation on the experience of being human, will that meet your criteria? Basically, you are attempting to disqualify beliefs because they are not your own. Perhaps, the atheist wish to have a booth to share their ideas and gain strength from like-minded individuals. I doubt that all members of each religous denomination share the exact same beliefs and values; however, if you have PROOF that your values are the exact same as every member of your congregation, your point (though still irrelevant) would be stronger.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,774,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
So you don't feel the shared belief in no god is not a belief? This is not a place for those representatives to discuss their beliefs and humanism? If you remove prayer and replace it with meditation on the experience of being human, will that meet your criteria? Basically, you are attempting to disqualify beliefs because they are not your own. Perhaps, the atheist wish to have a booth to share their ideas and gain strength from like-minded individuals. I doubt that all members of each religous denomination share the exact same beliefs and values; however, if you have PROOF that your values are the exact same as every member of your congregation, your point (though still irrelevant) would be stronger.
No, I do feel that the shared belief in no god is a belief. Obviously it is. I just don't see atheists as a whole sharing a collective view beyond that. According to my understanding, there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere and that is where it differs from religion. Humanism is separate from atheism and therefore, not particularly relevant to the atheist booth discussion.

I'm a very open minded person and don't have a problem with people having beliefs that are different from my own. You may have missed it but I don't belong to any congregation and don't even consider myself to be a religious person. I just wanted to know what the purpose of atheist booth is. To me it sounds like a" tit for tat" situation of "they get a booth so we need to have one too" and in my view, that's childish. Maybe if there were more details as to the overall purpose of both the "prayer booth" and the "reason booth", my opinion might change, but based on what I have read from various articles I can see why the "reason booth" was rejected.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
This is a discussion board. Generally in a discussion people offer up information to support their viewpoints. If all you have to offer is arrogance without substance, I'm not particularly interested in talking to you. I have read up on atheism and haven't found atheists as a whole to share a specific set of beliefs and values.

I asked you a question in my post that you ignored so I don't feel particularly inclined to respond to your "update". I've noticed that You make a lot of unfounded assumptions.
Neither do Christians. That is why there are 40,000 splinter groups.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,774,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Neither do Christians. That is why there are 40,000 splinter groups.
But the splinter groups do share a common set of beliefs and values and I'm assuming that if they set up a booth to offer "solace and guidance" to people, it would be based on those shared values and beliefs rather then just a belief that God exists.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
based on what I have read from various articles I can see why the "reason booth" was rejected.
Why was the "Reason Booth" rejected? And how was its rejection in accordance with city policy?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:19 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
But the splinter groups do share a common set of beliefs and values and I'm assuming that if they set up a booth to offer "solace and guidance" to people, it would be based on those shared values and beliefs rather then just a belief that God exists.
So, then, if apple growers all grow different apples and rent a table to hand out apples everything is fine, but when an orange grower moves to town and wants to set up a table he should be denied because the mayor believes that apples are the One True Fruit?

I don't understand that logic in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies