Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Doesn't that cause people to go crazy while on it?
Ambien's crazy stuff, many stories of people sleep walking and even going for a drive and remembering nothing the next day, I'll take a toke or two and a glass of wine over it anytime and not have any blackout period the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
True. You do have to WANT to quit. I guess I haven't reached that point yet. I mean, there is some enjoyment with it. After a meal, after sex, after a joint, with a cup of coffee, with a beer....
I agree, you have to want it, no one else. The odd thing is the first time I quit I had no intentions of quitting, I was reading the Sunday newspaper and enjoying the ol' coffee and cigarette for breakfast when I looked at my cig, decided I didn't need it, threw half a pack in the garbage and never touched one for 7 years, I still haven't figured that one out.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ambien's crazy stuff, many stories of people sleep walking and even going for a drive and remembering nothing the next day, I'll take a toke or two and a glass of wine over it anytime and not have any blackout period the next day.
And people wonder why I refuse to go to a doctor. With them prescribing out crazy stuff like that.

Two years ago, I went to the doctor because I had a bad cold. The doctor gave me Lorazopam. Sure, I thought, great this should help clear up the cold. Guess I shold have done more. Never even broke the seal on that stuff. No thanks!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM

75 posts, read 123,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You have an addictive personality. It wouldn't have mattered which drug you tried first, you would have become an addict no matter what.
That's exactly what I thought when I read his/her message.

Most people are really poor at establishing cause and effect. Put two incidents together, and they figure one caused the other.

So someone becomes an alcoholic. Is that because she smoked marijuana when she was a teenager? She did that. Must be a cause!

Wait a minute, though. She also had an alcoholic father. Could that be related? Nah.

She also sniffed glue. Related? I do think glue sniffing leads to addiction. Could be!

She also ate Cap'n Crunch daily. A connection? Most definitely! Cap'n Crunch is evil! Actually, it's likely that the Cap'n Crunch led to glue sniffing, marijuana smoking, and alcoholism!

Cap'n Crunch is a gateway food. Make it illegal!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
And people wonder why I refuse to go to a doctor. With them prescribing out crazy stuff like that.

Two years ago, I went to the doctor because I had a bad cold. The doctor gave me Lorazopam. Sure, I thought, great this should help clear up the cold. Guess I shold have done more. Never even broke the seal on that stuff. No thanks!
I'd at least like a Dr. who considers the potential side-effects of what he prescribes to be more important than what the drug company reps are do for him.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
alcohol and pot no comparison!!!

my brother was a full fledge alcoholic when he was in his teens, in other words he was so bad he couldn't even function.. he finally quite when he was like 22, and was dry for 29 years and in all those 29 years he smoked pot he had no problems functioning.. and he is a workaholic granite counter top and kitchen installer who is one of the best here on island, and is recommended by word of mouth ..

no you can not be sober and high at the same time!!!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
You have an addictive personality. It wouldn't have mattered which drug you tried first, you would have become an addict no matter what. That is not a personal slam on you, that is just the fact of the matter--addictive personalities become addicts.

Not all of us have addictive personalities, however. I've been drinking alcohol socially for many years and never became an alcoholic, but my ex-husband, who I was with from the time we both were 17, is a raging alcoholic now. The difference is that he is an addictive personality and I am not. Ditto for pot smoking--no addiction on my part, just social enjoyment.

You have a problem with substances. No reason everyone should have to suffer because you lack control.

you do not know me but you can diagnose me?
not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic
not everyone who smokes a joint becomes an addict
I never said they would
and being an alcoholic has zero to do with lack of control
good grief

Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
you do not know me but you can diagnose me?
You said you were both a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. If you want to believe those two things don't add up to being an addictive personality, you are welcomed to your denial.

You also said this:

Quote:
I was 18 that pot led to all sorts of heavier drugs. to act like it is harmless is bull
NOW, when called on it, you admit:

Quote:
not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic
not everyone who smokes a joint becomes an addict
And that was the point I was making. To someone like you, with an addictive personality, one drink would probably lead you back into your addiction. To the rest of us, a glass of wine is just a glass of wine. Don't advocate legislating away everyone's right to partake of a substance just because you have no ability to control your addictions.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 08-01-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
You said you were both a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. If you want to believe those two things don't add up to being an addictive personality, you are welcomed to your denial.

You also said this:

NOW, when called on it, you admit:

And that was the point I was making. To someone like you, with an addictive personality, one drink would probably lead you back into your addiction. To the rest of us, a glass of wine is just a glass of wine. Don't attempt to legislate away everyone's right to partake of a substance just because you have no ability to control your addictions.

that guy just doesn't get it.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM

75 posts, read 123,751 times
To the degree that pot is a substitute for alcohol--or prompts one to drink less--it is darn near the best anti-alcohol antidote going!

And that's why I would presume that the alcohol industry does not want to see marijuana legalized. I personally would smoke a joint any day over drinking. No hangover and more fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies