Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Stephen A Smith is master of his craft, but I often wish that sports commentators would get back to talking about sports instead of off-field drama. Too many times I click on ESP radio while driving to work, and it sounds like an episode of Ophrah or Dr. Phil. 9 times out of 10, I click to another station after 10 seconds or so. Stephen A is one of a tiny number of guys who is insightful and interesting enough to be able to talk about stuff like that.

I clicked the OP's link; it doesn't quote exactly what was said, and I'm not interested enough to track down a quote or video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:53 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Of course you do. Unfortunately, corporate America is now hypersensitive about the possibility of offending anyone.
You dont need to tell me. And it's getting worse with the social media and the media becoming more left and Politically Correct.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Problem is we don't know the whole story.........never do.
What do you mean we don't know the whole story? He made the comment on air.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You are the last person that should comment, since it is pretty damn clear you have comprehension issues.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So...............don't turn the channnel back on then. Pretty simple stuff. Or they could just not have hired him in the first place. Have you ever listened to that guy blab to begin with? I guess not. Now liberals all mad and upset and "offended". Gimme a freaking break.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
Hugh Douglas gets fired from numbers never lie for something that happened off tv

Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Fired for what? What the hell did he friggin say that deserves a suspension let alone being fired?! This country is going insane! You people are so damn pathetic with your overly sensitive, pc, feminist, bull crap! He DID NOT condone violence. Period. So what the hell did he say that deserves any punishment at all?

^^This is why you lose women by double-digits.

He did not condone violence, he just said abused women often brought it upon themselves. That's all.

lol

Is this the right's new issue of the day? Can I bookmark this next time someone on the right says the war on women is imaginary?

Just don't complain about losing Presidential elections any longer, you guys aren't even trying to get people to support you anymore.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post

He did not condone violence, he just said abused women often brought it upon themselves. That's all.
Well don't women bring being hit upon themselves? I mean, women who dress slutty sometimes provoke and are responsible for being raped. Isn't it just like that?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post

lol

Is this the right's new issue of the day? Can I bookmark this next time someone on the right says the war on women is imaginary?

Just don't complain about losing Presidential elections any longer, you guys aren't even trying to get people to support you anymore.
Another comprehension fail.

''Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong action ... we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen again.''

You tell me where in that statement that he said women bring it on themselves? He simply stated common damn sense. Do I have to explain this to you like you are five?

In the Rice incident, Rice was spit on, the upper cut his fiance. Clearly, no one said he should have done that. However, the point Stephen was making is that you dont know how some people are going to react to something. So use common sense and be careful about your actions. In other words, man or woman, if you spit on someone, there is a chance that they may do something to you that you do not like. No where did he say he supports violence, he just stated common sense.

Again, do you part as in, be damn careful what you do to someone else because in this world that we live in, you never know how they will react.

Why is this so damn difficult for some of you panty waists to understand?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Another comprehension fail.

''Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong action ... we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen again.''

You tell me where in that statement that he said women bring it on themselves? He simply stated common damn sense. Do I have to explain this to you like you are five?

In the Rice incident, Rice was spit on, the upper cut his fiance. Clearly, no one said he should have done that. However, the point Stephen was making is that you dont know how some people are going to react to something. So use common sense and be careful about your actions. In other words, man or woman, if you spit on someone, there is a chance that they may do something to you that you do not like. No where did he say he supports violence, he just stated common sense.

Again, do you part as in, be damn careful what you do to someone else because in this world that we live in, you never know how they will react.

Why is this so damn difficult for some of you panty waists to understand?
Smith on Chad Johnson:

There are plenty of instances where provocation comes into consideration, instigation comes into consideration, and I will be on the record right here on national television and say that I am sick and tired of men constantly being vilified and accused of things and we stop there. I’m saying, “Can we go a step further?” Since we want to dig all deeper into Chad Johnson, can we dig in deep to her?

On Ray Rice:

But what I've tried to employ the female members of my family, some of who you all met and talked to and what have you, is that again, and this what, I've done this all my life, let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come, or somebody else come, whether it's law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know, if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesn't negate the fact that they already put their hands on you. So let's try to make sure that we can do our part in making sure that that doesn't happen. Now you got some dudes that are just horrible and they're going to do it anyway, and there's never an excuse to put your hands on a woman. But domestic violence or whatever the case may be, with men putting their hands on women, is obviously a very real, real issue in our society. And I think that just talking about what guys shouldn't do, we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen. We know they're wrong. We know they're criminals. We know they probably deserve to be in jail. In Ray Rice's case, he probably deserves more than a 2-game suspension which we both acknowledged. But at the same time, we also have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there's real provocation, but the elements of provocation, you got to make sure that you address them, because we've got to do is do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening in any way. And I don't think that's broached enough, is all I'm saying. No point of blame.

Let me put it to you this way: Knocking a woman out, whether she spit on you or didn't, is not acceptable, period. A man who knocks a woman out deserves 100% of the blame. The woman deserves 0% of the blame. Provocation doesn't enter into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies